[comp.sys.apple2] Sharing a SCSI HD

v097pba8@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Ken F Morton) (05/04/91)

	Somehow this got posted on comp.binaries.apple2 - I have *no*
idea how...
	Anyway, can a mac and an Apple IIgs share the same HD?

			Thanks...

Ken Morton				"A vacant engineer rides on a
v097pba8@ubvms.Bitnet			 train of thought that will not
v097pba8@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu		 lead him home" - Edie Brickell

unknown@cats.ucsc.edu (Matt Ackeret) (05/04/91)

In article <74719@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> v097pba8@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu writes:

>	Somehow this got posted on comp.binaries.apple2 - I have *no*
>idea how...
>	Anyway, can a mac and an Apple IIgs share the same HD?

	Apparently it can be done, but Apple won't tell us how... heh...

	actually, I've heard it can be done, but it's never really been
documented.. (I was told this by someone who used to work at Apple)
--
/unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu       Apple IIGS Forever!        unknown@cats.ucsc.edu\
|WANT to help get ULTIMA VI //e or GS written?-mail me. CHEAP CD info-mail me.|

In article <15350@darkstar.ucsc.edu> unknown@cats.ucsc.edu (Matt Ackeret) writes:
>>	Anyway, can a mac and an Apple IIgs share the same HD?
>
>	Apparently it can be done, but Apple won't tell us how... heh...
>
>	actually, I've heard it can be done, but it's never really been
>documented.. (I was told this by someone who used to work at Apple)

This always turns into a bloody holy war because everyone (except me) thinks
they know a whole lot about SCSI.  I don't pretend to, but I know my way
around our systems, so let me give it a shot.

The SCSI specs say that SCSI implementations may or may not have more than
one master on the SCSI bus.  Apple chooses not to.  This makes the cost of
some of the SCSI stuff lower since we don't have to include pounds of
SCSI bus arbitration software/hardware/voodoo magic.  This is perfectly legal
within the SCSI spec but really annoys people who want to hook multiple CPUs
to one drive, so they often cite the "you can do this" clause and say Apple
is not following the SCSI spec because we don't do that.  Read it more
carefully, prospective flamers.

So, if you try this, you'll run into bus arbitration problems whenever more
than one of the masters tries to access the drive at the same time.  This is
similar to the old CMS SCSI card (which did kind of support this) problem, which
they solved by telling users to only let one CPU write to any given partition,
and they did hard-partitioning things.  I think.  Remember, I'm not a SCSI
expert and don't play one on TV.

At any rate, you might be able to pull it off for a short period of time, but
unless you always exact extreme care something will eventually go boom.

Matt Deatherage, Developer Technical  | The opinions expressed herein are
Support, Apple Computer, Inc.         | not those of Apple Computer, and
Personal mail only, please.  Thanks.  | shame on you for thinking otherwise.

toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (05/04/91)

mattd@Apple.COM (Matt Deatherage) writes:

No offense, Matt, but I've been wrong on this more often then you :) ...
Here's the Scoop.

>The SCSI specs say that SCSI implementations may or may not have more than
>one master on the SCSI bus.  Apple chooses not to.

Actually, Apple chose not to do it in the Mac SCSI manager ROMs. It is possible
for Mac SCSI drivers to implement arbitration, although most don't. I had that
vehemently pointed out to me by someone who writes those drivers.

The DMA SCSI card ROMs, however, are totally ANSI compliant, including support
for full arbitration. This I learned from Matt Gulick himself face-to-face.

>So, if you try this, you'll run into bus arbitration problems whenever more
>than one of the masters tries to access the drive at the same time.

This is correct. The only way to get around it is to have ALL the bus masters
support arbitration.

So if you want to share a SCSI drive, make sure you have a DMA SCSI and a
Mac with good SCSI drivers installed. Unfortunately, the Mac HD vendors who
write drivers that support arbitration aren't being very vocal about it. The
Mac magazines don't seem to include it in their reviews, either.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

gtolar@xcluud.sccsi.com (Glynne Tolar) (05/07/91)

toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) writes:

> mattd@Apple.COM (Matt Deatherage) writes:
>
> No offense, Matt, but I've been wrong on this more often then you :) ...
> Here's the Scoop.
>
> >The SCSI specs say that SCSI implementations may or may not have more than
> >one master on the SCSI bus.  Apple chooses not to.
>
> Actually, Apple chose not to do it in the Mac SCSI manager ROMs. It is possib
> for Mac SCSI drivers to implement arbitration, although most don't. I had tha
> vehemently pointed out to me by someone who writes those drivers.
>
> The DMA SCSI card ROMs, however, are totally ANSI compliant, including suppor
> for full arbitration. This I learned from Matt Gulick himself face-to-face.
I'll just let my expirence speak for itself and those who want to can judge
if Apple's DMA SCSI card follows ALL the rules.

I've connected two DMA SCSI cards to one Seagate ST-296N.  One card in a
IIgs, the other in a //e.  Additionally I tested it with block reads (verify
disk) in Copy II Plus.  They wasted no time in locking up.  When I keep the
traffic low on the SCSI bus it works most (but not all) the time.  The only
thing I could posibly find wrong, besides the DMA SCSI card MAYBE being
built wrong, is maybe the Seagate should have not been terminated.  By the
way the same results occoured with a DMA and a Rev.C SCSI card.  I plan to
try this again in the future and try a few different things but I better
move
fast.  I'm selling my DMA SCSI because now I have a RamFAST.  Note: I know
the RamFAST card CAN NOT be used in this enviroment.

> Todd Whitesel
> toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

We don't care, we don't have to.  We're Apple computer.
----------------------- OR -----------------------------
Apple II forever.  I just love hearing the company LInE.
   Pick your favorite.             gtolar@xcluud.sccsi.com
I didn't write the organization or path.  I just use it.

toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (05/08/91)

gtolar@xcluud.sccsi.com (Glynne Tolar) writes:

>I've connected two DMA SCSI cards to one Seagate ST-296N.
> They wasted no time in locking up.

First, the Seagate had better not have been terminated. Second, the DMA SCSIs
must be the ends of the chain (that's probably what you did, hooking both into
the two 50-pin connectors on the back of the HD case).

> By the way the same results occoured with a DMA and a Rev.C SCSI card.

The Rev.C ROMs don't arbitrate so that makes sense.

There is one other possibility: the DMA SCSI has terminating resistors built
into it, but it does not supply power to them (what, and toast Apple's wimpy
power supply?). The drive has to do it and I do not know for sure if Seagates
supply terminator power or not. (I know my Quantum does.)

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

whitewolf@gnh-starport.cts.com (Tae Song) (05/09/91)

|        Somehow this got posted on comp.binaries.apple2 - I have *no*
|idea how...
|        Anyway, can a mac and an Apple IIgs share the same HD?

The first thing you'd have to over come is to set one of the computer's SCSI ID
to 6.  I'm sure if that can be done with the Apple rev C SCSI card or the
Mac or the DMA SCSI card, you're half way there.  And don't forget get to set
the HDs ID to 5 or lower.  I haven't tried this nor do have anyway to verify
weather it works or not.  Not setting the IDs correctly might cause the
confusion on the bus.
INET: whitewolf@gnh-starport.cts.com
UUCP: crash!gnh-starport!whitewolf
ARPA: crash!gnh-starport!whitewolf@nosc.mil