[comp.sys.apple2] Apple //e emulation on a Mac LC

I saw the //e card running in an LC at a user group meeting Friday evening.
Some copy protected stuff gives it a problem, but otherwise software
from 1980 through present works fine.

1) it WILL work on ALL the monitors supported by the LC (a late fix,
originally it wouldn't work with the Apple 13" RGB - does now).

2) it will emulate up to 1 Mbyte of //e memory (for those AppleWorks
freaqs who want to run the entire Timeout series while editing the
great American novel)

3) No HD support yet, but coming (free upgrade) mid-summer (along with
a cdev that will allow ProDOS disks to be mounted on the Mac desktop similar
to mounting MeSsy DOS disks with AccessPC or DOS Mount).

4) IIgs emulation is being worked on but may be a Loooonnnnngggg time
coming.  One problem is the LC's power budget doesn't allow for a card
as exotic as apparently is required to emulate a IIgs :-(

/s Murph <Sewall%UConnVM.BITNET@YaleVM.YCC.Yale.Edu>    BITNET/Internet
         ...!bitnet!uconnvm!sewall                      UUCP
 + Standard disclaimer applies ("The opinions expressed are my own" etc.)

sb@pnet91.cts.com (Stephen Brown) (05/13/91)

SEWALL@UCONNVM.BITNET (Murph Sewall) writes:
>I saw the //e card running in an LC at a user group meeting Friday evening.
>Some copy protected stuff gives it a problem, but otherwise software
>from 1980 through present works fine.

My observations of this card:

There are subtle incompatibilities. I don't have a list here, but I do recall
that Choplifter does strange things, after 16 men. There are numerous other
problems.

In screen I/O intensive programs, I have determined that the LC is 0.5 to 0.7
times as fast as a IIe (in 1 Mhz mode) and 0.7 to 1.1 times as fast as a IIe
(in 2 Mhz mode).

Frankly, for $400 (CDN) I'd rather have a IIe (hey, who said I wasn't biased?)

| Stephen Brown                           Toronto, Canada |
| Internet: sb@pnet91.cts.com      UUCP: utzoo!pnet91!sb  |
| Apple II Forever !!!                                    |
| Like my new .signature. ?    Too bad.                   |