[comp.sys.apple2] prodos

AUFBV@ACVAX.INRE.ASU.EDU (FERDINAND WILLIAM VELASQUEZ) (04/30/91)

does apple still provide system disk updates?  i was told by every dealer
i called that it wasn't availiable or "what is prodos?"

                                          David Munier

alfter@nevada.edu (SCOTT ALFTER) (05/01/91)

Sounds to me like you were dealing with the typical Mac dealer.
"Duhhh...what's an Apple II?  Is that some new kind of Mac?"

Maybe if they had IQs that were at least equal to their shoe sizes...

Scott Alfter-----------------------------_/_----------------------------
Call the Skunk Works BBS (702) 896-2676 / v \ 6 PM-6 AM 300/1200/2400
Internet: alfter@uns-helios.nevada.edu (    ( Apple II:
   GEnie: S.ALFTER                      \_^_/ the power to be your best!

MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET (05/01/91)

On Mon, 29 Apr 91 23:39:28 MDT FERDINAND WILLIAM VELASQUEZ said:
>does apple still provide system disk updates?  i was told by every dealer
>i called that it wasn't availiable or "what is prodos?"

WHAT?  Man... It's getting REALLY bad now.  Tell your dealer what ProDOS is
and that updates ARE supposed to be provided.

>                                          David Munier

  BITNET--  mquinn@utcvm    <------------send files here
  pro-line-- mquinn@pro-gsplus.cts.com

AUFBV@ACVAX.INRE.ASU.EDU (FERDINAND WILLIAM VELASQUEZ) (05/01/91)

	i DID explain what prodos was to the dealers, but it did not do any
good.  what's even worse is that i had my secretary call apple and ask about
system disk updates and she was told "apple's policy is and has always been
to charge for system disks, all system disks".

					David Munier

btw, i did find one dealer that would provide the update *if i would pay $40*

Andy Tefft <ART100@psuvm.psu.edu> (05/01/91)

Geez. Do you know of any local users' groups? They will probably
be more than happy to give you a copy.

MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET (05/02/91)

On Tue, 30 Apr 91 20:23:12 MDT FERDINAND WILLIAM VELASQUEZ said:
>	i DID explain what prodos was to the dealers, but it did not do any
>good.  what's even worse is that i had my secretary call apple and ask about
>system disk updates and she was told "apple's policy is and has always been
>to charge for system disks, all system disks".

They probably miss-understood the question... OR, the person on the phone
didn't know what they were talking about.  I'm positive that Apple has ALWAYS
allowed (and even encouraged?) dealers to COPY (not give away) disks to
customers, provided they have proof of they're originals.  This means, you
must supply the blank disks for the copies.  The person on the phone probably
thought that your secretary thought they'd give the disks away or something
crazy like that.

>					David Munier
>
>btw, i did find one dealer that would provide the update *if i would pay $40*

DON'T PAY A CENT FOR IT!  Well, if they ask for a penny, I'd pay it.  :)
If you want the manuals and the pretty disk labels, then you need to pay $$

daveharv@pro-novapple.cts.com (Dave Harvey-SysAdmin) (05/08/91)

>does apple still provide system disk updates?  i was told by every dealer
>i called that it wasn't availiable or "what is prodos?"

>                                          David Munier

Try a local Apple Users Group.  Apple distributes system disk updates to most
user groups without charge.

proline: pro-novapple!daveharv                    |
uucp: crash!pnet01!pro-novapple!daveharv          |   Pro-novapple BBS
arpa: crash!pnet01!pro-novapple!daveharv@nosc.mil |  300/1200/2400/9600 Baud
Internet: daveharv@pro-novapple.cts.com           |    703-671-0416

Northern Virginia Apple Users Group               |
P.O. Box 8211, Falls Church, VA 22041             |