[comp.sys.apple2] 256K GS

I409@DMAFHT1.BITNET (KRS) (05/02/91)

Hi there - me again|
Question: Is there a way to access the upper 128K in a 256K GS in P8 &
          BASIC.SYSTEM - say as a 128K /RAM5 device?

If so - is it possible to disconnect the 64K RAM Disk (S3,D2) and use this
memory as usermem in AppleSoft?

Thanx 4 ya help & IIGS support|
KRS

rhood@pro-gsplus.cts.com (Robert Hood) (05/05/91)

> Question: Is there a way to access the upper 128K in a 256K GS in P8 &
>           BASIC.SYSTEM - say as a 128K /RAM5 device?
>
> If so - is it possible to disconnect the 64K RAM Disk (S3,D2) and use
> this memory as usermem in AppleSoft?

Well, I may be able to help.  I'm running a Laser 128EX with 64K main
memory, 64K auxmem, and 512K on an expansion card in slot 5.  ProDOS
automatically sets me up as follows:

S6/D1: internal 5.25" drive
S6/D2: external 5.25" drive
S3/D2: /RAM volume - standard size
S5/D1: /RAM5 volume - 1024 blocks, 7 used

I'd think (but can't say for sure) that ProDOS would either make the GS
/RAM volume bigger than 64K (say, 192K or something) or make a separate
/RAM3 volume in slot 3, drive 1.  It's even thinkable that they'd make that
128K a separate slot 0 device, but unlikely.  Just do an ONLINE call
sometime and see what ProDOS does for you.

As for your second question, that shouldn't be possible, due simply to
architecture concerns.  Auxmem is limited to bank 01 only, because of the
bank-switching techniques used in the //e extended 80-column cards.

Wait - do you mean just disable /RAM and not have to worry about conflicts
with using auxmem for programs?  Disabling /RAM is very possible; Copy II
Plus does/did it all the time.  Any copy of _Beneath Apple ProDOS_ should
tell you how to do that.  However, the memory "freed" by this process is
only available to Applesoft by clever use of soft switches and assembly -
not, I fear, for expanded program length....

Related to this, I have a question for the net:

I have detailed my setup above; note that there are two RAMdisks in the
setup.  When using Appleworks 3.0, I get a 501K desktop.  Upon closer
inspection, I've found that the entire desktop resides in a file that takes
up almost all of the largest RAMdisk on the system - not combining the two
and doing some swapping.

My question is twofold.  First, it is possible to rename the /RAMx volumes
to any name you want.  If I were to rename my /RAM volumes, then put a disk
online with the /RAM name, would AppleWorks run off of that disk?
(Possible advantage, of course, being a truly huge desktop if you have a
hard drive....)  Second, is it possible to get AppleWorks to use ALL of my
RAM - both /RAM and /RAM5?

Also, does anyone know of a way to get Appleworks to segment big files for
multiple disks?
----
ProLine:  rhood@pro-gsplus                 | "Wherever you go...there you are."
Internet: rhood@pro-gsplus.cts.com         |     -- Buckaroo Banzai
UUCP:     crash!pro-gsplus!rhood           | Wanted: An unZIPper for a II!
ARPA:     crash!pro-gsplus!rhood@nosc.mil  | If you have one, let's chat!