[comp.sys.apple2] Apple II hard drives stuff...

hzink@alchemy.UUCP (Harry K. Zink) (04/28/91)

In article <1991Apr18.171854.13367@nntp-server.caltech.edu>
toddpw@nntp-server.c
altech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) writes:
>Harry, you're thinking like an MBA. Computers can do more than suckle from
>hard disks if people would get smart and put REAL utilities in ROM.

I'm sorry, Todd, but even if we had 'real utilities' in ROM (whatever those
might be), they still won't help me from retrieving my precious data from the
hard drive (or floppy drive for that matter), if those functions fail.  It has
nothing to do with people getting 'smart' and such, but rather with looking at
the computer as a tool in a *realistic* fashion.

Any *useable* (#) computer is a symbiosis of storage and processing.  When
either fails, the computer ceises to be a functioning tool and becomes, for all
practical purposes, useless.

Sure, you could hack into your modem with applesoft to connect to your work
computer - only to be lost because you need VT-100 emulation.

Sure, you could type in a quick word processor i basic - only to find yourself
not being able to save it.

Sure, you could use it as a make-shift calculator - only to find that the
pocket one does the job much better.

Remember, computers are not designed for hackers (as you probably are) who can
make dow ith minimum equipment.  98% of the people out there are computer
morons, and/or they use the machine as a tool, not as a passion.  When parts
break that are essential, the tool stops being useful and becomes wasteful.

So, do me a favor, and don't try to create arguments for the sake of arguing,
but give reality some leeway in this as well.

Harry

(#) useable refers to a device that permits the processing of a specific task
in a productive manner.  Having to kludge around to get it to work is NOT
productive in any way!

 uucp : ucrmath!alchemy!hzink |     Financial Independence *CAN* be Yours!
 INET : hzink@alchemy.uucp    | 24hr Taped Information Hotline (714) 276-2020
 -----------------------------+------------------------------------------------
 Wesley: "Captain, this doesn't look like the holodeck to me."
   Worf: "Ready to cycle airlock, Captain." Picard: "Make it so."

toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (04/29/91)

hzink@alchemy.UUCP (Harry K. Zink) writes:

>I'm sorry, Todd, but even if we had 'real utilities' in ROM (whatever those
>might be), they still won't help me from retrieving my precious data from the
>hard drive (or floppy drive for that matter), if those functions fail.

Well, a simple disk recoverer would be a good one to slap in ROM. I am not
claiming that you would be able to continue ALL of your work (come on!), but
it is better to be able to continue SOME of it with the aid of the computer
than NONE of it.

> It has nothing to do with people getting 'smart' and such, but rather with
>looking at the computer as a tool in a *realistic* fashion.

Looking at the computer as a realistic tool IS the 'getting smart' I am talking
about. The idea is to reduce dependency on disk drives, so the machine boots
right away and installs updates and extensions as the drives spin up (if they
are even there).

If you are using a laptop exclusively as a terminal, with no charging power
available, there is no point having the hard drive spinning.  They do have
low power modes, but you still have the current surge as the drive starts up,
and spins up when it is woken.

I admit this is a pretty rare example, so here's a better one:
if your HD system software is corrupted, and you have no fresh copies or other
bootables, you're just as screwed -- unless you have a functional version of
the O/S available from somewhere else (like ROM) and can hold down option or
something to prevent it from mounting volumes so you can selectively install
things until you find the culprit. Try to do this on today's boot-only
machines without a working system disk and you are in deep trouble. I
configure my HD to boot ProDOS 8 first, with a single return booting GS/OS,
for exactly this reason -- when testing things like INITs and drivers it has
proven to be invaluable.

