[net.space] Does space relieve crowding?

keithl@tekcad.UUCP (09/18/83)

"Overpopulation"; an interesting word.
   Per inhabitant (assumed pop. 5E9), the Earth has
	30,000 square meters of land
	72,000 square meters of ocean
	25,000,000 watts solar irradiance
	70 tons of "alive" matter  (including almost 1 billion insects!)
	2,000 tons of biosphere
        1,000,000 tons of atmosphere
	300,000,000 tons of ocean
   I figure the planet COULD support about 5 TRILLION people with the
"right" technology, covering the land to Manhattan density.  Some people
appear to ENJOY living that densely!  I suspect overpopulation is more a
psychological problem than a technical one.

   What is it that makes people feel crowded?  Competition for scarce
resources, perhaps, or pollution.  Personally, I don't like the social
pollution (crime, intolerance, laws, taxes, war) that "crowded" people
generate.

   I find the idea of space colonization very appealing.  Freedom!
Elbowroom! Virtually unlimited growth! Sure, there will be problems,
but I've gotten bored trying to solve the present set, which are mostly
between the ears of others.  I would rather cope with a meteor shower than
a politician with "good intentions".

   The planet might be a better place with irritants like me off it, as
well.  You wouldn't have to move a very large percentage off planet to
eliminate a lot of the perceived crowding.  The people remaining wouldn't
have to accommodate as much "difference".

   To those who wish to stay, go ahead!  When the crazies leave, you may
find the people left behind more to your liking.  People who want to solve
their problems by political means, for example, I'd rather have stay on
Earth anyway.  Governments are for gravity wells!

   Enough spouting.  Flames can be addressed to:
--
Keith Lofstrom
uucp:	{ucbvax,decvax,chico,pur-ee,cbosg,ihnss}!teklabs!tekcad!keithl

CSvax:Pucc-H:ab3@pur-ee.UUCP (09/20/83)

Quoting here:

	From: keithl@tekcad
	Subject: Does space relieve crowding?

	"Overpopulation"; an interesting word.
	   Per inhabitant (assumed pop. 5E9), the Earth has
		30,000 square meters of land
		72,000 square meters of ocean
		25,000,000 watts solar irradiance
		70 tons of "alive" matter  (including almost 1 billion insects!)
		2,000 tons of biosphere
	        1,000,000 tons of atmosphere
		300,000,000 tons of ocean

I wonder about these statistics; not that I disupte their validity; but
I think the interpretation needs to be qualified. If I enjoy 3e4 square meters
of land which happends to be on top Mount Kilamanjaro, I probably won't enjoy
it very much... I see your basic point, but I think that w/o assuming great
strides in terraforming and energy technology we are going to be running
out of land, energy, water, etc... by and by.

				Darth Wombat

			Doing my part to combat those 1 billion insects!

condict@csd1.UUCP (Michael Condict) (09/21/83)

Anyone who thinks that 30,000 square meters of land is a lot (or even
sufficient) per person should consider the following facts:

1) That is a plot of land only 180 meters on a side -- barely enough for
a house and a little bit of privacy (you city slickers probably think it's
big enough to have a farm).  Would you want to live in a world where all the
houses are 180 yards apart?  Of course, you say that the density will not be
uniform, being concentrated in cities, but it is sobering to think that this is
all the space available to satisfy the standard American dream of a house and
a little elbow room.

2) Considering that maybe half of the land surface is desert, artic or swamp,
we're really talking about, say, 15000 square meters per person -- roughly
120 meters square.  Anyone who disputes the unsuitability of the other half
for supporting a reasonable quality of life should go live there (a fitting
punishment).  Notice that I'm willing to allow that jungles are livable; at
least they are teeming with life forms, if not humans.  But I balk at the
notion of sending people to the middle of the Sahara or Gobi deserts or to
the Antartic without very sophisticated and expensive technology.

3) The figure must again be reduced, if these people are to live as Americans
do, because we need at least half (and probably all) of the remaining space
to mine, farm, graze, manufacture and waste dispose (including auto junkyards
and garbage dumps).  In fact it is widely agreed that it would be impossible,
even in the short run, to support the entire world population at the level
of consumption that takes place in the U.S.  There is simply not enough energy,
grazing land (for beef cattle), farm land, and residential living space.
Thus anyone who thinks that there are not too many people in the world either
believes that it is okay for the major cause of death in underdeveloped
countries to be malnutrition, or they have a very naive view of the limits of
current life support technology.  It is extremely unfeeling, if not arrogant,
to sit down in front of your electronic wonder in your energy-intensive
office building with an automobile parked outside that cost more in dollars
and in consumption of resources than a worker in some countries can hope to
earn in a lifetime, and claim that everything is hunk-dory, let's have billions
of more people (as long as they don't move in to share my apartment).

In my opinion, the only reason this tired planet has a chance of survival is
because one of the two impending causes of its demise -- nuclear holocaust --
is likely to provide a horrible cure for the other -- overpopulation (assuming
it doesn't terminate all life).

Michael Condict

wls@astrovax.UUCP (09/21/83)

I, for one don't believe that 70 tons of alive matter figure.  A simple
astronomer's kind of order-of-magnitude calculation:
	4 billion people (roughly)
	1/20 th of a ton (100 lbs a bit small but right order of magnitude)
yields  200 million tons for the human "alive matter" alone.
 William L. Sebok {allegra,cbosgd,decvax,ihnp4,kpno}!astrovax!wls

okie@ihuxs.UUCP (09/23/83)

Anybody partaking in this discussion read Ben Bova's novel "Colony?"
Might make a good counterpoint to all of this speculation.

B.K. Cobb

davies@uiuccsb.UUCP (09/24/83)

#R:tekcad:-4400:uiuccsb:15700003:000:72
uiuccsb!davies    Sep 23 14:36:00 1983

That was 70 tons of "alive matter" PER PERSON, not total for the Earth.

mark@umcp-cs.UUCP (09/26/83)

	Anybody partaking in this discussion read Ben Bova's novel "Colony?"
	Might make a good counterpoint to all of this speculation.

Right.  Bova isn't just speculating, of course.
--
spoken:	mark weiser
UUCP:	{seismo,allegra,brl-bmd}!umcp-cs!mark