[comp.sys.apple2] So? Did the announcement happen?

tony@nro.cs.athabascau.ca (Tony Turner) (04/16/91)

--> It's the 15th - and as the various rumours have said: this is when
Apple is supposedly going to announce the End Of The Apple II Line...
Along with the release of the Apple IIe card for the Mac LC. Along with
the (dream on) rumour of the Apple II being flogged through SEARS. No
gnus up here - any gnus anywhere else? The only gnus up here is the
hockey finals. And that's boring.  =B=Y=E= (Tony Turner) -Bootstrap.

Tony Turner             ersys!tony@nro.cs.athabascau.ca
Edmonton Remote Systems:  Serving Northern Alberta since 1982

shrinkit@Apple.COM (Andrew Nicholas) (04/16/91)

In article <g29g11w164w@ersys.uucp> ersys!tony@nro.cs.athabascau.ca (Tony Turner) writes:

>--> It's the 15th - and as the various rumours have said: this is when
>Apple is supposedly going to announce the End Of The Apple II Line...
>Along with the release of the Apple IIe card for the Mac LC. Along with
>the (dream on) rumour of the Apple II being flogged through SEARS. No
>gnus up here - any gnus anywhere else? The only gnus up here is the
>hockey finals. And that's boring.  =B=Y=E= (Tony Turner) -Bootstrap.

What is even more boring is watching people on the network speculate about
the Apple II and BE ABSOLUTELY WRONG TIME AFTER TIME.

Well folks, its now April 16th, and we (Apple) aren't selling the Apple II line
through Sears, and we haven't (and aren't going to) discontinued it.

See how much listening to rumors like that gets you?  Absolutely nothing.

andy

--
Andy Nicholas			GEnie & America-Online: shrinkit
Apple IIGS System Software		    CompuServe: 70771,2615

knauer@cs.uiuc.edu (Rob Knauerhase) (04/17/91)

In <51564@apple.Apple.COM> shrinkit@Apple.COM (Andrew Nicholas) writes:

>In article <g29g11w164w@ersys.uucp> ersys!tony@nro.cs.athabascau.ca (Tony Turner) writes:
>>--> It's the 15th - and as the various rumours have said: this is when
>>Apple is supposedly going to announce the End Of The Apple II Line...
>>Along with the release of the Apple IIe card for the Mac LC. Along with
>>the (dream on) rumour of the Apple II being flogged through SEARS. No

>What is even more boring is watching people on the network speculate about
>the Apple II and BE ABSOLUTELY WRONG TIME AFTER TIME.
>Well folks, its now April 16th,and we (Apple) aren't selling the Apple II line
>through Sears, and we haven't (and aren't going to) discontinued it.
>See how much listening to rumors like that gets you?  Absolutely nothing.

Well, I was in Sears just yesterday afternoon, and they said... :-)

Seriously, though, perhaps it's time for a repeat of one of my favorite
quotes (formerly in my .signature):

"Since the day the Apple III (RIP) was introduced in 1980, the 'experts' have
 been saying the Apple II is a dead machine.  If the Apple III couldn't kill
 it, the Lisa (RIP) or the PC Jr. (RIP) or the 128K Mac (RIP) would.  Some
 people never learn."
                                            -- Tom Weishaar

Is anyone in favor of making an official comp.sys.apple2 bumper sticker with
that quote on it and selling them mail-order? :)

Rob
--
Robert C. Knauerhase            University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
"I get my exercise acting as    Dept. of Computer Science, Gigabit Study Group

bazyar@ernie (Jawaid Bazyar) (04/17/91)

In article <1991Apr16.210501.8227@m.cs.uiuc.edu> knauer@cs.uiuc.edu (Rob Knauerhase) writes:

>Well, I was in Sears just yesterday afternoon, and they said... :-)

   So was I. They asked me if I wanted to buy a PS/1.  I laughed until
I was blue in the face and rolling around the floor.

>Seriously, though, perhaps it's time for a repeat of one of my favorite
>quotes (formerly in my .signature):
>
>"Since the day the Apple III (RIP) was introduced in 1980, the 'experts' have
> been saying the Apple II is a dead machine.  If the Apple III couldn't kill
> it, the Lisa (RIP) or the PC Jr. (RIP) or the 128K Mac (RIP) would.  Some
> people never learn."
>                                            -- Tom Weishaar

   Indeed.  Many years have passed since an AppleFest predicted "Apple II
Forever".  Perhaps they weren't kidding.
   The Apple IIe was introduced the same year as the original IBM PC.  The
original PC is no longer manufactured, and in fact no one admits it was ever
made.
   Ahh, if only Woz hadn't been in that plane crash- perhaps he wouldn't have
felt the need to teach- perhaps Apple would be a better company for it.
For sure, Apple needs some bona-fide engineers and dreamers in management.

>Is anyone in favor of making an official comp.sys.apple2 bumper sticker with
>that quote on it and selling them mail-order? :)

  Hmm. Why don't you?

--
Jawaid Bazyar               |  "Twenty seven faces- with their eyes turned to
Senior/Computer Engineering |    the sky. I have got a camera, and an airtight

mvk@aix01.aix.rpi.edu (Michael V. Kent) (04/17/91)

In article <1991Apr16.221118.10062@m.cs.uiuc.edu> bazyar@cs.uiuc.edu (Jawaid Bazyar) writes:
>   The Apple IIe was introduced the same year as the original IBM PC.  The
>original PC is no longer manufactured, and in fact no one admits it was ever
>made.

