[comp.sys.apple2] Windows Applications...

hzink@alchemy.UUCP (Harry K. Zink) (04/29/91)

In article <1061@stewart.UUCP> jerry@polygen.uucp (Jerry Shekhel) writes:
>In article <3386@kluge.fiu.edu> acmfiu@serss0.fiu.edu (ACMFIU) writes:
>>
>>having used windows, apple has nothing to worry about in terms of GUI. windows
>>is the most pathetic interface i've ever seen on any computer.
>>

>What?!  The GUI applications that are appearing right now, like PageMaker 4.0,
>are virtually identical on the Mac and Windows platforms.  What is it about
>Windows that's so pathetic?  This is no flame; I'd really like to know what
>you find so bad about Windows.
>--
>+-------------------+----------------------+---------------------------------+
>| JERRY J. SHEKHEL  | POLYGEN CORPORATION  | When I was young, I had to walk |
>| Drummers do it... | Waltham, MA USA      | to school and back every day -- |
>|    ... In rhythm! | (617) 890-2175       | 20 miles, uphill both ways.     |
>+-------------------+----------------------+---------------------------------+
>|           ...! [ princeton mit-eddie bu sunne ] !polygen!jerry             |
>|                            jerry@polygen.com                               |
>+----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
PageMaker and other applications ported from the Mac environment might operate
almost the same way under windows as they do under the Mac OS, but it seems
obvious that you have never tried to work on one such PC for any significant
time, nor worked in the actual windows environemnt like the Program Manager
(Microsoft's pathetic attempt at a Finder - which it isn't).

It is interesting to note that Windows was supposed to introduce a coherent
and consistent interface, yet even Microsoft applications do not follow that
'standard' among themselves.

Saving in MS-Word : ALT-SHFT-F12
Saving as inMS-Word: ALT-F12

Saving in PageMaker(PC): CTRL-S

Need I say more...

 uucp : ucrmath!alchemy!hzink |     Financial Independence *CAN* be Yours!
 INET : hzink@alchemy.uucp    | 24hr Taped Information Hotline (714) 276-2020
 -----------------------------+------------------------------------------------
 Wesley: "Captain, this doesn't look like the holodeck to me."
   Worf: "Ready to cycle airlock, Captain." Picard: "Make it so."

jerry@polygen.uucp (Jerry Shekhel) (05/06/91)

In article <419@alchemy.UUCP> hzink@alchemy.UUCP (Harry K. Zink) writes:

>PageMaker and other applications ported from the Mac environment might operate
>almost the same way under windows as they do under the Mac OS, but it seems
>obvious that you have never tried to work on one such PC for any significant
>time, nor worked in the actual windows environemnt like the Program Manager
>(Microsoft's pathetic attempt at a Finder - which it isn't).

Actually, I have worked on a PC w/Windows for very significant amounts of
time.  I don't find the applications to be any different (without regard to
minute details) from Mac programs.  The Program Manager is no Finder, but it
isn't meant to be, like you say.  It can't be -- the DOS filesystem has no
provision for associating resources like icons and long names with files.  It
is similar, however, to the iconic desktop managers that are around for UNIX
workstations.  I find it plenty usable.

>It is interesting to note that Windows was supposed to introduce a coherent
>and consistent interface, yet even Microsoft applications do not follow that
>'standard' among themselves.
>
>Saving in MS-Word : ALT-SHFT-F12
>Saving as inMS-Word: ALT-F12
>
>Saving in PageMaker(PC): CTRL-S

PageMaker is not a Microsoft application.  Microsoft can't be held responsible
for quirks in Aldus's software.

>Need I say more...

Please do; you haven't said a thing about why Windows, the environment, is
so bad.
--