[comp.sys.apple2] Silly ProDOS 8 question...

acct069@CARROLL1.CC.EDU (Ron) (05/01/91)

When ProDOS 8 boots there's a spurt of noise from the speaker.  What is
ProDOS doing to make it do this?  Sometimes the noise is more of a short
chirp than a spurt, does this have any significance?  Doing a cold boot
changes it from a chirp to a burst (the normal sound).

--
Ron                      | Lightning Systems, INC. | Apple // Forever!
acct069@carroll1.cc.edu  | (414) 363-4282  60megs  | I feel the need

alfter@nevada.edu (SCOTT ALFTER) (05/01/91)

Here's a related question.  We know that ProDOS 8 clicks the speaker
when you boot it from a floppy.  Why, then, does it click the speaker
twice when I boot it from my HD?  (40-meg Conner mechanism hooked up
through an Apple DMA SCSI card, plugged into an enhanced IIe, if it
matters.)

Scott Alfter-----------------------------_/_----------------------------
Call the Skunk Works BBS (702) 896-2676 / v \ 6 PM-6 AM 300/1200/2400
Internet: alfter@uns-helios.nevada.edu (    ( Apple II:
   GEnie: S.ALFTER                      \_^_/ the power to be your best!

jdeitch@umiami.ir.miami.edu (Jonathan Deitch) (05/02/91)

alfter@nevada.edu (SCOTT ALFTER) writes:

> Here's a related question.  We know that ProDOS 8 clicks the speaker
> when you boot it from a floppy.  Why, then, does it click the speaker
> twice when I boot it from my HD?  (40-meg Conner mechanism hooked up
> through an Apple DMA SCSI card, plugged into an enhanced IIe, if it
> matters.)
>
> Scott Alfter-----------------------------_/_----------------------------
> Call the Skunk Works BBS (702) 896-2676 / v \ 6 PM-6 AM 300/1200/2400
> Internet: alfter@uns-helios.nevada.edu (    ( Apple II:
>    GEnie: S.ALFTER                      \_^_/ the power to be your best!

Assuming here that you are also booting ProDOS 8 from the HD, my speculation
is this : the click is simply part of ProDOS's initialization proccess. On
my //c it clicks on both 5.25" drives and both Unidisk 3.5" drives.  I don't
see why it wouldn't click on a hard drive.  I guess it just likes to remind
you that you're speaker is there.

Support the II !

- Jonathan
Internet : jdeitch@umiami.miami.edu               | "Good musicians execute
------------------------------------------------- |  their music but bad ones
"I'm a Time Lord.  I walk in eternity !" - Dr Who |  murder it !!! "

edwatkeys@pro-sol.cts.com (Ed Watkeys) (05/02/91)

Unless something is strange about your copy of ProDOS, all you should hear
is a speaker click.  I once read that writing to the speaker clicks it
twice (and that you're always supposed to LDA $c030), so perhaps your
speaker gets in the other position (there are two if I remember) and it
sounds a tad different.  To sum up: ProDOS just toggles the speaker,
perhaps for some effect that emulates a mainframe or something similarly
impressive, but anything I said beyond that is just theorizing (and
probably wrong...)

Ed Watkeys III

Internet: edwatkeys@pro-sol.cts.com  ProLine:  edwatkeys@pro-sol
UUCP:     crash!pro-sol!edwatkeys    ARPA:     crash!pro-sol!edwatkeys@nosc.mil
BitNET:   edwatkeys%pro-sol.cts.com@nosc.mil

parkern@jacobs.CS.ORST.EDU (Neil Parker) (05/02/91)

In article <9105010233.AA21470@carroll1.cc.edu> acct069@CARROLL1.CC.EDU
(Ron) writes:
>When ProDOS 8 boots there's a spurt of noise from the speaker.  What is
>ProDOS doing to make it do this?  Sometimes the noise is more of a short
>chirp than a spurt, does this have any significance?  Doing a cold boot
>changes it from a chirp to a burst (the normal sound).

The reason ProDOS makes noise when it boots is simple.  There is a LDA
$C030 instruction at the beginning of the routine that clears the screen
and displays the intro message ("PRODOS 8 V1.x, COPYRIGHT...", etc.), and
another LDA $C030 instruction at the end of this routine.

I have no idea why those LDA $C030 instructions are there, nor do I have
any idea why the sound seems to vary.

               - Neil Parker
--
Neil Parker                 No cute ASCII art...no cute quote...no cute
parkern@jacobs.cs.orst.edu  disclaimer...no deposit, no return...