Time sure flies when you're having fun.  The IBM PC was released in 1981, with
the Apple IIe following on 23 January 1983.  (I know, my II+ was purchased on
23 December 1982.  :) )

--
Michael Kent                                  mvk@itsgw.rpi.edu
McDonnell Douglas                             Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

a.guillaume@trl.oz.au (andrew guillaume) (04/17/91)

In article <51564@apple.Apple.COM>, shrinkit@Apple.COM (Andrew Nicholas)
writes:
> What is even more boring is watching people on the network speculate about
> the Apple II and BE ABSOLUTELY WRONG TIME AFTER TIME.
>
> Well folks, its now April 16th, and we (Apple) aren't selling the
Apple II line
> through Sears, and we haven't (and aren't going to) discontinued it.
>
> See how much listening to rumors like that gets you?  Absolutely nothing.

Hear, hear ! Let's get rid of this doom and gloom atmosphere and get some
real support for the Apple II. I own a //c ("boat-anchor", I sure liked
that nick-name :-) which I had upgraded recently, and I certainly am
adhering to the "Apple II forever" motto. It's a great computer for what
I use it (education), and it is a member of the family :-)

And as I'm not a programmer (I'm on of these h/w turkeys :-), I'd appreciate
if you gurus out there would spend more time on creativity and imagination
for the Apple II than on rumours. Keep the good work up ! I'm always on the
lookout for good educational software !

Andrew Guillaume

Internet : a.guillaume@trl.oz.au

sb@pnet91.cts.com (Stephen Brown) (04/18/91)

shrinkit@Apple.COM (Andrew Nicholas) writes:
>In article <g29g11w164w@ersys.uucp> ersys!tony@nro.cs.athabascau.ca (Tony Turner) writes:
[cut on the dotted line..............................]

>What is even more boring is watching people on the network speculate about
>the Apple II and BE ABSOLUTELY WRONG TIME AFTER TIME.
>
>Well folks, its now April 16th, and we (Apple) aren't selling the Apple II line
>through Sears, and we haven't (and aren't going to) discontinued it.
>
>See how much listening to rumors like that gets you?  Absolutely nothing.
>
>andy
>

>--
>Andy Nicholas			GEnie & America-Online: shrinkit
>Apple IIGS System Software		    CompuServe: 70771,2615
>Apple Computer, Inc.			      InterNET: shrinkit@apple.com

Then perhaps you could suggest better rumours to listen to?   :)

| Stephen Brown                           Toronto, Canada |
| Internet: sb@pnet91.cts.com      UUCP: utzoo!pnet91!sb  |
| Apple II Forever !!!                                    |
|  (however, as far as the Apple Computer Company is con- |
|  cerned: "Who really cares anymore?)                    |
| Like my new .signature. ?    Too bad.                   |

greg@hoss.unl.edu (Lig Lury Jr.) (04/20/91)

bazyar@ernie (Jawaid Bazyar) writes:
>knauer@cs.uiuc.edu (Rob Knauerhase) writes:

>>"Since the day the Apple III (RIP) was introduced in 1980, the 'experts' have
>> been saying the Apple II is a dead machine.  If the Apple III couldn't kill
>> it, the Lisa (RIP) or the PC Jr. (RIP) or the 128K Mac (RIP) would.  Some
>> people never learn."
>>                                            -- Tom Weishaar

>>Is anyone in favor of making an official comp.sys.apple2 bumper sticker with
>>that quote on it and selling them mail-order? :)

>  Hmm. Why don't you?

Bit long, isn't it?  That sticker would cover the bumper end-to-end...

>--
>Jawaid Bazyar               |  "Twenty seven faces- with their eyes turned to
>Senior/Computer Engineering |    the sky. I have got a camera, and an airtight
>bazyar@cs.uiuc.edu          |     alibi.."
>   Apple II Forever!        |  I need a job... Be priviliged to pay me! :-)

...not that that would be bad... :-)

--
///   ____   \\\ "It says, `Golgafrincham Ark Fleet, Ship B, Hold 7, Telephone
| |/ /    \ \| |  Sanitizer, Second Class,' and a serial number." "A telephone
 \\_(\____/)_//                sanitizer?  A dead telephone sanitizer?"  "Best
greg \_\\\/ hoss.unl.edu       kind." "But what's he doing here?" "Not a lot."

kreme@isis.cs.du.edu (Harvey Leech) (04/20/91)

In article <616@generic.UUCP> sb@pnet91.cts.com (Stephen Brown) writes:
>shrinkit@Apple.COM (Andrew Nicholas) writes:
>>See how much listening to rumors like that gets you?  Absolutely nothing.
>>
>>andy
>
>Then perhaps you could suggest better rumours to listen to?   :)

Sure... here is the latest unsubstantiated scoop of some BBS's I've
been on around the country.

	1) System software 6.0 is two-three months from final beta.
	[How that translates into release, I don't know, 4-5?]

	2) A New GS is deffinetly planned.  it will have an internal
	Hard drive (40 Meg) and a Smart Drive (1.44).

	3) System 6.0 will include Mac and IBM FSTs.

	4) The new GS will be faster (8Mhz)
	[ If the machine is designed for 8mhz it will probably end
	  up running faster than a ROM 01 with a 10Mhz Zip in it ]

	5) There will be an upgrade option for current ROM 03 owners.
	[ No mention of ROM 01 owners :-( ]

>| Apple II Forever !!!                                    |
>|  (however, as far as the Apple Computer Company is con- |
>|  cerned: "Who really cares anymore?)                    |

Well, call me "fool" but I'm optomistic about the Apple // in '91-92.

Note:  THESE ARE RUMORS!  I HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO PROOF ON ANY OF THESE, AND
I MAKE NO WARRANTY, EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, AS TO THE ACCURACY OF ANY OF THE
ABOVE STAMEMENTS.  MANY COME FROM UNRELIABLE SOURCES.  TAKE THEM WITH A
GRAIN A SALT.  NAY, TAKE THEM WITH A pound OF SALT!