>Any *useable* (#) computer is a symbiosis of storage and processing.  When
>either fails, the computer ceises to be a functioning tool and becomes, for all
>practical purposes, useless.
>(#) useable refers to a device that permits the processing of a specific task
>in a productive manner.  Having to kludge around to get it to work is NOT
>productive in any way!
[ examples of AppleSoft as inadequate for many useful diskless tasks deleted]

I agree with your definition of usable, however I disagree that permanent
(e.g. disk) storage is a requirement given that definition. RAM and ROM are
both storage mechanisms, they just aren't both nonvolatile and writable --
your examples all assume the use of AppleSoft, which is never what I suggested.
What I was getting at was the idea of putting small useful stuff in ROM,
like vt100 emulators, usable text editors, decent calculator and graphing
functions, like notepads, alarm clocks, printing capability, and so on.

>Remember, computers are not designed for hackers (as you probably are) who can
>make dow ith minimum equipment.  98% of the people out there are computer
>morons, and/or they use the machine as a tool, not as a passion.  When parts
>break that are essential, the tool stops being useful and becomes wasteful.

Dammit, my whole point is that computers should be designed so normal people
can also make due with minimal equipment!! The whole system (not just the
hardware and software, but the way they affect how people use computers)
would have to be a lot more robust than it is now, and I don't think the
industry has addressed this adequately yet.

>So, do me a favor, and don't try to create arguments for the sake of arguing,
>but give reality some leeway in this as well.

I am!! You're just assuming I mean AppleSoft, which I am most certainly NOT
although a beginners' language system (hypertalk has been suggested) would be
another good thing to ROMify. What I want in ROM is a stable version of the
O/S kernel, drivers for the built in hardware including RAMdisk, plenty of
useful programs in a ROMdisk, and so on. The GS is halfway there, and could
easily move to this type of scheme although it would be simpler if GS/OS
(and operating systems in general) were as easily patchable as the toolbox.
(Yes, I know that's a radical suggestion for today's O/S's. It isn't necessary
for this to work, but it would be aesthetically nice.)

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

sk2f+@andrew.cmu.edu (Seth D. Kadesh) (04/29/91)

Seth has fun quoting everyone:

toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) writes:
> hzink@alchemy.UUCP (Harry K. Zink) writes:
>
> >I'm sorry, Todd, but even if we had 'real utilities' in ROM (whatever those
> >might be), they still won't help me from retrieving my precious data from the
> >hard drive (or floppy drive for that matter), if those functions fail.
>
> Well, a simple disk recoverer would be a good one to slap in ROM. I am not
> claiming that you would be able to continue ALL of your work (come on!), but
> it is better to be able to continue SOME of it with the aid of the computer
> than NONE of it.
>
> > It has nothing to do with people getting 'smart' and such, but rather with
> >looking at the computer as a tool in a *realistic* fashion.
>
> Looking at the computer as a realistic tool IS the 'getting smart' I am talking
> about. The idea is to reduce dependency on disk drives, so the machine boots
> right away and installs updates and extensions as the drives spin up (if they
> are even there).
>
> If you are using a laptop exclusively as a terminal, with no charging power
> available, there is no point having the hard drive spinning.  They do have
> low power modes, but you still have the current surge as the drive starts up,
> and spins up when it is woken.

[some stuff]

> What I was getting at was the idea of putting small useful stuff in ROM,
> like vt100 emulators, usable text editors, decent calculator and graphing
> functions, like notepads, alarm clocks, printing capability, and so on.

Anyone out there remember a "revolutionary" (my word) device called
the Swyftcard?  It was an expansion card that contained a basic
Appleworks type program in ROM - a word processor (with an amazing
search algorithm), a terminal emulator [note: I could be remembering
this stuff incorrectly - it's been a couple of years]
It was designed by one of the guys who worked on the Macintosh, but
left early on in the development for some reason...
[my memory is truly failing me at the moment, and I hesitate to say
something totally inaccurate]

The point being that this Swyftcard is exactly what Todd is talking
about.  Well, maybe not exactly....
It didn't catch on, as far as I can tell.

