[comp.sys.apple2] faults with windows 3.0

acmfiu@serss0.fiu.edu (ACMFIU) (05/11/91)

In article <1061@stewart.UUCP> jerry@stewart.UUCP (Jerry Shekhel) writes:
>In article <3386@kluge.fiu.edu> acmfiu@serss0.fiu.edu (ACMFIU) writes:
>>
>>having used windows, apple has nothing to worry about in terms of GUI. windows
>>is the most pathetic interface i've ever seen on any computer.
>>

>What?!  The GUI applications that are appearing right now, like PageMaker 4.0,
>are virtually identical on the Mac and Windows platforms.  What is it about
>Windows that's so pathetic?  This is no flame; I'd really like to know what
>you find so bad about Windows.
>--
>+-------------------+----------------------+---------------------------------+
>| JERRY J. SHEKHEL  | POLYGEN CORPORATION  | When I was young, I had to walk |
>| Drummers do it... | Waltham, MA USA      | to school and back every day -- |
>|    ... In rhythm! | (617) 890-2175       | 20 miles, uphill both ways.     |
>+-------------------+----------------------+---------------------------------+
>|           ...! [ princeton mit-eddie bu sunne ] !polygen!jerry             |
>|                            jerry@polygen.com                               |
>+----------------------------------------------------------------------------+

i have experience with windows on an ibm ps/2 55sx (running an 386sx chip).
here are my faults with windows 3.0:

1.	too slow for the processor it is running on.
2.	it runs on top of DOS. now, since Microsoft wrote DOS, i think this
	to be a fair criticism. and yes, i do know about DOS 5.0. however,
	i won't begin to speculate on what that will do for windows.
3.	keyboard equivalents across applications is not guaranteed. someone
	already pointed this out.
4.	as far as Finder goes for Windows, it just plain stinks. the control
	panel leaves much to be desired.
5.	the hardware overhead necessary to run windows *adequately* is not
	*adequate*. now, this doesn't say much for mac system 7.0 which
	requires, i believe, 2 megs.
6.	i've heard from mac/windows programmers (mac programmers first) that
	the learning curve to move to windows is steep. it took them less
	time to get programming on the mac than under windows. as a matter of
	fact, one magazine (i think computerworld), said that it takes 9+
	months for a C programmer to get reasonably acquainted with windows.
	now, i haven't looked at the stuff windows programmers get (i.e.
	development software), but this does seem kinda hard to believe.
	even though, i tend to believe computer world.
7.	jane secretary can be up and running quicker on a mac than in
	windows. i sure wouldn't want some computer "literate" secretary
	trying to configure windows. by computer "literate" i mean someone
	versed in lotus, wordperfect, etc.
8.	i have heard from desktop publishers on the net, in comp.text.tex
	and comp.text.desktop, that they would rather *not* do desktop
	publishing on the IBM running PageMaker. i've just heard this and,
	since they do it for a living and have used Mac, Sun, etc., i'd tend
	to believe them rather than joe user who sits down for a couple of
	hours and uses PageMaker for some not-so-brilliant stuff.
9.	i don't know about you but when i'm in windows i still think i am
	in DOS, which is not good. the interface does not cover you from
	DOS, which it should. you still have to select a drive letter, for
	instance. while *every* IBM user is familiar with this, a user
	interface should make things easier.
10.	Microsoft owns it.
11.	along the personal line, i just don't think windows is a "graphical
	user interface". now, the *only* interface i'm familiar with are the
	mac and sun (to an extent). i really don't think windows falls into
	this category. the feel to windows is quite different. and the
	difference i don't like. now the difference is probably there because
	microsoft knew apple would sue them but i think open look is much
	better than mac.

albert

ericmcg@pnet91.cts.com (Eric Mcgillicuddy) (05/13/91)

>i have experience with windows on an ibm ps/2 55sx (running an 386sx chip).
>here are my faults with windows 3.0:
>
>albert

I won't quote your points folks that are interested can look back at your
post, but I have a few comments.

1. Runs fine on my 386-33 with 2Meg of memory.  :)

3. The menu has to be down before keyboard equivalents are active. Huh?
4. Windows doesn't haven't a Finder it has a Program manager and a File
Manager. It should have a Finder like thing, PM isn't up to snuff. File
Manager works, but view by Name is the only display option.

6. The paradigm is different from the Mac (and GS), but close enough that most
Mac (and GS) programmers can be up and running in a month or so (probably for
simple stuff). "Hello World" can appear in a window in just a couple days.
7. Jane Secretary doesn't have a hope of installing Windows with a custom
video driver, but I haven't seen any need to, that is what support is for. I
doubt she could install System7 to an unformatted hard drive either, but again
I have to see any that have needed to.
9. DOS is ever present in Windows. (same sh*t, different toilet)
10. Apple owns Finder, what's your point?
11. Windows meets all the unofficial meanings of "GUI", but there is no
standard and it is just a label, like "RISC".

UUCP: bkj386!pnet91!ericmcg
INET: ericmcg@pnet91.cts.com