--
| kreme@nyx.cs.du.edu |The Coven BBS (303) 777 2911 PCP via CODEN Stalr*nk too|
|---------------------|100 Megs of storage.  Areas for IBM/MAC/Apple. Games.  |

SHBOUM@MACALSTR.EDU (04/21/91)

In <51564@apple.Apple.COM> shrinkit@Apple.COM (Andrew Nicholas) writes:

>>--> It's the 15th - and as the various rumours have said: this is when
>>Apple is supposedly going to announce the End Of The Apple II Line...
>>Along with the release of the Apple IIe card for the Mac LC. Along with
>>the (dream on) rumour of the Apple II being flogged through SEARS. No

>What is even more boring is watching people on the network speculate about
>the Apple II and BE ABSOLUTELY WRONG TIME AFTER TIME.
>Well folks, its now April 16th,and we (Apple) aren't selling the Apple II line
>through Sears, and we haven't (and aren't going to) discontinued it.
>See how much listening to rumors like that gets you?  Absolutely nothing.

        Well the only reason why these rumors are running about is because
Apple continues to make its position on the future of the II very indecisive.
On the one hand we have all the great guys working down at Apple II DTS doing
great advances in our OS, while Apple turns around and publishes a 40 page
advertisement in Incider that is completly pro-mac and puts down the II line as
an inferior computer. While we have heard that Apple plans to continue to
develop the II line, we don't see any sign of any major hardware development.
Meanwhile, everything upper management does has the word Macintosh in its
plans. As soon as Apple sends out a strong signal about the future of the II,
then people will stop speculating "the death of the Apple II"

                                                - Hal

hzink@alchemy.UUCP (Harry K. Zink) (04/22/91)

>In <51564@apple.Apple.COM> shrinkit@Apple.COM (Andrew Nicholas) writes:

>>>--> It's the 15th - and as the various rumours have said: this is when
>>>Apple is supposedly going to announce the End Of The Apple II Line...
>>>Along with the release of the Apple IIe card for the Mac LC. Along with
>>>the (dream on) rumour of the Apple II being flogged through SEARS. No

>>What is even more boring is watching people on the network speculate about
>>the Apple II and BE ABSOLUTELY WRONG TIME AFTER TIME.
>>Well folks, its now April 16th,and we (Apple) aren't selling the Apple II line
>>through Sears, and we haven't (and aren't going to) discontinued it.
>>See how much listening to rumors like that gets you?  Absolutely nothing.

On the other hand, see what listening to the holy words from Cupertino gets you
-- absolutely nothing as well.

I just find that these rumors only start *because* of the obvious lack of
support and/or confusion on how to market two product lines (yeah, right
Jane..!) on the part of apple.  I really do not see rumors and hopes flying
rampant in the Macintosh world - of course, they don't have to; System 7.0
was announced over two years ago.  New CPU platforms appaer regularly enough to
not necessitate rumors (So, how's the '040 tower coming along...).

The apple II world is another story - strict secrecy of all events and goings
ons.  I don't know why apple is so open about the Mac, yet secretive about the
Apple II - afraid Nintendo is going to clone the GS and sell it for cheap!  In
my opinion, such secretive attitude only reflect an attitude of confusion
and/or stealth - and that is why rumors keep abounding.

Maybe if apple were to develop a more honest approach to the apple II, we
wouldn't need any rumors.

Furthermore, it's really uplifting to see sarcastic remarks like those of Mr.
Nicholas (Hi Andy!), with no substance at all.  It might bne nice for them to
know that they are working on awesome stuff, thinking what stupid fools we are
for doubting all-mighty apple, yet does it really matter if any awesome things
surface after everybody has already moved on?  How many software companies
still develop actively for the Apple II gs?  How many have abandonned it?  If
the number of the latter is larger than the other, you know you are in trouble.

It seems to me that apple is employing a clever strategy of hiring top nothc
people like Andy, and thus effectively silencing them.  It is interesting that
time after time people that have contributed greatly to software and support
for the apple II have been hired by apple (seen as a sparc of hope), only to
see all creative endeavors of these people locked into apple's ivory towers.
Also, interesting to see that those same people are now critical of the same
people that they used to be part of.  I guess a big salary and living in Ivory
towers has that effect on some people (Hi Matt!).

 uucp : ucrmath!alchemy!hzink |     Financial Independence *CAN* be Yours!
 INET : hzink@alchemy.uucp    | 24hr Taped Information Hotline (714) 276-2020
 -----------------------------+------------------------------------------------
 Wesley: "Captain, this doesn't look like the holodeck to me."
   Worf: "Ready to cycle airlock, Captain." Picard: "Make it so."

shrinkit@Apple.COM (Andrew Nicholas) (04/22/91)

In article <414@alchemy.UUCP> hzink@alchemy.UUCP (Harry K. Zink) writes:

>It seems to me that apple is employing a clever strategy of hiring top nothc
>people like Andy, and thus effectively silencing them.

Apple didn't hire me to silence me.  I can tell you as much as I know now as
I used to know before i worked for Apple.  There's no net gain or loss of
collective cummunity information.  Apple's hiring me is a neutral thing as far
as how much information will be available coming from me.

>It is interesting that time after time people that have contributed greatly
>to software and support for the apple II have been hired by apple (seen as
>a sparc of hope), only to see all creative endeavors of these people locked
>into apple's ivory towers.

Assuming that you're talking about me, I kind of doubt that Apple is locking
me into an "Ivory Tower" -- I'm working harder towards contributing towards
the Apple II far more now than I was before just working on ShrinkIt.

