[comp.sys.apple2] Mail order companies

ternlund@mozart.cs.colostate.edu (John Ternlund) (05/09/91)

  So far the remaining recommended mail order companies for the Apple II are:

     LRO Computer sales - 1 vote
     Programs Plus -  1 vote
     Quality Computers - 1 vote

  -any more votes for or against what we have here?
  -any other recommendations?

  Still looking for GSMODEM port code. J. Snow?? Actually, I'm mostly
  interested in HOW it works.  I wish to learn.

--
  :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
     John Ternlund    Senior/Computer Science @ Colorado State University

carnahan@inljeff.den.mmc.com (Rich Carnahan) (05/09/91)

In article <14807@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU>, ternlund@mozart.cs.colostate.edu (John Ternlund) writes:

>   So far the remaining recommended mail order companies for the Apple II are:
>
>      LRO Computer sales - 1 vote
>      Programs Plus -  1 vote
>      Quality Computers - 1 vote
>
>   -any more votes for or against what we have here?
>   -any other recommendations?

My vote's for Roger Coats.  I've ordered a number of things from them
and have yet to be disappointed, either in the product or the service.
I've also had experience with Programs Plus and rate them OK as well.

Rich

--------------> rich <-------------- (carnahan@inljeff.den.mmc.com)

Martin Marietta Astronautics Group
Box 1260
MS XL8058
Denver, Colorado 80201-1260

(303) 971-7981

scotth@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Scott Henderson) (05/10/91)

In article <14807@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU> ternlund@mozart.cs.colostate.edu (John Ternlund) writes:

>  So far the remaining recommended mail order companies for the Apple II are:

I have had experience with all of the places listed below, and I'll give you
my commentary on each of them.

>     LRO Computer sales - 1 vote

Abouttwo months ago, I ordered an Octoram from LRO and was told by the
salesman that the octoram was in stock.  After four weeks, I was told
that the manufacturer had "delivery problems" and I was told that I'd have it
in another week.  A week later I called and they had lost my order.  However,
whethey did finally find it, they sent it to me federal express for the
price of UPS ground.

>     Programs Plus -  1 vote

I ordered an AE 800k drive from these folks and it arrived the next day :-).

>     Quality Computers - 1 vote

I ordered my Kensingtoystem Saver Fan and it arrived three days later.

>  -any more votes for or against what we have here?
>  -any other recommendations?

I guess I'd have to go with either Quality Computers or ograms Plus.  And,
if you order from QC, mention Jawaid Bazyar's name so he can get a $5
purchase credit towards his next order.  :-)

-Scott
>     John Ternlund    Senior/Computer Science @ Colorado State University
>                          Internet: ternlund@mozart.cs.colostate.edu

--
=  R. Scott Henderson		       =   main ()                           =
=  University of Illinois              =   {                                 =

bh1e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Brendan Gallagher Hoar) (05/10/91)

One vote for TMS Peripherals.  They support the II series (my TMS
Pro105 came preformatted with GS/OS).  Their HD prices can't be beat
by any other companies that advertise for the Apple II.

Brendan G. Hoar                      bh1e+@andrew.cmu.edu
Apartment 1                          Carnegie Mellon, Inc.
357 Melwood Ave.
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
(412) 621-8278

daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Dave Huang) (05/10/91)

In article <1991May9.190130.24465@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> scotth@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Scott Henderson) writes:
>In article <14807@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU> ternlund@mozart.cs.colostate.edu (John Ternlund) writes:
>>  So far the remaining recommended mail order companies for the Apple II are:

>>     LRO Computer sales - 1 vote

>Abouttwo months ago, I ordered an Octoram from LRO and was told by the
>salesman that the octoram was in stock.  After four weeks, I was told
>that the manufacturer had "delivery problems" and I was told that I'd have it
>in another week.  A week later I called and they had lost my order.  However,
>whethey did finally find it, they sent it to me federal express for the
>price of UPS ground.

Pretty much the same story here... I ordered a RAMFast, they said that
it was in stock. After about 3 weeks, I called them up and they said
that they weren't in stock at that time, but they'd send it Fed Ex,
which they did. Later, I ordered a GS-Sauce card and got that on time.
Even though they don't seem to be sure whether or not stuff is in
stock or not, I still think they're a pretty good place...

>>     Programs Plus -  1 vote

>I ordered an AE 800k drive from these folks and it arrived the next day :-).

Yup, I ordered a modem and Orca/M from them, and got it the next day.
I'll probably buy software from them, since other places are cheaper
for hardware.

>>     Quality Computers - 1 vote

Never tried them...

--
David Huang                                 |
Internet: daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu          |     "Help! My ganglion is

ericmcg@pnet91.cts.com (Eric Mcgillicuddy) (05/11/91)

One vote for Programs Plus,  I have been dealing with them for 4 years and
have never had any difficulties with them, despite having a couple of returns
(the copy protection on Elite was so heavy it was hit or miss which one would
work on any given machine, but PP replaced it no questions asked)

One vote against Triad  (if they are still in business), never got a return
code for a defective IW II buffer card, had to go to Orange Micro for
replacement.

UUCP: bkj386!pnet91!ericmcg
INET: ericmcg@pnet91.cts.com