[comp.sys.apple2] Appletalk with a ][+

george@endeavor.intel.com (George L. Rachor Jr.) (05/11/91)

I understand the apple ][ appletalk card was only designed for the
Apple ][e.

What prevents this from working in a plus?  Is it lack of memory, or does it
require the 65c02 used in the ][e?

I have an old ][ plus that I wouln't mind linking into my wifes Mac ][ci
under 7.0.  The old machine has plenty of memory (128K Saturn type and
512k slot dependant sitting in slot 2).

Before I try getting ahold of an Appletalk card can someone tell me if
this is really destined to fail?

Thanks,

George

--

George Rachor Jr.
Intel Corporation

In article <1991May10.201106.9255@endeavor.intel.com> george@endeavor.intel.com (George L. Rachor Jr.) writes:
>What prevents this from working in a plus?  Is it lack of memory, or does it
>require the 65c02 used in the ][e?
>
>Thanks,
>
>George

(Historical note:  There was never an "Apple ][e."  It was originally the
"Apple //e" and is now the "Apple IIe."  No Apple II currently has any ][,
// or "2" in the name.  Not that you care, but hey.)

It requires the 65C02 in the enhanced IIe.  It won't work on unenhanced
IIe's, either.  I believe it also messes with the main and auxiliary stack
pointers as necessary, which would make it fundamentally incompatible with
II+ machines even with 65C02 processors.
Matt Deatherage, Developer Technical  | The opinions expressed herein are
Support, Apple Computer, Inc.         | not those of Apple Computer, and
Personal mail only, please.  Thanks.  | shame on you for thinking otherwise.

toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (05/11/91)

mattd@Apple.COM (Matt Deatherage) writes:

>It requires the 65C02 in the enhanced IIe.  It won't work on unenhanced
>IIe's, either.  I believe it also messes with the main and auxiliary stack
>pointers as necessary, which would make it fundamentally incompatible with
>II+ machines even with 65C02 processors.

Hmm. Is there any way to convince one of those suckers to work in a GS, to
offload the packet overhead from the main CPU?

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

In article <1991May11.105154.8607@nntp-server.caltech.edu> toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) writes:

>Hmm. Is there any way to convince one of those suckers to work in a GS, to
>offload the packet overhead from the main CPU?

Yes, but it's not a useful marriage.  It will work, but only does anything if
you boot directly into ProDOS 8.  If you try to use AppleTalk from GS/OS you're
lucky if the card only gets confused or doesn't do anything.

The card only contains the firmware to handle the protocols as described in the
AppleShare Programmer's Guide; it does not work with the IIgs protocols loaded
at boot time from the *:System:Drivers directory.  It won't work with ProDOS 16
or GS/OS, nor any of the AppleTalk-specific parts of the IIgs System Software.

If you just want to boot P8 over a server, though, and never touch any IIgs
specific features, it might work, unless the AppleTalk-using application
identifies the machine as a IIgs and tries to call the IIgs protocol vector.