I have no substantive way to prove this, except that I've been here for almost
6 months now and >I< feel that I've been more productive.  I've worked the
extra hours, learned the extra stuff, tried out the things I thought would
work, and experimented with stuff that didn't (on my Apple IIGS).  I've solved
problem after problem with the Finder and incorporated features that my bosses
didn't think possible in the time given.  I'm just one person, and I've
done the very best I could.

And, Harry, who are you to judge me?

andy

--
Andy Nicholas			GEnie & America-Online: shrinkit
Apple IIGS System Software		    CompuServe: 70771,2615
Apple Computer, Inc.			      InterNET: shrinkit@apple.com

dlyons@Apple.COM (David A. Lyons) (04/22/91)

In article <414@alchemy.UUCP> hzink@alchemy.UUCP (Harry K. Zink) writes:

is still alive, that people continue to predict its death and continue
to be wrong.)

I will regret getting involved in this, but there are a couple things you
imply about -me- and my coworkers that I feel strongly about.

>>[Andy:  See what listening to rumors gets you?  Nothing.]

>On the other hand, see what listening to the holy words from Cupertino gets
>you -- absolutely nothing as well.  [Points out there has been less
>secrecy around Macintosh system 7.0, and that CPU releases are frequent
>enough that nobody's worried about their line being discontinued.]

My words are not holy.  I don't think of them that way and never asked you
to.  I realize you meant "holy words from Cupertino" sarcastically, but you
are expecting too much from Andy and me.

We don't make decisions about when to announce things.  I don't even -want-
that responsibility.  What we *can* do is reassure you that, in general, we
are working on the toolbox, the Finder, etc.  You can conclude whatever you
want from that.

An exercise for the reader: dig up some information on 7.0 from two years
ago.  Compare it to what 7.0 is today and decide if you would have announced
it then.

>Maybe if apple were to develop a more honest approach to the apple II, we
>wouldn't need any rumors.

I object to the implication that we are doing something dishonest.  The
approach of late has been less "open" than it could be, or maybe even than
it should be, but it is not dishonest.

The degree of openness is not my decision, and it isn't yours either.

>Furthermore, it's really uplifting to see sarcastic remarks like those of Mr.
>Nicholas (Hi Andy!), with no substance at all.  It might bne nice for them to
>know that they are working on awesome stuff, thinking what stupid fools we are
>for doubting all-mighty apple [...]

I read Andy's message as "The Apple II consistently outlives predictions of
its death, so why doesn't everybody *quit worrying* about it and get on
with something (anything!) productive?"

You complained about total secrecy in Apple II plans above.  Now you *also*
complain when we tell you we are working on things?

Yeah, I'd rather give you details now, but I can't.  If you truly prefer
my silence, that could be arranged.

>It seems to me that apple is employing a clever strategy of hiring top nothc
>people like Andy, and thus effectively silencing them.  It is interesting that
>time after time people that have contributed greatly to software and support
>for the apple II have been hired by apple (seen as a sparc of hope), only to
>see all creative endeavors of these people locked into apple's ivory towers.
>
>Also, interesting to see that those same people are now critical of the same
>people that they used to be part of.  I guess a big salary and living in Ivory
>towers has that effect on some people (Hi Matt!).

This is unrealistic, unfair, and silly, and I will explain why.

Andy has been here since November.  He has continued to release versions
of ShrinkIt and work on other of his personal Apple II projects.  He has
*also* been working on the next version of the Finder.  Some day this will
ship.  For now, it is not "locked up," it is "NOT DONE."

You imply that I have loads of money.  (0) This is none of your business.
(1) I work 80+ hours a week with no overtime pay.  (Andy says I work more
like 100.  I don't keep track.)  I am -not- in this for the money.  (2) I
pay taxes and Cupertino rent.  (3) I do not own any yachts or ride a limo
to work, and my savings account would not get Donald Trump out of a
jam.

With the "ivory tower" reference you imply that I set myself apart from
"you guys" as some kind of higher-class citizen.  (By the way, I work
in the *top floor* of a one-story building.)

If this perception is because I can't give you details of the company's
future plans, I guess there's nothing I can do to make you think of me
as a real person.  (If my .signature said "I know a lot, but I can keep
a secret," I wouldn't blame you.  I have actually seen buttons that say
that, but *I* would never wear one.)

I dedicate almost all my time to my job, because I enjoy it a lot.  This
benefits you, the Apple IIgs user.  In return I ask only that you be
realistic in what you expect of me.  Ask technical questions about today's
products, and I'll try to answer.  Ask if the Apple II is dead and I
will say "No!"  But don't try to make me into a god and then complain that
I'm not one.

My advice to Apple II folks:  GET ON WITH IT!  Being paranoid won't help.

(BTW, I don't think Matt Deatherage has read this newsgroup in many
months, mostly because it was consistently filled with material like this,
rather than anything relating to using Apple IIs productively.)

> uucp : ucrmath!alchemy!hzink |     Financial Independence *CAN* be Yours!
> INET : hzink@alchemy.uucp    | 24hr Taped Information Hotline (714) 276-2020

--
David A. Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.      |   DAL Systems
Apple II System Software Engineer         |   P.O. Box 875

My opinions are my own, not Apple's.

