[comp.sys.apple2] Hard Drives

lhaider@pro-sol.cts.com (Lawrence Haider) (05/02/90)

>        Obviously you want to get the highest price you can for the drive,
but
>WOW is that steep!  I'm seeing 80 meg SCSI drives in the $500-600 range
>nowadays, and sometimes cheaper...

Ok, I guess I'll have to rethink my pricing.  What I'm trying to do is get a
45 meg removable (Syquest based) hard drive and have to pay as little of the
difference as possible (money from old drive vs. outlay for new).  Does
anyone on the net use a Syquest based removeable HD system on their IIgs?
Yes?  Good, how well does it work, and are you experiencing any difficulties
with it?

lhaider@pro-sol.cts.com

gt0t+@andrew.cmu.edu (Gregory Ross Thompson) (09/22/90)

  I'm gonna be buing a nice Segate 80 meg SCSI drive pretty soon, and
I need to know what cables I'm gonna need for it.  I'm going to buy
the new DMA SCSI card.  Does it come with the needed cables?  Can
anyone give me some general tips on hooking up/formatting/partitioning
this beast?

  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

		-Greg T.

gt0t+@andrew.cmu.edu (Gregory Ross Thompson) (11/03/90)

  Hello everyone.  I recently upgraded my system in a big way, so I decided
to post about what I did, and how easy/hard it was.

  Here's what my system looked like before I made all of these updates:

  ROM 01 GS
  Color monitor
  1 3.5" drive
  1 5.25" drive
  1 failing CMC 20 meg hard drive
  1.25 megs of RAM
  MDIdeas SuperSonic Stereo card and digitizer

  I had been thinking about getting a new hard drive, and maybe some more RAM
for a long time, but between not having the money for either, and having
the feeling that I was getting by with what I had, I figured why should I
bother getting 'em.  My old hard drive changed all of this.  From time to time
(read daily), my old drive would power down by itself and give me a little
error code via the power light.  After calling the maker of the drive, I found
out that the controller was sensing that the drive was spinning below spec
speed, so it was turning itself off.  This made up my mind.  It was time to
upgrade the system.

  Initially, I wanted to buy one of the SyQuest 44meg removable drives.  I
figured it was SCSI, and $640.  Why not.  Well, after doing a little research
I found that I could get a Segate ST1096N 83.9 meg SCSI drive for $440.  Yup,
Twice the storage for $200 less.  How can you argue with that?  So I went
with the Segate.

  Since my old drive wasn't SCSI (it's an MFM mechanism with two controllers
between it and the GS), I needed to get a SCSI card as well.  I'd heard
great things about the RAMFast SCSI card, but at $200, I couldn't really
afford it, and besides, my RAM card was non DMA.  So, I figured that I might
as well get Apple's DMA SCSI card.  That way I wouldn't have to worry about
compatibility problems.  Apple will always provide me with a driver when new
system updates come out.  I didn't feel that I could count on CVTechnologies
to do the same.  You never know when a company's gonna go belly up.  Look
at Applied Ingenuity...

  The first thing I got in the mail was the SCSI card, and it looked like it
was going to take a week or two to get the Segate in because it was out of
stock.  So I sat and looked at my nice new SCSI card for a while, and decided
that if I was going to have this brand new, wicked fast hard drive, and a
nice new DMA SCSI card to go along with it, I'd sure as hell better have DMA
RAM, or I might was well have bought some piece of junk drive with 50ms
access time.  So one paycheck later, I had a HarrisLabs GSSauce card, and two
1 meg x 8 bit SIMMs in the mail.

  I now have everything hooked up and running.	I had a few problems, though.
I got the cable I needed from A2Central.  They charged me $30 for the damn
thing.  True, it does do exactly what I need it to do, but $30?  I highly
suggest you look around elsewhere before getting one from them.  The cable
you need is a DB-25M to "50-Socket".  In fact, A2Central just buys their
cables from Redmond Cable.  You might want to try getting it directly
from them, or someone else that has lots of cables.

  I had no problems at all with the GSSauce card.  If anyone out there is
thinking of upgrading to one, go for it.  The card was $85 from Programs
Plus, and the SIMMs were $42 per meg from Peripheral Outlet.  You can get 'em
for $39 from Chip Merchant, but they only take C.O.D.  No credit cards...

