[comp.sys.apple2] Color printing

ag0514@csc.albany.edu (Andy Goldstein) (05/01/91)

I have a GS with 1.5M and sys 5.04, and an IW2.  Since I got 5.04 I have not
been able to print color.  The Chroma "pop-up" in the Print window, always has
color dimmed.  Does anybody have a clue as to why this is?
Andy Goldstein
Internet: ag0514@leah.albany.edu
  Bitnet: ag0514@albny1vx.bitnet
America Online: GOLDSTEIN

2hnemarrow@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (05/01/91)

In article <AG0514.91Apr30140942@eve.albany.edu>, ag0514@csc.albany.edu (Andy Goldstein) writes:
> I have a GS with 1.5M and sys 5.04, and an IW2.  Since I got 5.04 I have not
> been able to print color.  The Chroma "pop-up" in the Print window, always has
> color dimmed.  Does anybody have a clue as to why this is?

Apparantly, someone at Apple thought GS users were too ignorant to know whether
or not they have a color ribbon in the printer, so the print manager checks to
see if there is a color ribbon present.  Unfortunately, the print manager isn't
nearly as bright as the average color-blind wumpus and isn't always right.  To
fix the problem, just click the cancel button and turn the printer off and on
again.  That usually works for me.

Yes I'm being sarcastic, but I don't get enough sleep.  Now, leave me alone.
--
 _-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
'                                                            | This   '

sharris@chopin.udel.edu (Scott A Harris) (05/01/91)

In article <AG0514.91Apr30140942@eve.albany.edu> ag0514@csc.albany.edu (Andy Goldstein) writes:
>I have a GS with 1.5M and sys 5.04, and an IW2.  Since I got 5.04 I have not
>been able to print color.  The Chroma "pop-up" in the Print window, always has
>color dimmed.  Does anybody have a clue as to why this is?
>--
>Andy Goldstein
>Internet: ag0514@leah.albany.edu
>  Bitnet: ag0514@albny1vx.bitnet
>America Online: GOLDSTEIN

Ahhhhhhh yes, I too have been having this problem.  No solution though.
Maybe Todd can help us out.

Scott

--
Scott A. Harris   sharris @ brahms.udel.edu   sharris @ chopin.udel.edu
                 HIO01142 @ udelvm.udel.edu    harris @ freezer.it.udel.edu

ericm@sage.cc.purdue.edu (Eric Mulholland) (05/01/91)

In article <17019@chopin.udel.edu> sharris@chopin.udel.edu (Scott A Harris) writes:
>Ahhhhhhh yes, I too have been having this problem.  No solution though.
>Maybe Todd can help us out.

My name isn't Todd, but I may be able to help.  When you select the
print window, it sends a cade to the printer asking it if it has a
color ribbon installed.  If the printer says yes, than the color
option is selectable.  If the printer says no or doesn't answer, then
color is dimmed.  In the imagewritter ]['s case, if it is turnned off,
or is offline, it won't answer and thus no color.  Just make sure the
printer is turnned on and is online, that should let you select color.
--
      ____
  Y_,_|[]|   Eric Mulholland

daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Dave Huang) (05/01/91)

In article <17019@chopin.udel.edu> sharris@chopin.udel.edu (Scott A Harris) writes:
>In article <AG0514.91Apr30140942@eve.albany.edu> ag0514@csc.albany.edu (Andy Goldstein) writes:
>>I have a GS with 1.5M and sys 5.04, and an IW2.  Since I got 5.04 I have not
>>been able to print color.  The Chroma "pop-up" in the Print window, always has
>>color dimmed.  Does anybody have a clue as to why this is?

>Ahhhhhhh yes, I too have been having this problem.  No solution though.
>Maybe Todd can help us out.

