[comp.sys.apple2] Help

qii@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Peter Van Vleet) (05/04/90)

	Hello,
		I have just began to explore the wonderful world of
 ftp sites, and I was curious if anyone might be able to enlighten me
 on the fine art of uncompressing and exectracting files once I get them
 downloaded to my GS.

			Many thanks in advance,

				Peter Van Vleet
				qii@mentor.cc.purdue.edu

mhhaines@uokmax.uucp (Mark Howard Haines) (05/25/90)

I have have several very technical questions that I hope someone can help me
with. I don't have access to Compuserve, so if someone doesn't know the
answers to these questions, but would forward them to Compuserve, I would be
most thankful.
   First let me describe exactly what I'm doing. I am creating a character set
for an apple //e that will include the german characters (7 additional). I
have already found how to burn the necessary ROM. Now I would like to make
my own I/O routines so that the user need only execute a machine language
routine and have special key presses access my character set.
   I have already made some progress, but I have several questions concerning
the hardware and software alike. So here goes:

1) I would like to place the new characters in ROM so that they replace the
   mouse characters. I know where in the video ROM the mouse characters are,
   but I can't get the computer to display them. I've tried poking numbers
   directly to the video RAM, so it has to be a soft switch. Anyone know where
   in memory the soft switch is wired?

2) I have and old reference manual that has an assembly listing of the old
   apple ][+ autostart ROMs. Does anyone know a book or any source where I
   can get a hold of a listing of the revisions for he //e. I would also
   like technical descriptions and schematics of the //e.

3) I have already tried replacing the keyboard reading and screen writing
   routines by altering the soft pointers in the zero page. It works okay
   except I have some problems with PRODOS and the cursor. PRODOS will
   reset a portion of the keyboard read soft vector every time it calls its
   character out routine. This is the only reason right now that I replace
   the character out soft vector with my own routine. Does anyone know of
   a good technical reference on PRODOS which gets down to the actual code
   listings?

4) When I replace the standard PRODOS output routine with the vector that
   the 80 column card sets up when PRODOS is not in memory, something funny
   happens. The cursor changes and freezes in place. This leads me to believe
   that the cursor on the 80 column card is controled separately. Am I correct
   in this assumtion? If so, how do I control the cursor?

Thanks in advance for all help. Like I said before anyone who wants to
forward this to Compuserve, please feel free. Or if you already know the
answers, please reply either in this news group or email to me at:

mhhaines@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu

I appoligize to the technical gurus out there for this. I use to be heavily
into th apple // series years ago and am now getting back into them. If I
hadn't left for so long, I would probably know much of what I have asked and
would probably have a library of books containing the references I have
mentioned. As it is, I have no idea right now where to find this information
so I am here wasting band width on the net.

mhhaines@uokmax.uucp (Mark Howard Haines) (05/26/90)

>1) I would like to place the new characters in ROM so that they replace the
>   mouse characters. I know where in the video ROM the mouse characters are,
>   but I can't get the computer to display them. I've tried poking numbers
>   directly to the video RAM, so it has to be a soft switch. Anyone know where
>   in memory the soft switch is wired?

>3) I have already tried replacing the keyboard reading and screen writing
>   routines by altering the soft pointers in the zero page. It works okay
>   except I have some problems with PRODOS and the cursor. PRODOS will
>   reset a portion of the keyboard read soft vector every time it calls its
>   character out routine. This is the only reason right now that I replace
>   the character out soft vector with my own routine. Does anyone know of
>   a good technical reference on PRODOS which gets down to the actual code
>   listings?

Ooops....I messed up. I just checked and it turns out that there is a way
to get the mouse characters to show by invoking the 80 column card.
(Previously I was getting it to show all the characters in standard video
mode, although I guess there's still a soft switch since the 80 column card
has to get at those extra characters some how).
   I also ran into another problem. Seems there's something different in the
two revisions of the //e mother boards I'm working with. One when I call the
character out routine at $C307 works fine in displaying mouse characters. The
other however filters them out (subtracts 64 if 63<character<128). So I guess
I need to know the difference in motherboard revisions and how the 80 column
card does it;s thing (i.e. anyone got source for the 80 col ROMs???)

misfit@trauma.guti.sld.ar (Martin Gil) (08/04/90)

Bye!!
| Hospital General de Ni#os       | Martin Gil                                |
| "Dr. Ricardo Gutierrez"         | VOICE : +54 1 962-5433 FAX: +54 1 962-3762|
| Gallo 1330                      | E-mail: misfit@guti.sld.ar                |
| Capital Federal(1425)           |         ...uunet!atina!opsarg!guti!misfit |
| Buenos Aires    ARGENTINA       | UNIX & OOPS RULES!!                       |