  The Segate itself is a beaut.  I tell ya.  It's access time is 28ms.  Not
bad at all, considering that my old drive was a 52 ms, and my 3.5" drive is
151 ms.  Those are all random read times.  For linear reads, the drive clocks
in at about (hold on to your seat) 1.24ms.  Yeah, you read that right.
Amazing, eh?  My old drive hit about 22.5ms on a good day, and my 3.5" drive
does about 21ms.

  Segate did not include any documentation at all with the drive, so setting
the SCSI priority was kinda fun.  There were 5 sets of jumper pins on the
drive, and they're all open when you get the drive (ie: no jumpers).  And
of course, there were no jumpers supplied with the drive.  I've never seen
jumpers sold in packs of less than 50 or 100, so if you get a Segate, you'll
need to supply your own jumpers.  After waiting on the phone for over an
hour (no joke.  They've got a killer phone maze) I finally talked to a
technician, and he happily gave me the info I needed to set the priority.
They ship 'em with a priority of zero.  The SCSI card manual suggests
that you make the drive six.  That corresponds to:
	open open closed closed open
  On the jumper pins, in other words (over a thouand. That's the going rate
for pictures these days, right?):

  50 pin SCSI connector    Jumper Pins
:::::::::::::::::::::::::   : : | | :

  Where : represents open and | represesnts closed.  I bet you already figured
that out, eh?

  The one major drawback is that the drive is terminated with non-socketed
resistors, so you've gotta clip 'em to remove 'em.  Bummer, eh?

  Well, to sum it all up, I think I made some pretty good purchases.  I
now have a really nice system.  The next thing I need is a Zip GSX, but that
one's really far off.  I'm kinda broke at the moment.  I wonder why :-)

  If anyone has any questions about anything I've mentioned, feel free to send
me mail.

                        -Greg T.
                         gt0t+@andrew.cmu.edu

cyliao@hardy.u.washington.edu (Chun-Yao Liao) (11/03/90)

uh... since people seem to upgrading or adding harddrive to there system,
and I have one lying around...

It's a 40 meg VERY FAST 15ms SCSI HD and VERY SILENT. (My Seagate is "noisy"
compared to this 40 meg drive, and is 1ms slower)

it's 99.99% new, used for nothing. It came with computer, but I added a "BIG"
drive so don't need this one.

I'll let it go for just $250, you pay shipping.
mmm... I can imagin how fast this will be when used with RamFast :-) guess
you will never need to wait :-)

cyliao@wam.umd.edu     		o NeXT :  I put main frame power on two chips.
      @epsl.umd.edu		o people: We put main flame power on two guys.
      @bagend.eng.umd.edu       o ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
 xxxxx@xxxxx.xxx.xxx (reserved)	o RC + Apple // + Classic Music + NeXT = cyliao

In article <1990Dec14.024315.29707@world.std.com> lucifer@world.std.com (Kevin S Green) writes:
>Correct. I currently use a MicroNet MP100 3.5" harddrive that was marketed
>for the Mac. It was on sale at MacWorld at $800 (down from $1100 I think).
>Since it uses the same SCSI interface, the //gs can use any Mac HD. All that

	I realize that this is really really picky of me.. I am just really
picky about certain things (such as people mixing up "their," "they're,"
and "there"... Jeez, it's their native language! They should know it fairly
well).

	Unless you are refering to drives that are advertized as being
"for the Mac," there's no such thing as a Mac hard drive! Even in that
case the advertizer is incorrect.  I JUST realized that you -are-
refering to the hard drive being marketed for the Mac and not in actuality a
"Mac" hard drive. I still think this might help other people though so I'm
still posting it.

	A hard drive is SCSI or ESDI or one of a few other formats.
You CAN correctly say that a drive is an "Apple // drive" if it is
an internal drive for the Apple //, since it has its own special controller
card. (Note that I'm including the drive and the card in the term "hard drive"
in this case).
--
/Apple II(GS) Forever! unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu MAIL ME FOR INFO ABOUT CHEAP CDs\
|WRITE TO ORIGIN ABOUT ULTIMA VI //e and IIGS! Mail me for addresses, & info. |

lucifer@world.std.com (Kevin S Green) (12/16/90)

In article <10119@darkstar.ucsc.edu> unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:

>	Unless you are refering to drives that are advertized as being
>"for the Mac," there's no such thing as a Mac hard drive! Even in that
>case the advertizer is incorrect.  I JUST realized that you -are-
>refering to the hard drive being marketed for the Mac and not in actuality a
>"Mac" hard drive. I still think this might help other people though so I'm
>still posting it.

