[comp.sys.apple2] Cosmocade GS

macausla@newton.ccs.tuns.ca (Robert MacAusland) (11/08/90)

I just finished downloading Cosmocade, the latest (and hopefully not
the last) effort by the Pangea software duo, Brian Greenstone and
Dave Triplett and all I say is 'Wow!!'  The game is actually two
separate contests in one.  The first game is a forward scrolling action
shoot-em-up which is similar to Xevious.  The second game resembles
Operation Wolf with an alien theme (kill at anything that
moves...) The graphics are really well done and make good use of shading
to add depth to the various displays.  There is also a separate musical score
for each scenario (which does tend to get on your nerves after a while, if you
play it too long at full volume :-)  The gameplay is about the only uneven
thing about the games which could construed as negative.  Calibus (the
Xevious clone) is bit too easy for my tastes (I finished all the levels
after my second try)  Nexus on the other hand is too damn hard which
is more of an asset than a debit (a little accounting humor here :-) I guess.
And as with Orbizone, you also have the option of creating your own
backgrounds, with an extremely easy to use editor.  The music is excellent as
usual and has a different score for each scenario...

On a down note Brian and Dave didn't finish the game - it remains
about 90% complete, and they indicated that if they don't receive
some support on this project, it will be their last ever for the GS :-(
And the fact that they couldn't even find a company willing to publish
this great game is a sad commentary on the GS game market.  They also
indicated that if enough people do send in their $10 shareware fee they
might consider completing the game...

So download the game and give it a try.  It requires 768K and is currently
available from tybalt.caltech.edu in the pub/apple2/uploads directory.

If anyone who doesn't have access to either Ftp or Bitftp, send me mail
and I'll forward you a copy...

--
/* Robert MacAusland -> macausla@newton.ccs.tuns.ca */

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (11/09/90)

In article <90Nov7.131453est.57458@ugw.utcs.utoronto.ca> macausla@newton.ccs.tuns.ca (Robert MacAusland) writes:
>So download the game and give it a try.  It requires 768K and is currently
>available from tybalt.caltech.edu in the pub/apple2/uploads directory.

By the way, there are upgrades to V1.1 for both NEXUS and CALIBUS,
available from AOL among other places.  However, apart from fixing a
problem with score keeping, they don't seem to be essential.

lecates@chopin.udel.edu (Roy M Lecates) (05/02/91)

I found the best shareware game ever written for the Apple IIgs.
It's called COSMOCADE and is written by Brian Greenstone and Dave Triplett.
If you have seen any of their other games (Orbizone, Senseless Violence, etc.)
you will undoubtedly agree that this is their best yet.  It includes two games
within the one package.  A message in the game says that they will add
another module to the game if 20 people send in the $10 shareware fee.  I'm
sending mine in tomorrow.  I hope that 19+ others out there will do the same.

I'm serious about this.  Brian and Dave deserve some credit (and cash) for
their efforts.  Cosmocade will make you agree.  CHECK IT OUT!!

I found Cosmocade at the FTP site:   tybalt.caltech.edu
in the directory:                    pub/apple2/games

If anyone cannot access an FTP site, I'll e-mail you a copy.  Gotta try it!

Roy LeCates
lecates@chopin.udel.edu