[comp.sys.apple2] //c GIF problems

jdeitch@umiami.ir.miami.edu (Jonathan Deitch) (05/04/91)

Ok, I've got a tricky hardware problem that I just can't figure out :

My //c works perfectly fine.  It passes Apple's Apple II Diagnostics v3.0
without error, even when I set it to loop and let it run for a few hours.

When I run IIGIF v1.0, and start to unpack a GIF picture, it gets a few lines
into the picture and then the screen clears and "MMU" appears in the middle
of the screen.  Now I know this is supposed to mean that the MMU is bad, but
nothing I can do can prove the MMU to be bad.  I've even swapped the chip for
a new one and it still goes bonkers.  It's not anything in my system.  I un-
hooked everything and even took my memory card out.  Then I tried four
different versions of ProDOS 8.  Then I tried a different download of the
program.  Nothing works.

Anyone got any ideas ?  I'm fresh out.

thanks,

- Jonathan
Internet : jdeitch@umiami.miami.edu               | "Good musicians execute
------------------------------------------------- |  their music but bad ones
"I'm a Time Lord.  I walk in eternity !" - Dr Who |  murder it !!! "

In article <1991May3.195637.9581@umiami.ir.miami.edu> jdeitch@umiami.ir.miami.edu (Jonathan Deitch) writes:
>Ok, I've got a tricky hardware problem that I just can't figure out :
>
>My //c works perfectly fine.  It passes Apple's Apple II Diagnostics v3.0
>without error, even when I set it to loop and let it run for a few hours.
>
>When I run IIGIF v1.0, and start to unpack a GIF picture, it gets a few lines
>into the picture and then the screen clears and "MMU" appears in the middle
>of the screen. [...]

IIGIF does a bad thing.  It hits a $C02x softswitch that does something useful
on a IIgs, but it does this on a IIc and IIe as well.  This doesn't cause
any problems on a IIe (unless you have a cassette player hooked up), but on
the later IIc computers those addresses switch ROM banks, and the second
ROM bank (totally undocumented) should never be switched in when a ROM call
(or a $Cn00 call) is made.

IIGIF doesn't know this, so after it switches the ROM banks it happily jumps
into the middle of the built-in diagnostics when it thinks it's accessing
a Monitor ROM routine.  Ah, well.

If you can find the offending $C02x access in the program you might be able
to take it out.  Otherwise you'll have to get the author to fix his program.

Matt Deatherage, Developer Technical  | The opinions expressed herein are
Support, Apple Computer, Inc.         | not those of Apple Computer, and
Personal mail only, please.  Thanks.  | shame on you for thinking otherwise.

V2071A@VM.TEMPLE.EDU ("George A. Piotrowski Jr.") (05/04/91)

On 4 May 91 02:12:31 GMT you said:

>IIGIF does a bad thing.  It hits a $C02x softswitch that does something useful
>on a IIgs, but it does this on a IIc and IIe as well.  This doesn't cause
>any problems on a IIe (unless you have a cassette player hooked up), but on
>the later IIc computers those addresses switch ROM banks, and the second
>ROM bank (totally undocumented) should never be switched in when a ROM call
>(or a $Cn00 call) is made.
>
>IIGIF doesn't know this, so after it switches the ROM banks it happily jumps
>into the middle of the built-in diagnostics when it thinks it's accessing
>a Monitor ROM routine.  Ah, well.
>
>If you can find the offending $C02x access in the program you might be able
>to take it out.  Otherwise you'll have to get the author to fix his program.
>
>--
>Matt Deatherage, Developer Technical  | The opinions expressed herein are
>Support, Apple Computer, Inc.         | not those of Apple Computer, and
>Personal mail only, please.  Thanks.  | shame on you for thinking otherwise.

Matt,

Is the diagnostics the only thing in that ROM bank?  Just wondering..
I have seen some mention of Appletalk in the //c and saw your message so I
thought I would ask.  (I mean undocumented, you knew someone would ask:)

Thanks,

George A. Piotrowski, Coordinator     CREN/Bitnet: V2071A@TEMPLEVM
Educational Computing Center       Internet: v2071a@vm.temple.edu
Temple University                  Internet: gap@picasso.ocis.temple.edu
Philadelphia, PA 19122       AOL: GaPio        AppleLink: PIOTROWSKI1
(215) 787-6228               CI$: 74046,1304       Genie: G.PIOTROWSKI

Doc Brown: Obviously, the Time Continuum has been disrupted creating
this New Temporal Event Sequence resulting in this Alternate Reality!
Acknowledge-To: <V2071A@VM.TEMPLE.EDU>

alfter@nevada.edu (SCOTT ALFTER) (05/05/91)

IIGIF does some strange things on my IIe.  Probably the worst problem
is that, once a conversion is done and you're looking at a finished
screen, it toggles the cassette output while you look at the screen.
This would be no problem if I didn't have a speaker hooked up to the
cassette output for playing digitized sounds.  With my current setup,
IIGIF screams while it waits for you to press a key.  This is very
irritating, and I can think of no reason for this behavior.  (Maybe
I'll try to go into the program and kill the code that toggles the
tape output.)

Scott Alfter-----------------------------_/_----------------------------
Call the Skunk Works BBS (702) 896-2676 / v \ 6 PM-6 AM PT 300/1200/2400
Internet: alfter@uns-helios.nevada.edu (    ( Apple II:
   GEnie: S.ALFTER                      \_^_/ the power to be your best!

edwatkeys@pro-sol.cts.com (Ed Watkeys) (05/06/91)

Not that this is going to help you much, but the same thing happens to
me on my IIc...  It's a 3.5 ROM...

Ed Watkeys III

Internet: edwatkeys@pro-sol.cts.com  ProLine:  edwatkeys@pro-sol
UUCP:     crash!pro-sol!edwatkeys    ARPA:     crash!pro-sol!edwatkeys@nosc.mil
BitNET:   edwatkeys%pro-sol.cts.com@nosc.mil

axi0349@isc.rit.edu (A.X. Ivasyuk ) (05/06/91)

I was fortunate enough to catch the author of IIGIF at one of those
electronic CB conferences, I believe it was on either Compu$erve or GEnie.
Anyway, I had the same problem and he told me of a fix.  This was about
two years back.  I believe there is an updated version of IIGIF (1.1?) and
a patch to prevent the C02? error on the //c and stuff.  I got a copy off
APPLE2-L after one of my floppies literally fell apart.  I believe you can
also get it at Apple-supporting FTP archive sites.  Try tybalt.caltech.edu
for one.  If I have time between classes this week, I'll try to upload a
copy to comp.binaries.apple2.

-Anatole

--
Anatoly Ivasyuk @ Computer Science House @ Rochester Institute of Technolgy