Correct Unknown, I was referring to the drive as one _marketed_ for the Mac.
If it was only usable on a Mac I would have known that and not bought it for
my //GS. (Of course, I pay more attention to things like this than the
average user. I really feel sorry for Joe Blow computer user out there. Most
of the information out there regarding computers is still too damn complicated
for the average layman to understand.)

To all those //gs owners out there: if you are considering adding a harddrive,
do yourselves a favor. Browse through some Mac magazines and look at the
prices in there. You'll find that they are lower than the same kind of drives
advertised in Incider A+ (bleck!!).
--
Kevin S. Green / lucifer@world.std.com / {xylogics;uunet}!world!lucifer
Party naked... /AOL: Gargoth / BIX: Keving / Pro-line: kgreen@pro-angmar

In article <1990Dec15.215548.5841@world.std.com> lucifer@world.std.com (Kevin S Green) writes:
>If it was only usable on a Mac I would have known that and not bought it for
>my //GS.

	But one of my points was: How can you have a hard drive that's
only usable on a Mac? I gave a description of an internal hard drive that'd
only work on an Apple II (without major major hacking and a different
controller)...

	But since virtually all Macs (since what, the Plus or SE?!) use
SCSI, I -believe- there's no such thing as a Mac only hard drive. Since
even with an "internal" Mac drive you can easily scrounge up a case and
a power supply.. (Certainly nothing close to "major major hacking" I
say would be involved in making a Vulcan or a CirTech drive_on_a_card work
on another computer).

--

In article <10153@darkstar.ucsc.edu> unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:

>In article <1990Dec15.215548.5841@world.std.com> lucifer@world.std.com (Kevin S Green) writes:
>>If it was only usable on a Mac I would have known that and not bought it for
>>my //GS.
>
>	But one of my points was: How can you have a hard drive that's
>only usable on a Mac? I gave a description of an internal hard drive that'd
>only work on an Apple II (without major major hacking and a different
>controller)...

You can have one which connects to the serial ports (at 1Mbit/second)--
I don't think the GS can handle that!  You can have one which connects to
the floppy port-- the GS has the IWM, but good luck on finding a driver.
You can have one that clips to the CPU.

lucifer@world.std.com (Kevin S Green) (12/19/90)

In article <10153@darkstar.ucsc.edu> unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:

>	But one of my points was: How can you have a hard drive that's
>only usable on a Mac? I gave a description of an internal hard drive that'd
>only work on an Apple II (without major major hacking and a different
>controller)...

Sigh. Unknown, I KNOW THAT THERE ISN'T SUCH A THING AS A MAC-ONLY HARDDRIVE.
I KNOW THAT SCSI is SCSI is SCSI is SCSI.....

My point was that I have know this all along, which is why I bough a SCSI
drive _marketed_ to Mac users because it is cheaper.

Now please, enough discussions about semantics.

--

In article <60242@microsoft.UUCP> brianw@microsoft.UUCP (Brian WILLOUGHBY) writes:
>Actually this whole problem is the Mac's fault.  Apple skipped many
>of the command protocols in the Mac SCSI driver routines, because
>they made a lot of assumptions (such as only one bus master, even
>though SCSI supports arbitration).  The result is that there are
>drives which follow the generic SCSI protocol, and drives that rely
>upon the Mac's "SCSI" behavior, particularly the boot phase of the
>Macintosh operation.

	This is going to probably sound bogus because I am telling
stuff I heard from someone I know and know few details, but I could
probably get them if absolutely necessary..

	The Mac, and the Apple II SCSI card, -do- support arbitration.
You can hook a hard drive up to both a Mac and a II at the same time..

	However, the details are what I heard from someone I know. He
worked at Apple for a while, and worked on the Apple // in some way
or another.

	I believe he said Apple had special software or special
instructions or something like that (that weren't very complicated), but
never released the info to the public..

	From what I remember, he said it was pretty easy to do...(make
arbitration possible).

