[comp.sys.apple2] GS Telnet

unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu (The Unknown User) (05/04/91)

I mean.

	This will be connected actually to the Internet, but through
Appletalk (Appletalk->ethernet converters inbetween)...

	There are like 6 GSes on campus (mainly used for people
studying to be teachers to see what kinds of software kids use), and I
was mailed a while ago about trying to get these used as terminals..
(FINALLY!! I hyped at them a while ago about trying to do something with
them.. even volunteering a lot of my OWN TIME to just get them to be USED
rather than just sitting unused)..

	They're ROM0s with only 256K, but if/when this GS Telnet ever
happens, I believe I could get 'em to do spend a little bit..
--
/unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu       Apple IIGS Forever!        unknown@cats.ucsc.edu\
|WANT to help get ULTIMA VI //e or GS written?-mail me. CHEAP CD info-mail me.|

marekp@pnet91.cts.com (Marek Pawlowski) (05/05/91)

There isn't much involved in getting telnet written for the GS.  All you need
to write is either TCP/IP or SL/IP (depending on the connection type), and use
telnet through that.  Easy project, I can get on it when I get my GS
(Matthew!).

/* Marek Pawlowski, President, Intelligent Twist Software, 250 Harding  */
/* Blvd., PO BOX 32017, Richmond Hill, Ontario, L4C 9M7, CANADA.        */
/* marekp@gnu.ai.mit.edu, marekp@cerf.net, marekp@pnet91.cts.com,       */
/* marekp@generic.uucp, Voice: (416) 884-4501 4-8pm Toronto time        */
/* "F U cn rd dis U mst Uz Unix" - ericmcg@pnet91.cts.com               */

philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) (05/05/91)

In article <694@generic.UUCP> marekp@pnet91.cts.com (Marek Pawlowski) writes:
>There isn't much involved in getting telnet written for the GS.  All you need
>to write is either TCP/IP or SL/IP (depending on the connection type), and use
>telnet through that.  Easy project.

You can't be serious. Moving the necessary NCSA code over to the GS is
surely not an easy project( but by all means do it!). Since you should
be getting a GS soon, SLIP would be most appreciated. I would like to
connect into my NeXT where they have only recently come out with a
commercial SLIP for the 040 computers. To my knowledge there is no
shareware, freeware,etc...support for SLIP on that platform, and it isn't
that people aren't trying.

Philip McDunnough
philip@utstat.utoronto.ca
[my opinions,...]

dat33228@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Derek A. Taubert) (05/07/91)

In article <694@generic.UUCP> marekp@pnet91.cts.com (Marek Pawlowski) writes:
>There isn't much involved in getting telnet written for the GS.  All you need
>to write is either TCP/IP or SL/IP (depending on the connection type), and use
>telnet through that.  Easy project, I can get on it when I get my GS

HA!  Sure...  Well, I'll just say that it is not going to be easy.  Period.

I've taken a look at the NCSA code (my roomie is now working for them!!) and it
is going to take a lot of work.  I'm in a good position to do it this summer
if I can get ahold of:

1) Time away from my NeXT programming -- consulting job pays good money!
2) Gator box to go between NeXT and IIgs -- and try to fake some TCP/IP stuff
   with the NeXT.

Other than that, I've got the whole summer and nothing else to do but program,
and program, and program, and program....

--
+ Derek Taubert --> derek@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu + Author of : GScii+	      +
+		    dat33228@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu  + and the world's most useless +

marekp@pnet91.cts.com (Marek Pawlowski) (05/07/91)

If you have source code, a nice port should do the job.  I'm not sure how the
GS would handle that, but I'm all for it.  SL/IP is a joke - absolutely EASY
to implement, TCP/IP, a bit harder.   But if you have source code, no problem.

/* Marek Pawlowski, President, Intelligent Twist Software, 250 Harding  */
/* Blvd., PO BOX 32017, Richmond Hill, Ontario, L4C 9M7, CANADA.        */
/* marekp@gnu.ai.mit.edu, marekp@cerf.net, marekp@pnet91.cts.com,       */
/* marekp@generic.uucp, Voice: (416) 884-4501 4-8pm Toronto time        */
/* "F U cn rd dis U mst Uz Unix" - ericmcg@pnet91.cts.com               */

A_MILLSBS@CCSVAX.SFASU.EDU (B. SCOTT MILLS) (05/09/91)

I have seen all the talk about GS TELNET lately...

I WANT   I WANT    I WANT  I WANT  I WANT .....

Anyway if any of you guys out there rae looking to work on it the
source for the MAC version is available at
ZAPHOD.NCSA.UIUC.EDU  via anonymous telnet
or I have the stuffit archives here than I will send to whoever wants them
or I can put it on one of the FTP sites that this group frequents TYBALT???

Anyway  I am not up to the programming task  put I have the source.

Have Fun,

B. Scott Mills                                                Apple // Forever
Student Consultant, Stephen F. Austin State University
a_millsbs@ccsvax.sfasu.edu                      Almost Heaven BBS 409-362-2020
smills@sfaustin.bitnet