[comp.sys.apple2] Terminal Emulator Recomendations

jmorris@hpsemc.cup.hp.com (John V. Morris) (04/25/91)

Any suggestions for terminal emulators on an Apple //e?  I'm a non-apple
user who is attempting to help a friend get access to usenet.  He has an
Apple //e,  a UNIX account and a Hayes compatible modem.   Now we need
the software to make it all work.

Ideally, the software would:
  o Emulate a VT100 terminal
  o Support scripts for automatically logging on to remote systems.
    (ie. send a string, wait for a response)
  o Execute a script on startup.
  o Be either free or very cheap.

My goal is to give my friend a floppy disc that he can insert into his machine,
and shortly thereafter he will be automatically logged in and reading his mail.

Are there *good* public domain terminal emulators?  If we need to buy a
package, which is the most cost-effective?   Also, I've assumed the 9-pin
connector on the back of his //e is an RS-232 port.  If so, does it use the
same modem cable as the IBM PC?

Thanks,

John Morris
(408)447-4155
jmorris@hpsemc.hp.com

alfter@nevada.edu (SCOTT ALFTER) (04/26/91)

In article <22900001@hpsemc.cup.hp.com> jmorris@hpsemc.cup.hp.com (John V. Morris) writes:
>Any suggestions for terminal emulators on an Apple //e?  I'm a non-apple
>user who is attempting to help a friend...
>
>Ideally, the software would:
>  o Emulate a VT100 terminal

Kermit does this, and it's free.

>  o Support scripts for automatically logging on to remote systems.

Kermit doesn't do this, but ProTERM and Talk Is Cheap do.  In any
case, I wouldn't recommend using login macros or scripts with your
typical UNIX box; it's too big a security hole.  I only keep macros
for local BBSes; I feed the passwords to the local UNIX box and to
GEnie manually.

>  o Execute a script on startup.

ProTERM doesn't do this, but Talk Is Cheap does.  Overall, TIC has the
better scripting ability--and it costs less ($40 vs. $80).  TIC,
however, doesn't do VT-100 emulation.

>  o Be either free or very cheap.

Kermit is freeware.  TIC and ProTERM are both commercial offerings at
the prices given above.

>My goal is to give my friend a floppy disc that he can insert into his machine,
>and shortly thereafter he will be automatically logged in and reading his mail.

No telecomm program will run without some sort of initial setup,
including time to put any scripts together.  As I said earlier,
though, you probably shouldn't even bother with automated logins; it's
too big a security risk.

>Are there *good* public domain terminal emulators?

There aren't _any_ PD telecomm programs that I know of for the II.
There are some freeware and shareware programs, though; of these,
Kermit is probably the most reliable, if a bit difficult to get around
in.  (If you already know your way around the MeSsy-DOS version,
though, you'll find that the Apple II version is very similar.)

>If we need to buy a
>package, which is the most cost-effective?

Depends on what you want to do.  ProTERM offers a wider range of
terminal emulations and is easier to use.  TIC offers a much better
scripting language and costs much less.  It's a toss-up between these
two, which are the most popular commercial Apple II telecomm programs.
(BTW, both TIC and ProTERM started out long ago as shareware, so you
might find older versions on some BBSes.)

>Also, I've assumed the 9-pin
>connector on the back of his //e is an RS-232 port.  If so, does it use the
>same modem cable as the IBM PC?

Nope--the 9-pin connector built into the machine is the joystick port.
If you don't already have a Super Serial Card (or a compatible), go
and get one.  It uses a standard 25-pin serial connector--none of
Apple's mini-DIN silliness as in the Macs and GS.

Scott Alfter-----------------------------_/_----------------------------
Call the Skunk Works BBS (702) 896-2676 / v \ 6 PM-6 AM 300/1200/2400
Internet: alfter@uns-helios.nevada.edu (    ( Apple II:
   GEnie: S.ALFTER                      \_^_/ the power to be your best!

MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET (04/27/91)

On Fri, 26 Apr 91 16:55:28 GMT SCOTT ALFTER said:

>There aren't _any_ PD telecomm programs that I know of for the II.
>There are some freeware and shareware programs, though; of these,

I've always thought that PD (publick domain) meant programs that can be
legally distributed through the public domain... such as all programs that
are on BBSs (except pirate BBSs of course), all programs that are uploaded
to Apple2-L, and all these FTP sites.  If I'm wrong, what's the difference
between PD software and (freeware/shareware)?

I know that with freeware software, you aren't obligated to send in money,
and with shareware you are, but they're both in the 'public domain'.

I also realize that alot of people distinguish between freeware and shareware
as saying the shareware ISN'T in the PD, even though, in reality it is.  But
even if that were true,   what would be the difference between PD and freeware?

  BITNET--  mquinn@utcvm    <------------send files here
  pro-line-- mquinn@pro-gsplus.cts.com

daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Dave Huang) (04/27/91)

In article <9104271528.AA13112@apple.com> MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET writes:
>I've always thought that PD (publick domain) meant programs that can be
>legally distributed through the public domain... such as all programs that
>are on BBSs (except pirate BBSs of course), all programs that are uploaded
>to Apple2-L, and all these FTP sites.  If I'm wrong, what's the difference
>between PD software and (freeware/shareware)?

Stuff that is in the Public Domain has no copyright on it. You can get
it and do whatever you want with it, even sell it (if you were the
nasty type :) Freeware and Shareware stuff is copyrighted by the
author, so you can't make changes and distribute the program as yours.

>I know that with freeware software, you aren't obligated to send in money,
>and with shareware you are, but they're both in the 'public domain'.

Nope, there's a difference between being in the public domain and not
costing anything.

>I also realize that alot of people distinguish between freeware and shareware
>as saying the shareware ISN'T in the PD, even though, in reality it is.  But
>even if that were true,   what would be the difference between PD and freeware?

Copyright... PD doesn't have it, freeware does.

--
David Huang                              |
Internet: daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu       |    "How much is that hamster

alfter@nevada.edu (SCOTT ALFTER) (04/29/91)

In article <9104271528.AA13112@apple.com> MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET writes:
>to Apple2-L, and all these FTP sites.  If I'm wrong, what's the difference
>between PD software and (freeware/shareware)?

PD != freeware != shareware != PD

PD (public domain):  no copyright, no fee.
freeware:  no fee, but copyright is maintained by the author.
shareware:  copyrighted; also costs $$$ (usually a small amount)

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (04/30/91)

In article <9104271528.AA13112@apple.com> MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET writes:
>I know that with freeware software, you aren't obligated to send in money,
>and with shareware you are, but they're both in the 'public domain'.

No, when the owner releases something to the public domain, he relinquishes
all ownership rights to it.  Unless he explicitly has released it to the
public domain, an author retains copyright of his creation.  "Freeware"
and "shareware" describe categories of NON-public-domain works for which
the legal owner has announced certain payment policies.

MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET (05/02/91)

Thanks for the reply on the freeware/PD question.