	Take this FOAF ("friend of a friend," a term used a lot on alt.folk-
lore.urban) info how you will, but it's true.
--
/Apple II(GS) Forever! unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu MAIL ME FOR INFO ABOUT CHEAP CDs\
\WRITE TO ORIGIN ABOUT ULTIMA VI //e and IIGS! Mail me for addresses, & info. /

grochoci@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Paul Grochocinski) (04/27/91)

	I was reading my free issue of A+ magazine(it was free so I took it and
	cancelled the rest).  In their article about dhard drives I got the
	impression that as long as it was an SCSI drive that I could use it on
	my GS and initialize it myself.  Is this really true?

	Are there any limitations as to what I can use it for.  Because I've
	seen some pretty cheap drives advertised on other nets and knowing that
	they were probably used for IBM's, can I still use it on my GS.

						Thanks,

							Paul

kenfair@flammulated.rice.edu (Kenneth Jason Fair) (04/27/91)

In article <11359@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> grochoci@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Paul Grochocinski) writes:

>	I was reading my free issue of A+ magazine(it was free so I took it and
>	cancelled the rest).  In their article about dhard drives I got the
>	impression that as long as it was an SCSI drive that I could use it on
>	my GS and initialize it myself.  Is this really true?

This is true to a certain degree.  You will of course need a SCSI card
(I recommend either Apple High Speed SCSI or RAMFast SCSI), and you
will have to do your own formatting.  You might check out hard drives
from mail-order Macintosh companies; some of their prices are really
low and it's fairly easy (so I understand) to reconfigure for the GS.

As for myself, I have a 40 MB Vulcan (internal) that I bought used for
$400.  I've had no complaints with it.

Talk to some people who know what they're doing before you buy - I
certainly don't.   :-I

Ken

--
+-----------------------------------------------------+-----------------------+
"God does not play dice with the universe."- Einstein | kenfair@owlnet.rice.edu

In article <11359@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> grochoci@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Paul Grochocinski) writes:
>	In their article about dhard drives I got the
>	impression that as long as it was an SCSI drive that I could use it on
>	my GS and initialize it myself.  Is this really true?

	Yes this is really true. It's true because there have been many
standards accepted and widely used in the computer industry. Among them are
ASCII (IBM developed their own EBCDIC) and SCSI.

	So that means you can just go out and get a SCSI drive and a case/
power supply and just plug it in and go.

	I now have a hard drive, and it's simply a SCSI hard drive in a case
(case & power supply only cost $45 vs. the about $100-$150 places like Tulin
rip you off for).

>	Are there any limitations as to what I can use it for.  Because I've
>	seen some pretty cheap drives advertised on other nets and knowing that
>	they were probably used for IBM's, can I still use it on my GS.

	Nope, no limitations. It's just a hard drive. Usable for whatever
hard drives are usable for.
	They probably WEREN'T used for IBMs.. IBMs don't normally use
SCSI drives.. Seems they're being used more and more, but I think it's still
valid to say that SCSI drives are far from the "standard drive used" in the
IBM world.
--
/unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu Apple IIGS Forever! WANT ULTIMA VI //e or GS?-mail me.\
\CHEAP CDs info-mail me. McIntosh Junior:  The Power to Crush the Other Kids. /

mkheintz@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Michael Heintz) (04/28/91)

In article <15111@darkstar.ucsc.edu> unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:
>	Nope, no limitations. It's just a hard drive. Usable for whatever
>hard drives are usable for.
>	They probably WEREN'T used for IBMs.. IBMs don't normally use
>SCSI drives.. Seems they're being used more and more, but I think it's still
>valid to say that SCSI drives are far from the "standard drive used" in the
>IBM world.

SCSI is starting to catch on in the IBM world, simply because the
interface is so simple for the computer to deal with.  I read an
article on IBM SCSI drives and they made SCSI sound like some
magic system or something.  I will look it up if anyone wants
to find the article.

BTW: The SCSI that apple uses (including Apple II and Macintosh)
is, as I understand it, not quite standard.  SCSI devices that
work on the  Mac will work on the II, but IBM SCSI and Apple SCSI
are not interchangeable (again, that is what I have heard.. I
have never tried it).

You are safe buying any SCSI hard drive for the Apple II that
works on the Macintosh!

Mike
mkheintz@vela.acs.oakland.edu

daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Dave Huang) (04/29/91)

In article <6169@vela.acs.oakland.edu> mkheintz@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Michael Heintz) writes:
>BTW: The SCSI that apple uses (including Apple II and Macintosh)
>is, as I understand it, not quite standard.  SCSI devices that
>work on the  Mac will work on the II, but IBM SCSI and Apple SCSI
>are not interchangeable (again, that is what I have heard.. I
>have never tried it).

