[comp.sys.apple2] It still doesn't work. Is it me?

isbell@athena.mit.edu (Charles L Isbell) (05/02/91)

I still can't get GS/OS to recognize my hard drive.

Here's the ongoing SCSI hell:

When I tried to use the SCSI installer included on the SCSI utilities to
install the SCSI drivers, it didn't do anything to let me see the hard
drive, but every time I tried to run an 8bit program it informed me that
Prodos 8 was "not compatible" and forced a reboot.

With an uncorrupted 5.0.4 system, the watch stays on the screen for
a while during the Finder's search for the harddrive (assuming I've copied the
appropriate drivers, of course, without them I get a message telling me
that the SCSI card needs a SCSI driver.).  It appears that the 16 bit stuff
recognizes the partitions, but can't access them at all (I get a list of
the partitions from something like, say, Shrinkit GS, but any attempt to
actually catalog the partitions returns Invalid Device Number).

Strangely, I can launch an 8 bit program like the SCSI Utilities and partition
the drive or Copy II Plus and format the partitions if I wish.  In fact, I
can use Copy II Plus to copy things onto the drive and actually boot 8bit
stuff from it!  It is very, very slow in doing this though.

Anyway, I have:  Transwarp, Sonic Card, OctoRAM memory, and now this SCSI card.
I have all the switches on the card closed (although, I have tried it with
switch one open).  I got the power case from someone and the hardrive itself
is a Rodime 43M.  When I first hooked up the system, I could actually get
one of the partitions to pop up (it was previously owned by a GS user) and
I copied a few files I wanted from it (things I meant to download off the net
one day anyway) and proceeded to re partition the drive.  Now I can't find
any of it (I couldn't find one of the partitions in the first place).  I think
I'm going to scream.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Peace.
           "Love is like a snowmobile rushing across the tundra and then
            suddenly it flips over pinning you underneath.  At night,
            the Ice Weasels come."
                                    -Matt Groening, "Love is Hell"

--
Don't just adopt opinions,    | \  / | Charles Lee Isbell
      develop them.           |  \/  | Homeboy from hell, living axiom and

larry@pro-odyssey.cts.com (System Administrator) (05/04/91)

>I still can't get GS/OS to recognize my hard drive.

>Here's the ongoing SCSI hell:

>When I tried to use the SCSI installer included on the SCSI utilities to
>install the SCSI drivers, it didn't do anything to let me see the hard
>drive.
>Anyway, I have: Transwarp, Sonic Card, OctoRAM memory, and now this SCSIcard.
>I have all the switches on the card closed (although, I have tried it with
>witch one open).  I got the power case from someone and the hardrive itself
>is a Rodime 43M.  When I first hooked up the system, I could actually get
>one of the partitions to pop up (it was previously owned by a GS user) and
>I copied a few files I wanted from it (things I meant to download off the net
>one day anyway) and proceeded to re partition the drive.  Now I can't find
>any of it (I couldn't find one of the partitions in the first place).  I
>think I'm going to scream.

Turn DMA on the APPLE SCSI card OFF and it should work. Leave all the other
switches on. the transwarp / SCSI combination is most likely your problem
with DMA on.

----
ProLine:  larry@pro-odyssey
Internet: larry@pro-odyssey.cts.com
UUCP:     crash!pro-odyssey!larry
ARPA:     crash!pro-odyssey!larry@nosc.mil

whitewolf@gnh-starport.cts.com (Tae Song) (05/07/91)

|Here's the ongoing SCSI hell:
|
|When I tried to use the SCSI installer included on the SCSI utilities to
|install the SCSI drivers, it didn't do anything to let me see the hard
|drive, but every time I tried to run an 8bit program it informed me that
|Prodos 8 was "not compatible" and forced a reboot.
|
|With an uncorrupted 5.0.4 system, the watch stays on the screen for
|a while during the Finder's search for the harddrive (assuming I've copied the
|appropriate drivers, of course, without them I get a message telling me
|that the SCSI card needs a SCSI driver.).  It appears that the 16 bit stuff
|recognizes the partitions, but can't access them at all (I get a list of
|the partitions from something like, say, Shrinkit GS, but any attempt to
|actually catalog the partitions returns Invalid Device Number).
                              [REST DELETED]

Sounds simple enough... get your second system disk with the name /System.Tools
You will in on it a System folder, and within that a Driver folder and within
that SCSI.Manager and SCSI.HD.  You want to copy these to your BOOT disk.

/System.Tools/System/Drivers/SCSI.Manager
                             SCSI.HD

Copy to

/System.Disk/System/Drivers/

Reboot and you should be OK.
INET: whitewolf@gnh-starport.cts.com
UUCP: crash!gnh-starport!whitewolf
ARPA: crash!gnh-starport!whitewolf@nosc.mil

whitewolf@gnh-starport.cts.com (Tae Song) (05/08/91)

|Turn DMA on the APPLE SCSI card OFF and it should work. Leave all the other
|switches on. the transwarp / SCSI combination is most likely your problem
|with DMA on.

I thought the TransWarp GS was DMA compatible?  If he is using an OctRAM memory
card he must be using a GS.

You'd only have a peoblem if you're using a the older TWGS, which isn't fully
DMA compatible and need the PALs replaced.

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (05/11/91)

In article <m0jajfM-0000BVC@jartel.info.com> whitewolf@gnh-starport.cts.com (Tae Song) writes:
>|Turn DMA on the APPLE SCSI card OFF and it should work. Leave all the other
>|switches on. the transwarp / SCSI combination is most likely your problem
>|with DMA on.
>I thought the TransWarp GS was DMA compatible?  If he is using an OctRAM memory
>card he must be using a GS.
>You'd only have a peoblem if you're using a the older TWGS, which isn't fully
>DMA compatible and need the PALs replaced.

We've been over this one before, too.  Summarizing:

You need the TWGS 2B PAL upgrade for DMA compatibility.
You also need the OctoRAM configured with 1MB SIMMs, or else no more
than 4 of the 256KB SIMMs.  8 256KB SIMMs is not a DMA-compatible
configuration for the OctoRAM.  (Technically, 8 1MB SIMMs is also
not a DMA-compatible configuration, but the special hackery in Apple's
High-Speed SCSI Card firmware to avoid DMA to addresses higher than
4MB will prevent a problem, especially if you set aside the upper 4MB
as a RAM disk via the IIGS Control Panel.)