[comp.sys.apple2] HEEEELP.. hard drive woes.. woe is me woe is me..

unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu (The Unknown User) (04/28/91)

        What are errors $0002 and $00014?

        Both seem to happen with the error message "Unable to load
descriptors." I do not know what the "descriptors" they are talking about
are though.  It sure seems odd that two different error numbers can give the
same error description string.

        Also, what utilities can I use to map out bad blocks? Apparently
there ARE 3 bad blocks (one of them being semi-flaky as it registers as
bad sometimes and not others) on the hard drive. the ProDOS 8 program
on the DMA SCSI CARD disk registers them as bad, yet the Finder says
everything is hunky-dory.. which obviously ain't the case.

        I've even downloaded virgin System Disk 5.04 and the associated
Tools disk from apple.com, and installed everything properly.. When I first
tried to boot to the finder, it got 99% of the way there and barfed with an
0002  Unable to load descriptors

        So then I decided to just try to install Wings.. and it WORKED
when I booted it.. But I can't run the Finder from within Wings because
it gives the same error (pretty obvious that'd happen but it was worth
a shot)..

        Also I can't boot into ProDOS 8 since it says something to the
effect of "bad version".. I copied the new prodos 8 and basic launchers
too..  still the same error.. I certainly would doubt it that Wings isn't
working with 5.04 as it works fine with 5.02..

        This is really weird as when I did the naughty "just copy
junk onto the disk" without using the Installer, it never barfed at me.
That was with an older version of the system though I think.

        Suggestion to Andy Nicholas or other people who have something to
do with the Installer:

        PLEASE make future Installers a little bit more flexible. For
example, if I don't have a certain size font, KEEP GOING. Only barf on
things like Start.GS.OS and the Finder file itself, and that sort of
high magnitude stuff.

        This is a pretty late night post and so is probably more
disorganized than usual, but please disregard that. Yow, I just realized
I'm REALLY rambling in this post.. but I think I'd make it worse if I tried
to go back and edit it.

        Any help that you can give would be GREAT.  Thanks a lot..
E-mail would get to me faster but posting is fine as it may help other
people.
--
/unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu Apple IIGS Forever! WANT ULTIMA VI //e or GS?-mail me.\
\CHEAP CDs info-mail me. McIntosh Junior:  The Power to Crush the Other Kids. /

In article <15124@darkstar.ucsc.edu> unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu (The Unknown User) writes:

>        What are errors $0002 and $00014?
>
>        Both seem to happen with the error message "Unable to load
>descriptors." I do not know what the "descriptors" they are talking about
>are though.  It sure seems odd that two different error numbers can give the

Boy, do I know this one.  That error string is returned by code that's trying
to load the File Type Descriptors (for 5.0.x, that's FType.Main and FType.Aux)
from the *:Icons folder.  However, it only returns two original errors:  $4242
(no FTD files found) and $4243 (no FTD file with auxtype $0000).  If you're
getting anything else, it's being returned as a GS/OS or Memory Manager error
from one of the calls.  I would suspect hard drive problems, honestly.

>[...]
>        This is really weird as when I did the naughty "just copy
>junk onto the disk" without using the Installer, it never barfed at me.
>That was with an older version of the system though I think.
>
>        Suggestion to Andy Nicholas or other people who have something to
>do with the Installer:
>
>        PLEASE make future Installers a little bit more flexible. For
>example, if I don't have a certain size font, KEEP GOING. Only barf on
>things like Start.GS.OS and the Finder file itself, and that sort of
>high magnitude stuff.

No, No, No, No!  I'll fight it, I will I will I will.

Why?  Because to do so would mean you could throw together something that
looked kind of like a real system disk, install from it and have who-knows-what
on your disk and still think it was "installed by the Installer."

Using the Installer needs to be _easier_, granted.  But to make it work from
things which aren't the real system disks is, IMHO, a really not-so-great idea.

Matt Deatherage, Developer Technical  | The opinions expressed herein are
Support, Apple Computer, Inc.         | not those of Apple Computer, and
Personal mail only, please.  Thanks.  | shame on you for thinking otherwise.

crew.wicklein@pro-midnightex.cts.com (Chris Wicklein) (05/04/91)

   As a GS user who bought a single 3.5" drive with my machine, with plans
to get a HD later (this summer!!!), I would REALLY like to see an Installer
that works better with a single drive. Thanks.
----
Chris Wicklein, ROM 3 GS guy.

Internet:  crew.wicklein@pro-midnightex.cts.com

Apple II Forever (i.e. until I can afford NeXT Forever)
"I am NOT a merry man!" --Warf