-Rich-@cup.portal.com (Richard Sherman Payne) (04/24/91)

>Assuming that you're talking about me, I kind of doubt that Apple is locking
>me into an "Ivory Tower" -- I'm working harder towards contributing towards
>the Apple II far more now than I was before just working on ShrinkIt.
>
>I have no substantive way to prove this, except that I've been here for almost
>6 months now and >I< feel that I've been more productive.  I've worked the
>extra hours, learned the extra stuff, tried out the things I thought would
>work, and experimented with stuff that didn't (on my Apple IIGS).  I've solved
>problem after problem with the Finder and incorporated features that my bosses
>didn't think possible in the time given.  I'm just one person, and I've
>done the very best I could.
>
>Andy Nicholas                   GEnie & America-Online: shrinkit
>Apple IIGS System Software                  CompuServe: 70771,2615
>Apple Computer, Inc.                          InterNET: shrinkit@apple.com

Cmon Andy, are'nt you under some sort of a non-disclosure aggrement?
But in any case, I doubt that anyone could doubt the value of your
contributions to the APple // community. I can hardly wait to see the new
finder. Keep up the good work.

						Rich

					-Rich-@cup.portal.com

shrinkit@Apple.COM (Andrew Nicholas) (04/24/91)

In article <41602@cup.portal.com> -Rich-@cup.portal.com (Richard Sherman Payne) writes:

>>Assuming that you're talking about me, I kind of doubt that Apple is locking
>>me into an "Ivory Tower" -- I'm working harder towards contributing towards
>>the Apple II far more now than I was before just working on ShrinkIt.

>>I have no substantive way to prove this...

Reread that, it's important ^^^

>>didn't think possible in the time given.  I'm just one person, and I've
>>done the very best I could.

Perhaps I should rephrase that to read: I'm only human, and I've done the best
job that I could -- the point that I'm trying to make is that there are
limits to what I can do.  If that's not good enough for some people, I'm truly
sorry, but I can't do any better.

>Cmon Andy, are'nt you under some sort of a non-disclosure aggrement?

Yes I am.  Does signing a non-disclosure statement mean that I am automatically
condemned to "Ivory Tower" status because I can keep a secret?

The point I was trying to make was that just because you don't see me
contributing doesn't mean that I'm not contributing.  We can all contribute in
our own way -- I'm trying my own way by working at Apple, and trying my best.

andy

--

tribby@hpindwa.cup.hp.com (David Tribby) (04/25/91)

hzink@alchemy.UUCP (Harry K. Zink) writes...
>On the other hand, see what listening to the holy words from Cupertino gets you
>-- absolutely nothing as well.
  I've gotten a LOT out of their "holy words;" not only good technical
information but some hints as to future direction. Examples:
  - Last year Matt Deatherage described Apple's plans for publishing
    Vol 3 of the Toolbox reference and the GS/OS reference. I appreciated
    knowing the timeframe so I could decide not to purchase the beta versions.
  - Dave Lyons moved from DTS to Tools development last year. Shows that
    Apple still has a commitment to development, not "just" support.
  - When Andy Nicholas was hired as a developer by Apple, he made it known
    that they wanted him to improve the Finder. He recently hinted that the
    work was done, and that the results made the current version look lame
    in comparison. Reading between the lines: if he finished the work, it
    must be into system testing, so the release *should* only be a few
    months away (unless significant problems are found in the system). A
    new Finder wouldn't be the only piece of software released, so I'm
    expecting a new version of the system disk.

>I just find that these rumors only start *because* of the obvious lack of
>support and/or confusion on how to market two product lines
I agree that the marketing of the II line has been minimal to non-existant.
But rumors will fly whenever anyone thinks they can figure out what's going
on "behind closed doors."

>I really do not see rumors and hopes flying rampant in the Macintosh world
I don't follow the Mac world closely, but have heard plenty of rumors. Are
they developing a high-end Mac based upon a RISC chip? Will Apple port some
of their Mac software to run on IBM systems? A couple of years ago, an
experienced Apple engineer was fired because he posted some information
about future products on a bulletin board system. Maybe that keeps the
rumors down.

>Furthermore, it's really uplifting to see sarcastic remarks like those of Mr.
>Nicholas (Hi Andy!), with no substance at all.
The substance I got out of Andy's message: don't believe the rumors read on
comp.sys.apple2. The "Sears will carry Apple IIs beginning April 15" rumor
generated a *lot* of messages from people who were outraged that Sears
was chosen as an Apple outlet. Andy was reminding us not to get worked up
about things that might not happen at all.

>It seems to me that apple is employing a clever strategy of hiring top nothc
>people like Andy, and thus effectively silencing them.
Woah...a conspiracy theory: Apple will hire any good II people, then lock
them away in an ivory tower *just to kill the II line*! I suppose you could
read the results that way, but I see different motivations:
   - Apple wants the best engineers.
   - Once Apple hires an engineer, they make him or her work plenty hard.
     There's no longer as much time to post on the net. All the rumors
     on the net look pretty ridiculous, so there's less motivation to read...
     particularly when messages contain personal attacks.
   - As part of the Apple team, it's harder to make individual contributions
     visible. We know Andy is "Mr. Shrinkit" because he designed and coded
     Shrinkit and GSHK on his own. Dave Lyons' contributions of Nifty List,
     DIcEd, DaveX, etc., before he joined Apple were obvious because they
     had the DAL label on them. Now that they are part of a larger team, it's
     harder to see which part of the total system they have worked on.
   - If Apple treats an employee unfairly, there are plenty of opportunities
     for them with other Silicon Valley companies. I have no doubt that if
     Dave, Matt, or Andy thought their work was being buried they would be
     out the door.

-- Dave Tribby

P.S. Did I get it right, guys?

spock@incom.incom.de (Martin Georg) (04/25/91)

Netters,

You've all heared now what Andy and Dave said about their work. Most of us here
really appriciate that they spent their very own spare time to be with us to
provide help and solve technical questions about current Apple II products from
Apple.

