[comp.sys.apple2] PaintWorks Gold

UCI137@URIACC.URI.EDU (Andy Kress) (07/28/90)

    I know this has been said many time before and I even had it written
 down somewhere, but how does one use PaintWorks Gold with system 5.0.2?
 Now that I have a hard drive I dont want to be booting off the disk because
 it doesnt work with 5.0.2....

                                          Thanks much,
                                                Andy
                                                UCI137 at URIACC

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (07/29/90)

In article <9007272132.AA15047@apple.com> UCI137@URIACC.URI.EDU (Andy Kress) writes:
>    I know this has been said many time before and I even had it written
> down somewhere, but how does one use PaintWorks Gold with system 5.0.2?

Apply Jason Harper's one-byte patch to enable PWG to use memory wherever
it finds it instead of just in low memory.

MQUINN%UTCVM@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU (Cola) (07/29/90)

What is that one-byte patch foor Paint-works gold?

ISSLTC@NUSVM.BITNET (Lim Thye Chean) (05/09/91)

Can anyone kind enough to tell me how to make my PaintWorks Gold work on
the system disk 5.04?

Thanks for any kind response.

                       ** Apple IIGS Forever **

   AN APPLE IIGS LOVER FROM MALAYSIA. AN ISS ENGINEER FROM SINGAPORE.

                      Contact me at ISSLTC@NUSVM

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (05/11/91)

In article <9105090255.AA02389@apple.com> ISSLTC@NUSVM.BITNET (Lim Thye Chean) writes:
>Can anyone kind enough to tell me how to make my PaintWorks Gold work on
>the system disk 5.04?

Yeah -- get the latest version and/or apply Jason Harper's patch for this
(which is downloadable from the major information services).  The patch was
quite simple and if I had it at hand I'd simply post it, but I haven't.

sharris@chopin.udel.edu (Scott A Harris) (05/11/91)

In article <16112@smoke.brl.mil> gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>In article <9105090255.AA02389@apple.com> ISSLTC@NUSVM.BITNET (Lim Thye Chean) writes:
>>Can anyone kind enough to tell me how to make my PaintWorks Gold work on
>>the system disk 5.04?
>
>Yeah -- get the latest version and/or apply Jason Harper's patch for this
>(which is downloadable from the major information services).  The patch was
>quite simple and if I had it at hand I'd simply post it, but I haven't.

I applied the patch but now when I try to print it just spits out
a blank piece of paper (initiates a form-feed).
Any ideas there?
Thanks

Scott

.

--
Scott A. Harris   sharris @ brahms.udel.edu   sharris @ chopin.udel.edu
                 HIO01142 @ udelvm.udel.edu    harris @ freezer.it.udel.edu

In article <17104@chopin.udel.edu> sharris@chopin.udel.edu (Scott A Harris) writes:

>I applied the patch but now when I try to print it just spits out
>a blank piece of paper (initiates a form-feed).
>Any ideas there?
>Thanks
>
>Scott

This is a bug in PWG.  They set up the print record to print in draft mode,
instead of in spool (deferred) mode, and only text prints in draft mode
properly.  The old hacked-to-pieces IW driver allowed this, probably because
it worked in a really old version and couldn't be changed or it broke PWG.

It was not feasible to add this feature to the new 5.0.3+ IW driver, so PWG
won't print with them.  You can patch PWG to use the correct value for the
bjDocLoop value in the job subrecord of the print record, or you can keep
a copy of the 5.0.2 IW driver in your drivers folder to print with.
Matt Deatherage, Developer Technical  | The opinions expressed herein are
Support, Apple Computer, Inc.         | not those of Apple Computer, and
Personal mail only, please.  Thanks.  | shame on you for thinking otherwise.

sharris@chopin.udel.edu (Scott A Harris) (05/12/91)

In article <16130@smoke.brl.mil> gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) writes:

>How much memory do you have?  5.0.4 requires more than earlier releases
>and you may not have enough to use all of PWG's features.

The memory can't be the problem I have 3 Megs.  Everything else seems to
work fine, just can't print anwthing.
Oh well at least you tried.
Thanks

Scott