[comp.sys.apple2] BinSCII and ShrinkIt GS

lecates@brahms.udel.edu (Roy M Lecates) (04/29/91)

I really enjoy downloading games and utilities from FTP sites, but running
both BinSCII and ShrinkIt seems to be a waste.  Is anyone planning to add
a "Decode BinSCII" option to the ShrinkIt GS menu bar?  It would be much,
much more convenient than running the stand-alone BinSCII.  Anyone agree?

Roy LeCates                                        lecates@chopin.udel.edu

In article <20892@brahms.udel.edu> lecates@brahms.udel.edu (Roy M Lecates) writes:
>I really enjoy downloading games and utilities from FTP sites, but running
>both BinSCII and ShrinkIt seems to be a waste.  Is anyone planning to add
>a "Decode BinSCII" option to the ShrinkIt GS menu bar?  It would be much,
>much more convenient than running the stand-alone BinSCII.  Anyone agree?

	No I don't agree.

	If you're on a UNIX site, use SCIIBIN.. It un-BINSCIIs your files on
UNIX for you, reducing the download time by a whole lot.  And it supports
wildcards and all that jazz, so if you download a bunch of stuff at a time,
it's even easier than if there were an unBinscii option in ShrinkIt (Which
I doubt'll ever happen).  That is, "sciibin *bsq" will unbinscii all the
files, assuming they have ".bsq" on the end, which seems to be the standard.
--
/unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu Apple IIGS Forever! WANT ULTIMA VI //e or GS?-mail me.\
\CHEAP CDs info-mail me. McIntosh Junior:  The Power to Crush the Other Kids. /

ART100@psuvm.psu.edu (Andy Tefft) (04/29/91)

In article <15133@darkstar.ucsc.edu>, unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User)
says:

>        If you're on a UNIX site, use SCIIBIN.. It un-BINSCIIs your files on
>UNIX for you, reducing the download time by a whole lot.

SOMETIMES.  If you are using Kermit over a 7-bit data path (because
that is the only way to transfer files over 7-bit data paths, which
some of us cannot avoid, as much as we wish we could), the 8-bit
quoting involved in downloading a binary file can DOUBLE the file
transfer time, while binscii would increase it only by about half.

Also, there are distinct advantages to downloading your files
in small chunks, especially if your transfer is likely to get
aborted. Binscii lets you do that. Then you can recombine the
files on the GS before you run them through binscii (there has
to be an easy way to join files on the GS, no?) if you want.

Also, sometimes you can use text captures on your binscii segments,
reducing your download time by a whole lot.

taob@pnet91.cts.com (Brian Tao) (04/30/91)

    I was skimming through a few Apple ftp sites I usually don't visit last
weekend, and when I was done, I noticed some of the Binscii files had a
leading space before each line in the file.  sciibin (compiled under UNIX for
a Sun 3/60) nor GScii+ 2.0 recognized these files as Binscii archives.  After
a stripped off the leading spaces, they decoded properly.  Interestingly, Dave
Whitney's original Binscii handled these files without any complaints.  I hope
Derek Taubert is reading this...

Brian T. Tao   *B-) |  t569taob@bluffs.scar.utoronto.ca  | "Though this be
U of Metro Toronto  |               - or -               |  madness, yet there
Scarberia, ON       |        taob@pnet91.cts.com         |  is method in 't."

dat33228@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Derek A. Taubert) (04/30/91)

In article <674@generic.UUCP> taob@pnet91.cts.com (Brian Tao) writes:

>a Sun 3/60) nor GScii+ 2.0 recognized these files as Binscii archives.  After
>a stripped off the leading spaces, they decoded properly.  Interestingly, Dave
>Whitney's original Binscii handled these files without any complaints.  I hope
>Derek Taubert is reading this...

Yea, he read that.  Version 2.1 (look ma, no beta!) fixes this since so many
of the ftp sites are screwing up the files.  It also does uuen/decoding, and
fast too.  Soon to be released, I'm fixing everything so that I can use
optimization with orca.

--
+ Derek Taubert --> derek@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu + Author of : GScii+	      +
+		    dat33228@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu  + and other neat stuff to come +

shrinkit@Apple.COM (Andrew Nicholas) (05/01/91)

In article <20892@brahms.udel.edu> lecates@brahms.udel.edu (Roy M Lecates) writes:

>I really enjoy downloading games and utilities from FTP sites, but running
>both BinSCII and ShrinkIt seems to be a waste.  Is anyone planning to add
>a "Decode BinSCII" option to the ShrinkIt GS menu bar?  It would be much,
>much more convenient than running the stand-alone BinSCII.  Anyone agree?

I agree.  I'm due for another round of improvements on GS-ShrinkIt and
ShrinkIt very soon -- whenever Dave Whitney finishes the BinSCII 2.0 C decoder,
I'll probably be adding that GSHK so that you can at least decode Binscii
files.

andy

--
Andy Nicholas			GEnie & America-Online: shrinkit
Apple IIGS System Software		    CompuServe: 70771,2615

crew.wicklein@pro-midnightex.cts.com (Chris Wicklein) (05/04/91)

   On a GS, you can use the BINSCII <> NDA <>, and effectively HAVE BINSCII
as part of Shrink-It GS.
----
Chris Wicklein, ROM 3 GS guy.

Internet:  crew.wicklein@pro-midnightex.cts.com

Apple II Forever (i.e. until I can afford NeXT Forever)
"I am NOT a merry man!" --Warf