Please keep in mind:
Any flames directed at Andy, Dave or someone else will only cause trouble, dis-
satisfaction and frustration to all of us, the guys from Apple included. You
will not change anything with sarcastic or outraged flames. Please begin to
see that they work very hard to provide us with the best they can do in that
time.

If you want to express your complaints about Apple's current Apple II policy,
direct your thoughts towards the right people at Apple. Write a letter to
Ralph Russo and/or Jane Lee. Be clear and precise and avoid empty phrases or
general attacks. Just express your opinion and ask for a reply.

I think we'll see the results from Andy's (and all other Apple II guys at
Apple) soon when their new stuff is released.

Martin Georg
Frankfurt/Germany
German Sysop, GEnie (AUGE e.V., Apple IIgs SIG, Germany)
----> Apple II forever! <----

-Rich-@cup.portal.com (Richard Sherman Payne) (04/25/91)

>In article <41602@cup.portal.com> -Rich-@cup.portal.com (Richard Payne)
>writes:
>
>>>Assuming that you're talking about me, I kind of doubt that Apple is locking
>>>me into an "Ivory Tower" -- I'm working harder towards contributing towards
>>>the Apple II far more now than I was before just working on ShrinkIt.
>
>>>I have no substantive way to prove this...
>
>Reread that, it's important ^^^
>
>>>didn't think possible in the time given.  I'm just one person, and I've
>>>done the very best I could.
>
>Perhaps I should rephrase that to read: I'm only human, and I've done the best
>job that I could -- the point that I'm trying to make is that there are
>limits to what I can do.  If that's not good enough for some people, I'm truly
>sorry, but I can't do any better.
>
>>Cmon Andy, are'nt you under some sort of a non-disclosure aggrement?
>
>Yes I am.  Does signing a non-disclosure statement mean that I am
>automatically condemned to "Ivory Tower" status because I can keep a secret?
>
>The point I was trying to make was that just because you don't see me
>contributing doesn't mean that I'm not contributing.  We can all contribute in
>our own way -- I'm trying my own way by working at Apple, and trying my best.
>
>andy
>
>--
>Andy Nicholas                  GEnie & America-Online: shrinkit
>Apple IIGS System Software                 CompuServe: 70771,2615
>Apple Computer, Inc.                         InterNET: shrinkit@apple.com

I'm sorry Andy, you seem to have gotten the wrong idea. What I meant to reply
to was a post where you stated that you were not telling any more or any less
than you knew just because you were now working at Apple. I do not now, nor hav
I ever had any doubts about your integrity, but I do feel that you must still
be bound by a non-disclosure agreement. So while you almost certainly must
know more (about APple's plans/developments/etc), you probably cannot tell us.
It seems that I grabbed the text about the Ivory tower by mistake, my apologies
.
I do not think of you in an Ivory Tower.

But you deleted the line about the value of your contributions. Perhaps
you were a bit upset, but that was my main point. Few in the Apple community
have done more. I still love my //gs, and I certainly have no complaint's
about yourself.

Pat yourself on the back, you've earned it, and more. And you're not the only
one who works 80 hour weeks. Though I have been keeping them in the 60-70
hour range for now. But the next new product will change that. And I fully
understand the remark about the loss of a personal life. This part hurts
more than anything else sometimes.

Rich

hzink@alchemy.UUCP (Harry K. Zink) (04/28/91)

Andy,

My post was really more in response to your rather acidic comment concerning
the (always) resurfacing rumors of hopeful announcements (which never happen).
Instead of maybe thinking why people need to have such hopeless hopes, and
construct such rumors that they cling to, you felt it appropriate to smugly
mention that once again they were wrong and it seems to me that you enjoyed
that comment!

Granted, one *CAN* get tired of the continued rumors resurfacing, and maybe
that was one of the reasons you adopted that attitude.  It just seemed awfully
cocky coming from you, talking to the commoners about these parts...

Of course, instead of maybe dealing with any of the issues I brought up (people
needing the illusions and hopes of rumors because they are being continually
disapointed by apple), all you could muster is:

> And, Harry, who are you to judge me?
>
>andy

Which was a nice attempt to simply divert blame by trying to say:"HOw dare you
judge me considering your performance/past record/non-connection to the GS
world".

Well, Andy, but I do not need to be a GS guru (and I'm more than willingvto
admit that I use Macintosh and am very happy with it) to be able to tell when a
company pisses on its users, or when an individual seems overly arrogant.

Now, do not misunderstand me:  I am not questioning that you are working very
hard on future innovations to GS/OS and the finder, and that you are most
likley weaving your usual ind of magic to dazzle the people that say "It can't
be done".  I know your work, and I am very impressed by it.  It is not your
work that is at debate here, but merely your attitude during that one comment
of yours.

Harry

 uucp : ucrmath!alchemy!hzink |     Financial Independence *CAN* be Yours!
 INET : hzink@alchemy.uucp    | 24hr Taped Information Hotline (714) 276-2020
 -----------------------------+------------------------------------------------
 Wesley: "Captain, this doesn't look like the holodeck to me."
   Worf: "Ready to cycle airlock, Captain." Picard: "Make it so."

hzink@alchemy.UUCP (Harry K. Zink) (04/28/91)

Dave,

Let me clarify a few points that I believe have been misunderstood.

First of all, IU thank you *VERY MUCH* for a well written, informative and in
no way ridiculous message.  I enjoyed reading it very much.  Really.

My original post, which might have been a bit acidic, was directly to 98%
towards Andy's original post.  You might be correct in interpreting what his
intention of the post was (only he knows for sure), but the way his tone came
accross sure didn't seem that way.  I believe that you have made the point in a
much better fashion (to stop being paranoid and to get on with it) than he did,
and I thank you for it.