>Scott

I'm not Todd, but I play him on TV :-) The new printer drives check to
see if you actually have a color ribbon in the printer. If you don't,
then it won't highlight the Color option. Try sticking in a color
ribbon and see if that helps. If not, it could be that that little
silver switch in the ribbon carrier is broken or something...
--
David Huang                                 |
Internet: daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu          | "One with a face made of metal

lucifer@world.std.com (Kevin S Green) (05/01/91)

In article <17019@chopin.udel.edu> sharris@chopin.udel.edu (Scott A Harris) writes:
|In article <AG0514.91Apr30140942@eve.albany.edu> ag0514@csc.albany.edu (Andy Goldstein) writes:
|>I have a GS with 1.5M and sys 5.04, and an IW2.  Since I got 5.04 I have not
|>been able to print color.  The Chroma "pop-up" in the Print window, always has
|>color dimmed.  Does anybody have a clue as to why this is?

|Ahhhhhhh yes, I too have been having this problem.  No solution though.
|Maybe Todd can help us out.
|
|Scott
|--
|Scott A. Harris   sharris @ brahms.udel.edu   sharris @ chopin.udel.edu
|                 HIO01142 @ udelvm.udel.edu    harris @ freezer.it.udel.edu
|     	       71311,2700 @ CompuServe      s.harris12 @ GEnie
You need to first put a color ribbon into your Imagewriter II printer.
The driver can detect whether you have a single or multi-color
ribbon in your printer. The person who wrote the IWII driver is
obviously someone who pays attention to detail, ie you shouldn't
be able to print in color unless the printer is outfitted for
color printing.
--
Kevin S. Green / lucifer@world.std.com / {xylogics;uunet}!world!lucifer

sharris@chopin.udel.edu (Scott A Harris) (05/02/91)

In article <1991Apr30.180952.30225@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> 2hnemarrow@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
>In article <AG0514.91Apr30140942@eve.albany.edu>, ag0514@csc.albany.edu (Andy Goldstein) writes:
>> I have a GS with 1.5M and sys 5.04, and an IW2.  Since I got 5.04 I have not
>> been able to print color.  The Chroma "pop-up" in the Print window, always has
>> color dimmed.  Does anybody have a clue as to why this is?
>
>Apparantly, someone at Apple thought GS users were too ignorant to know whether
>or not they have a color ribbon in the printer, so the print manager checks to
>see if there is a color ribbon present.  Unfortunately, the print manager isn't
>nearly as bright as the average color-blind wumpus and isn't always right.  To
>fix the problem, just click the cancel button and turn the printer off and on
>again.  That usually works for me.
>
>Yes I'm being sarcastic, but I don't get enough sleep.  Now, leave me alone.
>--
> _-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
>'                                                            | This   '
> This recession too shall pass, but Congress goes on forever.| Space
> ------------------------------------                        |  for
> 2hnemarrow@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu       |     -- Louis Rukeyser | Rent
> PPark@volta.ece.ukans.edu            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> * Christopher Robin at Bloom County BBS, Dearborn, MI: 313-582-0888
>   Preston Park at Macrocosm BBS, Lawrence, KS: 913-841-9446

Well this fixed the problem trying to print in Apple Works GS, but I have
always had the same problem when trying to print with Paintworks Gold.
when I tell it to print in either b/w or in color it just form feeds the
paper and gives me a pretty white sheet of paper.
Any solution to this one?

Scott

.

--

taob@pnet91.cts.com (Brian Tao) (05/02/91)

From ag0514@csc.albany.edu (Andy Goldstein):

> The Chroma "pop-up" in the Print window, always has color dimmed.  Does
> anybody have a clue as to why this is?

    Stick in a colour ribbon first.  :)  There's a little switch on the ribbon
carrier which tells the printer if a colour ribbon is in there or not.  That's
how the ImageWriter 4.x driver knows when to dim the Chroma pop-up menu.

Brian T. Tao   *B-) |  t569taob@bluffs.scar.utoronto.ca  | "Though this be
U of Metro Toronto  |               - or -               |  madness, yet there
Scarberia, ON       |        taob@pnet91.cts.com         |  is method in 't."