U49178@UICVM.UIC.EDU (DENYSE STURGES 996-2742) (10/02/90)

Novice here--I think I have joined the wrong list.  Anyone know who con-
centrates on HyperCard and HyperTalk?  I'd appreciate the info, and then
I'll move on!!

eldorado@ECN.PURDUE.EDU (David D Jansen) (11/06/90)

Could some one give me some help with writing to ports 1 or 2 in
assembly?  So far all I can do is PR#2, PR#0 and then it will allow me
to store characters in the data registers, 49304 and 49320.  How do I go
about initializing the ports to read/write to them?
Could you tell me about how to use the USR() function?  Where is the
parameter passed from BASIC get stored to access it from assembly?  How
do you return a value from assembly to BASIC?
Is there a book that explains the BASIC ROMs that would stop me from
asking questions like I did above?

Just back for a visit.
Dave Jansen             |  INTERNET:  eldorado@en.ecn.purdue.edu
Electrical Engineering  |  BITNET:    eldorado%ea.ecn.purdue.edu@purccvm
Purdue University       |  UUCP:     {purdue, pur-ee}!en.ecn.purdue.edu!eldorado

WKF2298@RITVAX.ISC.RIT.EDU (Wonko the Sane) (12/03/90)

	HELP!  I'm totally confused!?!?!  I'm connected to you guys through
the listserv at NDSUVM1, so like, I'm getting all this mail from Info-Apple at
Apple.Com.  Anyway, while out for Thanksgiving, my disk quota exceeded and I
lost a lot of mail.  No major problem.  But after fixing the problem, I haven't
been receiving any mail at all.
	At first I thought it was because my bounced mail was causing an error
which got me suspended.  I checked my status at listserv@ndsuvm1 and it said
I was fine.  Then I asked two people to issue a SERVE command just in case, but
they said I was on the list.
	My conclusion was that my mail was probably shot back to INFO-APPLE
itself. . . but there is no listserv for me to control.

	SO SOMEONE!  HELP ME GET MY MAIL BACK. . . I MISS YOU GUYS!  (sob sob)

	If anyone can figure out how I can get back. . . PLEASE. . . let me
know.  Thanks you all very much.

						Later,

						William K. Fry
						wkf2298@ritvax.isc.rit.edu

rsf@pro-applephelia.cts.com (Randy Fisher) (12/13/90)

Greetings. I inherited an Apple ][e with a 300bps modem. Other than some
simple manuevers I know nothing about modems and such. I do know that I want a
faster modem (1200 or 2400) but most that I've seen in stores are say "IBM
compatable" . If anyone could provide me with a clue where to get a faster
modem and software it would be appreciated. Also info on whether to get an
internal or external. Remember...I'm new... Thanks.
----
ProLine:  rsf@pro-applephelia
Internet: rsf@pro-applephelia.cts.com
UUCP:     crash!pro-applephelia!rsf
ARPA:     crash!pro-applephelia!rsf@nosc.mil

tomk@pro-grouch.cts.com (Tom Kelly) (12/16/90)

Is your 300 baud modem external?
If so then you should be able to use any other (faster) external modem.   They
generally all use a RS-232 interface.
Are you using a Super Serial Card to run the modem?
For more detailed info, send detailed questions to me via E-Mail.

UUCP: crash!pro-grouch!tomk
ARPA: crash!pro-grouch!tomk@nosc.mil

kiuchi@sumax.seattleu.edu (Usagi Yojimbo) (01/23/91)

    Being a person who has learned programming from an apple computer, I am
having a lot of difficulties in trying to program in the unix via vi editor.
Questions are:
1)How do I do a for next loop in this language, ex. FOR A =1 TO 1000 :NEXT
2)How do I print the certain number's character string, ex CHR$(A)
3)How do I print variables, ex PRINT A

Any help is appreciated a lot.. please help a member of the apple // ownership
learn unix programming..

--
*Kevin Kame Kiuchi from the Half Shell and part of Rhemus Relivus*******
*Comments or complaints to such absurdities: kiuchi@sumax.seattleu.edu*

In article <2175@sumax.seattleu.edu> kiuchi@sumax.seattleu.edu (Usagi Yojimbo) writes:

>    Being a person who has learned programming from an apple computer, I am
>having a lot of difficulties in trying to program in the unix via vi editor.