You also mentioned that:

> I object to the implication that we are doing something dishonest.  The

In no way was I implying that you, the DTS people, are doing anything less than
honest.  Like I said in my previous post to Andy, I am well aware that you guys
are continually working on improving the toolbox and GS/OS, and that you are
most likely doing miraculous things.  I am not, nor will I ever question that.
On the other hand, I do believe that the apple marketing dpet is completely
incompetent and individuals like Jane Lee and her cohorst are proving that time
and time again on on-line conferences.  This is, as you correctly mentioned,
not your responsibility (marketing) nor is it mine.  Nevertheless, we are all
allowed our opinion on incompetence, aren't we..?

I also understand that none of you from DTS can divulge information about what
you are working on at this time, and I know that all of you are most helpful
when it comes to current questions.  I am not accusing you of anything for
being quiet.  In fact, I am not accusing YOU, Dave, of anything, as so far you
reply and message on this netgroup has been the most intelligible and to the
point answer I have read.  It wasn't tainted with sarcasm (like Andy's) or
arrogance and confusion (like Matt's).  It was just straight talk and I believe
most of us here enjoyed that as much as I did.  I applaud you and want you to
know that none of what you thought was directed towards you and DTS was in fact
so.

This whole argument had more to do with the attitudes of some in posting to
this system, then their competence with apple DTS.

In summary, thank you for the encouraging words concerning the apple II.  We
are all looking forward to your works when they are completed and when we are
allowed to see them.

Harry

shrinkit@Apple.COM (Andrew Nicholas) (05/01/91)

In article <416@alchemy.UUCP> hzink@alchemy.UUCP (Harry K. Zink) writes:

>Instead of maybe thinking why people need to have such hopeless hopes, and
>construct such rumors that they cling to, you felt it appropriate to smugly
>mention that once again they were wrong and it seems to me that you enjoyed
>that comment!

Just curious, but how can you tell by reading the ASCII that I produce
whether I meant something smugly or not?

Incidently, I didn't mean anything smugly -- and I don't take any great
joy in saying that people have spent energy that could have been put to better
use by listening to yet another "the apple II is toast" rumor.  At the time
I wrote the letter you are talking about I was more frustrated than anything
else -- it takes a great deal of patience to sit here and listen to people
posting rumors which have absolutely no basis in fact, or are so outlandish
that they'd never happen.  I wasn't feeling smug, I was feeling frustrated.

>Granted, one *CAN* get tired of the continued rumors resurfacing, and maybe
>that was one of the reasons you adopted that attitude.  It just seemed awfully
>cocky coming from you, talking to the commoners about these parts...

It all depends on how you read things I guess.  If you think that I'm sitting
here with some kind of attitude problem and that I think that I'm somehow
"holier than thou," then that's your right -- but that's not what I think.

>Of course, instead of maybe dealing with any of the issues I brought up (people
>needing the illusions and hopes of rumors because they are being continually
>disapointed by apple), all you could muster is:
>>
>> And, Harry, who are you to judge me?
>
>Which was a nice attempt to simply divert blame by trying to say:"HOw dare you
>judge me considering your performance/past record/non-connection to the GS
>world".

You can read a lot into that, but since you seem to want me to explain it, I
will.  I was merely saying that I don't think you are qualified to judge the
work that I've been doing because you haven't seen it.  I've been hired by
Apple and my work gets judged by my coworkers and my bosses.  At some point
it's probable that you may see some of the work that results, but the work
that goes into what I do at Apple will only be seen by the people who work
with me.

>Well, Andy, but I do not need to be a GS guru (and I'm more than willingvto
>admit that I use Macintosh and am very happy with it) to be able to tell when a
>company pisses on its users, or when an individual seems overly arrogant.

I'm very willing to admit that I use a Macintosh also.  I have 2 in my cube at
work along with my GS and logic analyzer.  I don't understand?  What the big
deal about admitting that you use a Macintosh? (I must have missed something).

No, I didn't address anything in your letter which dealt with how disgruntled
Apple has made some of its users.  Apple has done this, but I'm not capable
of adequently addressing all that is involved, nor should I try.  I'm just a
software engineer, not someone higher up.  One thing which you could do which
might save you some time is not to try to convince me that I'm the root of all
evil at Apple.  This is how you've made me feel.

Sorry if I sounded like I was "overly arrogant."  I wasn't trying to be... it's
just that I felt like you had been personally condemning me for working for
Apple and also for not "producing."  My response was just to point out that
I am trying very hard to do the best that I can, but because I work for
Apple, you're not going to see what I'm doing, that's all -- and because
you can't see what I'm doing, I don't feel it's right of you to condemn me
when you can't gather all the facts in my case.

>But merely your attitude during that one comment of yours.

I hope part of this letter allows you to understand that electronic
communications can be sufficiently vague as to allow misunderstandings to
occur, and I really hope that you don't think I'm "stuck up" or "arrogant"
or whetever...

Rather, if you have to judge me, judge by something tangible (the results)
rather than something intangible (my work in progress).

>Harry

andy

--

In article <417@alchemy.UUCP> hzink@alchemy.UUCP (Harry K. Zink) writes:

>My original post, which might have been a bit acidic, was directly to 98%
>towards Andy's original post.  You might be correct in interpreting what his
>intention of the post was (only he knows for sure),

Actually, that's not really true -- Dave knew my intention because he spends
a large portion of his time near, close to, or in my cube at work.  The
reverse is also true.  Dave's cube is about 15, maybe 20 feet from mine.

>In no way was I implying that you, the DTS people,

>know that none of what you thought was directed towards you and DTS was in fact
>so.

>this system, then their competence with apple DTS.

