[comp.sys.apple2] How Can I Clean a Sticky Keyboard?

giovin@ecs.umass.edu (04/23/91)

	Has anyone ever tried to "clean" their IIGS or Mac keyboard? I
spilled some orange juice on mine and now 4-5 of the keys stick.  I think
using alcohol must be pretty safe but don't really know how I can
get under some of the keys without just pouring the alcohol all over it.

Rocky

whitewolf@gnh-starport.cts.com (Tae Song) (04/29/91)

|        Has anyone ever tried to "clean" their IIGS or Mac keyboard? I
|spilled some orange juice on mine and now 4-5 of the keys stick.  I think
|using alcohol must be pretty safe but don't really know how I can
|get under some of the keys without just pouring the alcohol all over it.
|
|Rocky

Try running the keyboard under hot-tap water... bath, maybe... for about 10
mintues and let dry for several hours.  Or you could use a blow dryer for about
30 minutes.  I've done this, with several electronic boards, that got stuff
spilt on them... ice cream, soda.
INET: whitewolf@gnh-starport.cts.com
UUCP: crash!gnh-starport!whitewolf
ARPA: crash!gnh-starport!whitewolf@nosc.mil

SM3401A@ACAD.DRAKE.EDU (THE MAD ORCHESTRATOR) (04/29/91)

If you really have to get UNDER the keys, then soaking it (without totally
taking it apart) is about the only way to do it.  However, if you have to get
IN-BETWEEN the keys, take your alcohol (or whatever you're gonna use) and get
some Q-tips and go at it.  Soak the Q-tip in the solution and swab away.  Let
it dry and see if that helps any.

						--- Scott McChesney
						--- SM3401A@DRAKE

plucky.duck@pro-midnightex.cts.com (Terry Guelfo) (05/04/91)

|Try running the keyboard under hot-tap water... bath, maybe... for about
|10 minutes and let dry for several hours.

You ARE kidding, right?  Won't this ruin it?  I thought you weren't
supposed to get electronic things wet?

PLine: plucky.duck@pro-midnightex        |"What a torture!  What a delicious
INET:  plucky.duck@pro-midnightex.cts.com| torture, Bateman! Greater than Poe.
UUCP:  crash!pro-midnightex!plucky.duck  | Poe only conceived it; I have done
ARPA:  UUCP + @nosc.mil                  | it, Bateman!  Poe, you are avenged!
                                         |--Dr. Richard Vollin, The Raven/1935

dave@PRC.Unisys.COM (David Lee Matuszek) (05/08/91)

In article <9034@crash.cts.com> plucky.duck@pro-midnightex.cts.com (Terry Guelfo) writes:

>|Try running the keyboard under hot-tap water... bath, maybe... for about
>|10 minutes and let dry for several hours.
>
>You ARE kidding, right?  Won't this ruin it?  I thought you weren't
>supposed to get electronic things wet?

This was discussed extensively on the net a couple of months ago.  The
consensus (as I interpret it) was that tap water is the way to go.
Personally I would strongly prefer a final rinse in distilled water.

Apparently there is nothing on the board that will be physically
harmed by water.  Of course, if it's still even a little damp when you
put current through it, that's another story entirely.  Be sure to dry
it very thoroughly.  I'd suggest a blow dryer set to cool or to very
slightly warm (NOT hot!), then letting it air-dry for another 24 hours.

-- Dave Matuszek (dave@prc.unisys.com)  I don't speak for my employer. --
|   When I was young, my family bought a color TV.  Our neigbors, who   |
| were poorer, had only a black-and-white set.  They bought a piece of  |
| cellophane, red on top, yellow in the middle, and blue on the bottom, |
| and taped it over their screen, so they could claim that they had a   |
| color TV, too.                                                        |
|   Now there's Windows 3.0.                                            |

whitewolf@gnh-starport.cts.com (Tae Song) (05/08/91)

||Try running the keyboard under hot-tap water... bath, maybe... for about
||10 minutes and let dry for several hours.
|
|You ARE kidding, right?  Won't this ruin it?  I thought you weren't
|supposed to get electronic things wet?

Of course, not... on the other hand you put it in the water while the connected
to the GS and the power is on that's a different story... then you'd have a
problem.
INET: whitewolf@gnh-starport.cts.com
UUCP: crash!gnh-starport!whitewolf
ARPA: crash!gnh-starport!whitewolf@nosc.mil

keith@pro-merlin.cts.com (System Administrator) (05/09/91)

  Watch out what kind of acolhol that is used.  Regualar grade that is
available thru drug stores is not recommended for cleaning components.
Technical or Hospital grades are.  They don't leave a white residue on the
board after it dries up.  Even better, use some tape head cleaner.  This is a
spray on alcohol based solution and a cotton applicator.

-- Keith Foster

  Pro-Merlin                   Internet:   Keith@Pro-Merlin
  Post Office Box 161
  Uncasville, Ct  06382-0161   Thames River Apple User Group.
  (203) 848-1151               Connecticut.
  300/1200/2400 baud.