Hmmm.  That sounds like an argument against it.
[bear with me - it's 3 am, and I have to microcode a subset of the
Sparc architecture by tomorrow]

> >Remember, computers are not designed for hackers (as you probably are) who ca\
> >make dow ith minimum equipment.  98% of the people out there are computer
> >morons, and/or they use the machine as a tool, not as a passion.  When parts
> >break that are essential, the tool stops being useful and becomes wasteful.
>
> Dammit, my whole point is that computers should be designed so normal people
> can also make due with minimal equipment!! The whole system (not just the
> hardware and software, but the way they affect how people use computers)
> would have to be a lot more robust than it is now, and I don't think the
> industry has addressed this adequately yet.
>
> >So, do me a favor, and don't try to create arguments for the sake of arguing,
> >but give reality some leeway in this as well.

Hey now.  Let's not be nasty.
Todd's made a good point, and I happen to agree with him.

Ok.  I obviously can't be coherent.  I just tried (unsuccesfully) to
say why I agree with Todd.  Maybe I'll try again tomorrow...

-seth                  tHe mAd ScienTisT, and other carnations
-----------------------
sk2f@andrew.cmu.edu   | everything seems so easy this way but I'm going under
tmSatCMU@DRYCAS.BITNET| fast, I'm slipping away, am I so crazy? - Marillion

cshum@tornado.Berkeley.EDU (Chung H. Shum) (04/30/91)

In article <Ec6w9me00WB9IDKXZ0@andrew.cmu.edu> sk2f+@andrew.cmu.edu (Seth D. Kadesh) writes:
>Anyone out there remember a "revolutionary" (my word) device called
>the Swyftcard?  It was an expansion card that contained a basic
>Appleworks type program in ROM - a word processor (with an amazing
>search algorithm), a terminal emulator [note: I could be remembering
>this stuff incorrectly - it's been a couple of years]

Yeah, I remember this thing... they also had a disk-based version called
Swyftdisk.

>It was designed by one of the guys who worked on the Macintosh, but
>left early on in the development for some reason...

I think his name was Jeff Raskin (I remember the old ads in A+ with Raskin
and Woz where Woz says "if I had thought of it, I would have built it in
myself" or something like that).  He later went on to design a dedicated
word processor for Canon (I think) called the Cat (not sure about that
either) that used the "leap" key things that Swyftcard used.

>[my memory is truly failing me at the moment, and I hesitate to say
>something totally inaccurate]
>
>The point being that this Swyftcard is exactly what Todd is talking
>about.  Well, maybe not exactly....
>It didn't catch on, as far as I can tell.

Maybe because AppleWorks came out soon after it?

cshum@ocf.berkeley.edu		"My name is Wu-lung Chen, but my friends
				 just call me Wu-lung Chen."

THROOP@GRIN1.BITNET ("Throop,Henry B") (05/07/91)

> Seth has fun quoting everyone:

> toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) writes:
> hzink@alchemy.UUCP (Harry K. Zink) writes:
>
> >I'm sorry, Todd, but even if we had 'real utilities' in ROM (whatever those
> >might be), they still won't help me from retrieving my precious data from the
> >hard drive (or floppy drive for that matter), if those functions fail.
>
> Well, a simple disk recoverer would be a good one to slap in ROM. I am not
> claiming that you would be able to continue ALL of your work (come on!), but
> it is better to be able to continue SOME of it with the aid of the computer
> than NONE of it.
>
> > It has nothing to do with people getting 'smart' and such, but rather with
> >looking at the computer as a tool in a *realistic* fashion.
>
> Looking at the computer as a realistic tool IS the 'getting smart' I am
 talking
> about. The idea is to reduce dependency on disk drives, so the machine boots
> right away and installs updates and extensions as the drives spin up (if they
> are even there).
>
> If you are using a laptop exclusively as a terminal, with no charging power
> available, there is no point having the hard drive spinning.  They do have
> low power modes, but you still have the current surge as the drive starts up,
> and spins up when it is woken.

>[some stuff]

>> What I was getting at was the idea of putting small useful stuff in ROM,
>> like vt100 emulators, usable text editors, decent calculator and graphing
>> functions, like notepads, alarm clocks, printing capability, and so on.