	There is no such thing as pogramming "in the unix via vi editor"...

	vi is simply an editor... Like AppleWorks, AppleWriter, WordPerfect,
etc... It's just an online "word processor" (although "editor" is more
appropriate)
	Since you seem to be just starting vi also, I'd like to tell you that
it DOES get better! Most people (including me) seem to HATE vi for a while,
even months/years... But eventually you find out that it can do a HELL of a
lot for you, and is actually quite nice... Although another UNIX editor,
emacs, allegedly does it better, vi will autoindent for you when you're
writing a program... Very handy...  Now, I actually -like- vi. I certainly
don't use it for actual writing of reports and stuff (I was actually
very surprised yesterday when someone I know was using vi to write a report..
He used other tools also that are for use with laser printers)

>Questions are:

>1)How do I do a for next loop in this language, ex. FOR A =1 TO 1000 :NEXT

	WHAT language are you using? That's the main question that needs
to be answered. The only thing that I can think of as being called
"programming in unix" (without using a specific language name), would be
programming shell scripts...

>2)How do I print the certain number's character string, ex CHR$(A)
>3)How do I print variables, ex PRINT A

	See the answer for #1!

--
/Apple II(GS) Forever! unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu MAIL ME FOR INFO ABOUT CHEAP CDs\
\WRITE TO ORIGIN ABOUT ULTIMA VI //e and IIGS! Mail me for addresses, & info. /

aabenson@BALANCE.CS.MTU.EDU (01/25/91)

Hey, Unknown...  kiuchi wasn't the one confused.  If you noticed all the
headers, there was something about "Programming cshell stuff".  That's what
the writer was interested in.

 - Andrew.

ifar355@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) (01/25/91)

In article <2175@sumax.seattleu.edu> kiuchi@sumax.seattleu.edu (Usagi Yojimbo) writes:

>    Being a person who has learned programming from an apple computer, I am
>having a lot of difficulties in trying to program in the unix via vi editor.
>Questions are:
>1)How do I do a for next loop in this language, ex. FOR A =1 TO 1000 :NEXT
>2)How do I print the certain number's character string, ex CHR$(A)
>3)How do I print variables, ex PRINT A
>
>Any help is appreciated a lot.. please help a member of the apple // ownership
>learn unix programming..

Usagi dude, Unix is an operating system, not a programming language...
However, you can write programs in many languages (C, Pascal, Fortran are the
main ones). If you want to find out about those languages, check out a good
book on one of them.

If you want to program the C-Shell, ask around on the other Unix
nesgroups (forgot the names though...)

--
David Huang                                 |
Internet: ifar355@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu        |     "My ganglion is stuck in

fraenhawk@oak.circa.ufl.edu (02/05/91)

   I'm new to the VAXes and was wondering how you use the files found in
comp.binaries.apple2 - what conversions are necessary. I have GS Shrinkit, but
I kept seeing something called BINscii mentioned. If it's necc. where is it?
Any help will be welcome,      Thanks,
               David

fraenhawk@oak.circa.ufl.edu (David Isaacson) (02/20/91)

I have what'll probably a relatively simple question.  I recieved mail from 2
people with copies of Binscii back when I originally asked.  How do I reply to
them? I'm on a VAX and when I'm in mail, I can't figure how to use the
addresses. Plus I'll be lucky if this gets through. Every time I try to reply
to a message I get into the editor, type it up, exi, and when Newsrdr asks
if I'm ready to send I say yes. Then, instead of saying the message was posted,
it gives me an error saying that my message was longer than "new text\".
What does that mean?

David

ag0514@leah.albany.edu (Andy Goldstein) (03/12/91)

oops.

gt1077c@prism.gatech.edu (gt1077c JONES,MARK ANTHONY) (03/21/91)

I am trying desperately to find out how to postnews on the comp.sys.apple2
bulletin, but I keep getting a not authorized message.  How can I post news?

Thanks a bunch!

Mark A. Jones

BAUGY@HUJIVM1.BITNET (Gedaliahu Zilberberg) (04/21/91)

HELP

tnab0@isuvax.iastate.edu (ALLAN) (05/04/91)

Obviously, I 'm new to net-land, so I dunno if this is teh right place to ask
this question, but here I go anyway.  Last summer, when my house flooded, I
lost a lot of my computer stuff (the machine is OK, I lost mainly software and
books...)  Anyway, I have a CMS SCSI card, and I need to get the manual and
software for it (I need to do a low-level format, and most of the stuff out
there doesn't like the CMS card...)  Anyway, is there an E-mail address out
there that I could get in touch with the CMS guys.  Either that or a regulat
mail address...

    _.___
  M1 Abrams