I believe the drives themselves are the same (since I've seen Seagate
SCSI drives advertized in both IBM and Mac mags). However, the Mac's
SCSI port is slightly nonstandard. It doesn't support bus arbitration
correctly or something, so you can't hook two Macs to one HD. The
Apple II SCSI cards don't have this problem though.

>You are safe buying any SCSI hard drive for the Apple II that
>works on the Macintosh!

Yup, prices are getting pretty good these days! Check out the Mac
magazines for HD prices. I've seen external Quantum 105 drives for
around $399 with a 2 year warranty.

>Mike
>mkheintz@vela.acs.oakland.edu
--
David Huang                              |
Internet: daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu       |    "How much is that hamster

In article <48066@ut-emx.uucp> daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Dave Huang) writes:
>I believe the drives themselves are the same (since I've seen Seagate
>SCSI drives advertized in both IBM and Mac mags). However, the Mac's
>SCSI port is slightly nonstandard. It doesn't support bus arbitration
>correctly or something, so you can't hook two Macs to one HD. The
>Apple II SCSI cards don't have this problem though.

	Another difference is that 25 of the 50 pins are ground on
"standard" SCSI connectors, yet Apple uses a 25 pin connector, so most of the
grounds are gone.

	If someone, in e-mail if they wish, would like to explain to me why
multiple grounds are useful/wanted, I'd greatly appreciate it. (Also, why
car manuals say to connect the negative jumper cable to the body of the
car and not the negative battery terminal when they are CONNECTED already)

	I was told by a former Apple employee that arbitration is possible
on the Mac and Apple //.. That is, you could connect a drive to both at the
same time.  There's some more work involved and I don't know the
details, but it's apparently POSSIBLE while maybe a pain to do...

>Yup, prices are getting pretty good these days! Check out the Mac
>magazines for HD prices. I've seen external Quantum 105 drives for
>around $399 with a 2 year warranty.

	Yeah, Syquest drives are plummeting in price too.. Like $500 is
a price you can easily get. GREAT! (I already have a hard drive now but
might get a Syquest for a 2nd drive and backup mechanism).
--

ehsu@husc9.harvard.edu (Eric Hsu) (04/29/91)

In article <6169@vela.acs.oakland.edu> mkheintz@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Michael Heintz) writes:
>BTW: The SCSI that apple uses (including Apple II and Macintosh)
>is, as I understand it, not quite standard.  SCSI devices that
>work on the  Mac will work on the II, but IBM SCSI and Apple SCSI
>are not interchangeable (again, that is what I have heard.. I
>have never tried it).

I understand the Mac Plus uses nonstandard SCSI, but other Macs work fine
with ordinary SCSI.

>You are safe buying any SCSI hard drive for the Apple II that
>works on the Macintosh!

Actually, I hear this is not a safe thing to do since some manufacturers
supposedly twiddle with the SCSI enough so that their software works only
on their drives, leading to lots of "Mac-SCSI" drives which are not really
SCSI. I'm told it's a safe bet to buy real SCSI drives for the Apple SCSI card.

Also... I am personally having a nightmare of a time getting this Ohio Kache
Card SCSI connector to recognize this CDC SCSI drive long enough to format it.
It takes about three minutes for card to send the drive some magic signal to
wake up and come up to speed. After that it doesn't recognize the drive at all.
An engineer suggested that I format the drive for an Apple // first of all.

If anyone in the Boston area has an Apple Hi-Speed SCSI card they'd like to
lend or sell, send me e-mail.

Eric Hsu                           ehsu@husc4.Bitnet, ehsu@husc9.harvard.edu

stuckey@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Anthony J. Stuckey) (04/29/91)

ehsu@husc9.harvard.edu (Eric Hsu) writes:

>In article <6169@vela.acs.oakland.edu> mkheintz@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Michael Heintz) writes:
>>BTW: The SCSI that apple uses (including Apple II and Macintosh)
>>is, as I understand it, not quite standard.  SCSI devices that
>>work on the  Mac will work on the II, but IBM SCSI and Apple SCSI
>>are not interchangeable (again, that is what I have heard.. I
>>have never tried it).
>I understand the Mac Plus uses nonstandard SCSI, but other Macs work fine
>with ordinary SCSI.