> Anyone out there remember a "revolutionary" (my word) device called
> the Swyftcard?  It was an expansion card that contained a basic
> Appleworks type program in ROM - a word processor (with an amazing
> search algorithm), a terminal emulator [note: I could be remembering
> this stuff incorrectly - it's been a couple of years]
> It was designed by one of the guys who worked on the Macintosh, but
> left early on in the development for some reason...
> [my memory is truly failing me at the moment, and I hesitate to say
> something totally inaccurate]

> The point being that this Swyftcard is exactly what Todd is talking
> about.  Well, maybe not exactly....

Jef Raskin was the designer of the Swyftcard, back in 1984 or so.  When at
Apple, he was also the original designer of the Mac.  He had envisioned it
as an elegant, easy to use, fast, powerful.  When
Jobs stopped yelling at Raskin for wasting his time on such an idiotic idea
and took it over for himself (Jobs), Raskin says it lost all its original
elagance - couldn't do _anything_ worthwile with the original 128K Mac,
too many bells and whistles, and 'slow as molasses' (Jef's description).
He got disgusted with the whole thing and threatened to leave Apple, Apple
said to 'wait a wekk and we'll make you an offer you can't refuse,' he
waited, they made an offer, and he refused.  He left and formed Information
Appliance, which made the Swyftcard and later Swyftdisk (just a disk) which
were basically what Raskin had envisioned in the first place.  The basic
idea here was elegance - turn on your computer, start typing without
waiting for anything, stick in a disk (doesn't matter if it's formatted or
not), and hit a key to save everything.  Hey, the whole system only had
something like 5 commands (load, save, print...).  The user should not have
to know anything about it; the computer should be treated just as any other
appliance in your basic household.

I don't know how much I agree with this philosophy.  Although of course
there is a place for such simplicity, I think this may be just going a bit
_too_ far, and really limiting for a lot of people.  I don't think Raskin
envisioned the system as being suitable for everybody - there's still a
place for people who use computers and don't have a problem with them as
they are currently, but the Swyftcard was for 'normal' people who didn't
want to know anything about how it all worked.

To a large extent, the Mac has filled this spot, with the interface making
it more accessible than the older-style MS-DOS or II command line.
However, there is still a world of difference between the complexity of the
Mac's interface and that of the Swyftcard.  Also, the Mac has lost much of
its elegance and simplicity by now, compared with both the original 128K Mac
and with the current offerings of Amiga/ST/PC windowing-based systems.

> I don't think it caught on too well.
> Hmmm.  That sounds like an argument against it.

But he did get Woz to pose for the ads and say something like 'If I had
thought of the Swyftcard in 1977, I would have built it in.' :-)

>> >Remember, computers are not designed for hackers (as you probably are) who
>> can
>> >make dow ith minimum equipment.  98% of the people out there are computer
>> >morons, and/or they use the machine as a tool, not as a passion.  When parts
>> >break that are essential, the tool stops being useful and becomes wasteful.
>>
>> Dammit, my whole point is that computers should be designed so normal people
>> can also make due with minimal equipment!! The whole system (not just the
>> hardware and software, but the way they affect how people use computers)
>> would have to be a lot more robust than it is now, and I don't think the
>> industry has addressed this adequately yet.

>Todd's made a good point, and I happen to agree with him.

I don't know.  Ideas are nice, but I don't really see how something like
this could fly.  The percentage of the computer-using population is
steadily growing, and I think most of them can pretty much understand
what's going on.

Incidently, there is a fantastically hilarious interview with Jef Raskin in
_Programmers at Work_, Microsoft/Tempus Press.  This book also has
interviews with a bunch of other important people (Gary Kildall, Dan
Bricklin + the other VisiCalc guy, Andy Hertzfield, Jaron Lanier, etc,
though no Woz or even Jobs...)

>-seth                  tHe mAd ScienTisT, and other carnations
>sk2f@andrew.cmu.edu   | everything seems so easy this way but I'm going under

Henry

--
Henry Throop
THROOP@GRIN1.BITNET

rhyde@musial.ucr.edu (randy hyde) (05/09/91)

>>> But he did get Woz to pose for the ads....

'course, Woz was posing for just about anyone back then :-).