[comp.sys.apple2] programming info needed

JC7USANW@MIAMIU.BITNET (05/03/91)

i'm not quit sure what to ask for so i'll say what i'm trying to do, then
perhaps someone could tell me some tech notes to look at, or send me an
idea of where to start.

i'm trying to patch some of GS/OS.
i want to :

i want to change the error beeps to playbacks of some digitized sounds,
 ie, a voice thatsays, 'disk is unreadable' or something like that
 whenever a unformated  disk is inserted into the drive.

                                  thanks for any help,

                                                -james

dlyons@Apple.COM (David A. Lyons) (05/04/91)

In article <91122.201451JC7USANW@MIAMIU.BITNET> JC7USANW@MIAMIU.BITNET writes:
>[...]
>i want to change the error beeps to playbacks of some digitized sounds,
> ie, a voice thatsays, 'disk is unreadable' or something like that
> whenever a unformated  disk is inserted into the drive.

What you want to do is very difficult in the current system, since there
are no hooks provided for that sort of thing.

I think sound like that are really nifty.  Can't promise anything, but it
would be neat for the system to provide a way to do what you want without
requiring you to patch GS/OS or the toolbox.
--
David A. Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.      |   DAL Systems
Apple II System Software Engineer         |   P.O. Box 875

My opinions are my own, not Apple's.