THere are two types of SCSI connections.  Syncrhonous and Async.  Both of them
are standard, but hte mac Plus uses one and all other macs use the other.
(sorry, it's been too long since i heard which)

--
Anthony J. Stuckey
stuckey@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu

alfter@nevada.edu (SCOTT ALFTER) (04/29/91)

In article <6169@vela.acs.oakland.edu> mkheintz@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Michael Heintz) writes:
>BTW: The SCSI that apple uses (including Apple II and Macintosh)
>is, as I understand it, not quite standard.  SCSI devices that

Mac SCSI is non-standard.  The Apple II rev. C SCSI card is
non-standard.  The DMA SCSI card, however, is supposed to follow the
full SCSI standard; you should be able to plug in anything to a DMA
SCSI card.  I don't know about the RAMFast or other 3rd-party cards.

Scott Alfter-----------------------------_/_----------------------------
Call the Skunk Works BBS (702) 896-2676 / v \ 6 PM-6 AM 300/1200/2400
Internet: alfter@uns-helios.nevada.edu (    ( Apple II:
   GEnie: S.ALFTER                      \_^_/ the power to be your best!

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (04/30/91)

In article <15111@darkstar.ucsc.edu> unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:
>	Yes this is really true. It's true because there have been many
>standards accepted and widely used in the computer industry. Among them are
>ASCII (IBM developed their own EBCDIC) and SCSI.
>	So that means you can just go out and get a SCSI drive and a case/
>power supply and just plug it in and go.

While this OUGHT to be true, in reality not all "SCSI" devices fully
support the SCSI standard.  Indeed, there are now TWO different SCSI
standards.

Both Seagate and Syquest embedded SCSI controller disk drives worked
fine with Apple's High-Speed SCSI Card with the addition of case, power
supply, and cabling; however, I wouldn't guarantee that ALL brands will
work as well.

Speaking of SCSI device (in)compatibility, what are alternative CD-ROM
drives that I can use on my IIGS with Apple's High-Speed SCSI Card?
Apple's CD-ROM drive seems awfully expensive.  I've heard that some
Hitachi model works at least as well; what model and what others also
work?  (Assume that I have Apple's CD-ROM support tools etc.)

In article <15136@darkstar.ucsc.edu> unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:
>	If someone, in e-mail if they wish, would like to explain to me why
>multiple grounds are useful/wanted, I'd greatly appreciate it. (Also, why
>car manuals say to connect the negative jumper cable to the body of the
>car and not the negative battery terminal when they are CONNECTED already)

The manuals tell you to do things right because they assume, obviously
correctly in this case, that you're too ignorant to figure out the right
method on your own.  The point of the battery connection procedure is to
keep sparks away from the battery where they might ignite hydrogen gas.

The SCSI cabling procedure intended that people would use proper,
individually-shielded signal lines rather then the totally unshielded
ribbon cable that one often encounters in SCSI hookups.

>	Yeah, Syquest drives are plummeting in price too.. Like $500 is
>a price you can easily get. GREAT! (I already have a hard drive now but
>might get a Syquest for a 2nd drive and backup mechanism).

I find that Syquest disks are great for backup, IF you create a partition
that is exactly the same size as on the working disk you're backing up.
(Then the Finder will do a device-to-device copy.)  The nice thing is
that the backup is directly "mountable" as a structured file system in
case you need to examine it or retrieve stuff from it.

gtolar@xcluud.sccsi.com (Glynne Tolar) (05/02/91)

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) writes:

> Speaking of SCSI device (in)compatibility, what are alternative CD-ROM
> drives that I can use on my IIGS with Apple's High-Speed SCSI Card?
> Apple's CD-ROM drive seems awfully expensive.  I've heard that some
> Hitachi model works at least as well; what model and what others also
> work?  (Assume that I have Apple's CD-ROM support tools etc.)

May understand is that the NEC CD-ROM drive is now available and in a decent
price range.  And their is a driver out for it too.  I can't remember who
from.  A lot of help I am.  Well, now you do know their is an alternative to
the $Apple$ drive.

We don't care, we don't have to.  We're Apple computer.
Apple II forever.  I just love hearing the company LInE.
   Pick your favorite.             gtolar@xcluud.sccsi.com
I didn't write the organization or path.  I just use it.