Dave and I do not work for DTS -- we work for Apple IIGS System Software... DTS
(Matt Deatherage works for Developer Technical Support) is in one of the City
Center buildings.  Dave is a Toolbox Engineer, while I work on the Finder. Matt
answers developer questions, writes sample code, and deals with a whole bunch
of other things that I can't quite remember right now... ;-)

>It wasn't tainted with sarcasm (like Andy's)

Huh?  I thought you said I was being arrogant?  Well, in either case, my
message wasn't meant to be sarcastic either -- if I had wanted my original
message to be sarcastic, why would I bother to spend so much time trying to
tell folks what I intended?  (Which, to be sure, is an indication that I
should brush up on my network and communication skills, gak -- hmmm... maybe
I need more smileys in my messages?).

:-)

andy

--

dlyons@Apple.COM (David A. Lyons) (05/01/91)

In article <417@alchemy.UUCP> hzink@alchemy.UUCP (Harry K. Zink) writes:
>[...]
>In no way was I implying that you [...] are doing anything less than
>honest.  [...] On the other hand, I do believe that the apple marketing
>dpet is completely incompetent and individuals like Jane Lee and her
>cohorst are proving that time and time again on on-line conferences.
>[...] we are all allowed our opinion on incompetence, aren't we..?

Yes, you are welcome to your opinion on incompetence; but I still take
exception to the claim that there is anything dishonest about the way
we are conducting business.

I can see how you might feel "misled" at this stage by comments made
by Jane Lee and others over the last year or so.  I want to point out
two things: (1) everyone is acting in good faith...when they said "I
expect X to happen" they really did; and (2) those things may *still*
happen.  I wish I could be specific.

(By the way, I guess I deleted all the "nice" things in your message,
Harry.  Sorry about that; I read them but didn't have anything to add.)
--
David A. Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.      |   DAL Systems
Apple II System Software Engineer         |   P.O. Box 875
America Online: Dave Lyons                |   Cupertino, CA 95015-0875
GEnie:DAVE.LYONS  CompuServe:72177,3233 Internet:dlyons@apple.com

My opinions are my own, not Apple's.

bazyar@ernie (Jawaid Bazyar) (05/01/91)

In article <52202@apple.Apple.COM> shrinkit@Apple.COM (Andrew Nicholas) writes:
>Actually, that's not really true -- Dave knew my intention because he spends
>a large portion of his time near, close to, or in my cube at work.  The
>reverse is also true.  Dave's cube is about 15, maybe 20 feet from mine.

   Do you guys throw Koosh balls at each other over the walls of your cubes?
Inquiring minds want to know.

  Hey! Just call me Mr. Levity.
--

shrinkit@Apple.COM (Andrew Nicholas) (05/02/91)

In article <1991May1.004439.19806@m.cs.uiuc.edu> bazyar@cs.uiuc.edu (Jawaid Bazyar) writes:

>>reverse is also true.  Dave's cube is about 15, maybe 20 feet from mine.
>
>   Do you guys throw Koosh balls at each other over the walls of your cubes?
>Inquiring minds want to know.

Koosh balls?  No, but Dave has a bunch of "whoosh" frisbees that I often find
landing in my cube while I'm working and Dave is bored (doesn't happen too
often).

andy

--
Andy Nicholas			GEnie & America-Online: shrinkit
Apple IIGS System Software		    CompuServe: 70771,2615
Apple Computer, Inc.			      InterNET: shrinkit@apple.com

In article <1991May1.004439.19806@m.cs.uiuc.edu> bazyar@cs.uiuc.edu (Jawaid Bazyar) writes:

>   Do you guys throw Koosh balls at each other over the walls of your cubes?
>Inquiring minds want to know.
>
>  Hey! Just call me Mr. Levity.
>--
Funny you should mention Koosh(tm) balls...

When DTS lived in Valley Green 5, I had LOTS of Koosh balls.  About 33, to
be precise.  These were great fun.  We could hit the ceiling with them and
raise the tiles just enough to catch the feelers so the balls would stick
to the ceiling.  We had Koosh ball wars and destroyed more than a few plants.

The layout at City Center isn't as conducive to it, but we have several of
the Woosh(tm) frisbees which we play with occasionally.  I used to stand up
and ricochet them off the wall bordering Dave's cube, which is probably why
he left DTS to go to engineering.

I also have Nerf guns, a Nerf Soccer ball, Nerf fencing, an Aerobie boomerang
(which I am not stupid enough to use indoors, thank you), blocks and marbles
as well as about a dozen Koosh that haven't been lost over the years.

But, I digress.

Matt Deatherage, Developer Technical  | The opinions expressed herein are
Support, Apple Computer, Inc.         | not those of Apple Computer, and
Personal mail only, please.  Thanks.  | shame on you for thinking otherwise.

gt0t+@andrew.cmu.edu (Gregory Ross Thompson) (05/03/91)

mattd@Apple.COM (Matt Deatherage) writes:
> I also have Nerf guns, a Nerf Soccer ball, Nerf fencing, an Aerobie boomerang
> (which I am not stupid enough to use indoors, thank you), blocks and marbles
> as well as about a dozen Koosh that haven't been lost over the years.
>
> But, I digress.

  Hey, I wish my work environment was that fun...  Sounds like you
guys are doing a pretty good job of avoiding insanity.

  Good to have ya back, Matt.

> --
> Matt Deatherage, Developer Technical  | The opinions expressed herein are
> Support, Apple Computer, Inc.         | not those of Apple Computer, and
> Personal mail only, please.  Thanks.  | shame on you for thinking otherwise.

		-Greg T.
		 InterNet: gt0t+@andrew.cmu.edu
		 BITNet  : R746GT0T@CMCCVB
		 AOL     : GRThompson