[comp.sys.apple2] HD and 5.04 woes

larry@pro-odyssey.cts.com (System Administrator) (05/03/91)

I recently added a hard drive to my IIgs and have come upon a problem that
I am hoping someone can help me with.

I installed 5.0.4 using the installer.

the problem is when I try to run many programs from the HD I get an error
that reads:
            Sorry ProDOS 8 is not a compatable version

one progam for example is Proterm. It will not run as long as I boot from
the HD but works fine if I boot from the proterm disk.

Any ideas, hints, suggestions?
----
ProLine:  larry@pro-odyssey
Internet: larry@pro-odyssey.cts.com
UUCP:     crash!pro-odyssey!larry
ARPA:     crash!pro-odyssey!larry@nosc.mil

PKBRANDON@MSUS1.MSUS.EDU (05/03/91)

This is the old problem of changing versions of the 8-bit Prodos.  System
5.04 contains version 1.9; Proterm was shipped with an earlier version
that's not compatible with System 5.04 GS/OS.  Solution:  copy *P8* from
your HD System 5.04 to the proterm disk and rename it *Prodos*, and/or
copy your programs (but not Prodos) onto your hard drive.

unknown@cats.ucsc.edu (Matt Ackeret) (05/04/91)

In article <8985@crash.cts.com> larry@pro-odyssey.cts.com (System Administrator) writes:
>I recently added a hard drive to my IIgs and have come upon a problem that
>I am hoping someone can help me with.
>I installed 5.0.4 using the installer.
>the problem is when I try to run many programs from the HD I get an error
>that reads:
>            Sorry ProDOS 8 is not a compatable version

	Yeah this is REALLY weird. I even re-downloaded the 5.04 System
Disk and Tools Disk from apple.com to definitely show that this is happen-
ing, but I've not gotten around to re-installing them... (you have to
deal with those DAMN 3.5" floppies... heheheh... Less than a week with
a hard drive and I'm acting like this.. Still takes about 40 seconds to boot
though, almost as much as off of a floppy)

	Just get a copy of PRODOS version 1.8 off of some other disk and rename
it as P8 and copy it over the P8 on the boot disk.
--
/unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu       Apple IIGS Forever!        unknown@cats.ucsc.edu\
|WANT to help get ULTIMA VI //e or GS written?-mail me. CHEAP CD info-mail me.|

philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) (05/04/91)

In article <15363@darkstar.ucsc.edu> unknown@cats.ucsc.edu (Matt Ackeret) writes:
[quotes ProDos ver1.9 problems]

>	Just get a copy of PRODOS version 1.8 off of some other disk and rename
>it as P8 and copy it over the P8 on the boot disk.

Can you do this? I tried, and failed. That is, ProDos ver1.8 won't work with
System5.04, even if you rename it to P8. I'd like to be off base here as a
few programs do seem to be ProDos ver1.9 hostile.

Philip McDunnough
University of Toronto

In article <15363@darkstar.ucsc.edu> unknown@cats.ucsc.edu (Matt Ackeret) writes:
>In article <8985@crash.cts.com> larry@pro-odyssey.cts.com (System Administrator) writes:
>>I installed 5.0.4 using the installer.
>>the problem is when I try to run many programs from the HD I get an error
>>that reads:
>>            Sorry ProDOS 8 is not a compatable version
>
>	Yeah this is REALLY weird. I even re-downloaded the 5.04 System
>Disk and Tools Disk from apple.com to definitely show that this is happen-
>ing, but I've not gotten around to re-installing them... (you have to
>deal with those DAMN 3.5" floppies... heheheh... Less than a week with
>a hard drive and I'm acting like this.. Still takes about 40 seconds to boot
>though, almost as much as off of a floppy)
>
>	Just get a copy of PRODOS version 1.8 off of some other disk and rename
>it as P8 and copy it over the P8 on the boot disk.
>--
There have been so many reports of this problem that I spent some time today
looking at the 5.0.4 on apple.com and examining it.  As far as I can tell
so far, it's exactly correct.  ProDOS 8 v1.9 is included and everything works
as advertised for me.

Now, listen to this part carefully:

IF PRODOS 8 v1.8 WORKS FINE FOR YOU, YOU ARE _NOT_ RUNNING 5.0.3 or 5.0.4.

Something has gone wrong somewhere.  5.0.3 and 5.0.4 require ProDOS 8 version
1.9, which is included.  I'm anxious to know what happens to your system
when you reinstall.

Matt Deatherage, Developer Technical  | The opinions expressed herein are
Support, Apple Computer, Inc.         | not those of Apple Computer, and
Personal mail only, please.  Thanks.  | shame on you for thinking otherwise.

whitewolf@gnh-starport.cts.com (Tae Song) (05/07/91)

|----
|ProLine:  larry@pro-odyssey
|Internet: larry@pro-odyssey.cts.com
|UUCP:     crash!pro-odyssey!larry
|ARPA:     crash!pro-odyssey!larry@nosc.mil

Your problem is very simple.  You require version 1.9 of ProDOS, which resides
under the name P8 in you System folder.
INET: whitewolf@gnh-starport.cts.com
UUCP: crash!gnh-starport!whitewolf
ARPA: crash!gnh-starport!whitewolf@nosc.mil