[comp.sys.apple2] 3200 color pics

crew@pro-harvest.cts.com (Chris Wicklein) (08/05/90)

   Would someone please upload some French Underground Crackers Klan 3200
color pictures and the nessary viewer to .binaries?
 ________________________                          _________________________
|                         ProLine: crew@pro-harvest                         |
|                    Internet: crew@pro-harvest.cts.com                     |
|                       UUCP: crash!pro-harvest!crew                        |
|                  ARPA: crash!pro-harvest!crew@nosc.mil                    |
|_______________ BITNET: crew%pro-harvest.cts.com@nosc.mil _________________|

rond@pro-grouch.cts.com (Ron Dippold) (08/05/90)

> Would someone please upload some French Underground Crackers Klan 3200
> color pictures and the nessary viewer to .binaries?

It was pointed out to me that they have changed their name....  But I am the
one with the disk (I've ftped it to a few people).

The problem is that it is over 1400 blocks when _packed_, and this would be
incredibly huge to BINSCII.  If you have FTP access, we could perhaps set up a
way for you to binary download the file.

UUCP: crash!pro-grouch!rond
ARPA: crash!pro-grouch!rond@nosc.mil
INET: rond@pro-grouch.cts.com

macausla@newton.ccs.tuns.ca (Robert MacAusland) (08/10/90)

Where can one find some of these pictures?

--
/* Robert MacAusland -> macausla@newton.ccs.tuns.ca */

toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (08/10/90)

macausla@newton.ccs.tuns.ca (Robert MacAusland) writes:

>Where can one find some of these pictures?

At Tybalt.Caltech.Edu [131.215.139.100], anonymous FTP directory pub/apple2.

I am in charge of the pub/apple2 directory.

And I intend to make it THE 3200 color and SoundSmith site.

Everyone who has pictures, please either post them to comp.binaries.apple2
or FTP them to pub/apple2/uploads on Tybalt.

I now have the French 3200 Slides #1 (Thanks again to the kind soul who sent
me that -- sorry I forgot your name but my mail was purged somewhat abruptly
and I lost a lot of correspondence). They are available for FTP as a binary
image of a Shrunk disk -- how many of you want it on comp.binaries? It is way
too big to be posted in its entirety, so if you can live without the
self-booting part I could eventually pack and post each picture seperately.

How many of you could use a P8 version of view3200? I bet I could write and
debug one in less than a week. (Famous last words, eh? It's a lot easier to
write than a decent GIF viewer, I'll tell you that!!)

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) (08/10/90)

In article <1990Aug9.231144.28170@laguna.ccsf.caltech.edu> toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) writes:
>macausla@newton.ccs.tuns.ca (Robert MacAusland) writes:
>
>>Where can one find some of these pictures?
>
>At Tybalt.Caltech.Edu [131.215.139.100], anonymous FTP directory pub/apple2.
>
>I am in charge of the pub/apple2 directory.
>
>And I intend to make it THE 3200 color and SoundSmith site.

That's really great news. Now could you store the files in some format
other than tar! It's really a pain extracting them. Is there a tar
extractor(even the "x" function of tar seems to be giving me problems)
native to the GS?

The other issue is the question of standards. They seem to be multiplying
in both the graphics and sound areas. Does anyone have a simply conversion
program to deal with these. For example, SoundSmith does not seem to use
the Apple sound format, as found in synthLab or even AIFF(which the Audio
Animator calls Apple's sound format- the AA can store sounds in that format
and HyperStudio will recognize them, but SoundSmith is off in another
direction!

Finally, are there any "less modern" pieces for SoundSmith. While the
program is very nice, the music is a bit wierd to these old ears!

Philip McDunnough
University of Toronto
philip@utstat.toronto.edu
[my opinions]

philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) writes:

>That's really great news. Now could you store the files in some format
>other than tar! It's really a pain extracting them. Is there a tar
>extractor(even the "x" function of tar seems to be giving me problems)
>native to the GS?

1. unless you have to mail them, you don't need to extract the tar files. I
	THOUGHT I made it clear in the README that BinSCII could read past the
	tar formatting and extract directly from the tar file.
2. I believe sombody mentioned they were going to be releasing a port of GNUtar
	in a week or so. I could find quite a few uses for that.

>The other issue is the question of standards. They seem to be multiplying
>in both the graphics and sound areas. Does anyone have a simply conversion
>program to deal with these. For example, SoundSmith does not seem to use
>the Apple sound format, as found in synthLab or even AIFF(which the Audio
>Animator calls Apple's sound format- the AA can store sounds in that format
>and HyperStudio will recognize them, but SoundSmith is off in another
>direction!

Apple has defined TWO sound formats: AIFF (intended for sampled sounds) and
ASIF (intended for DOC instruments). SoundSmith uses ASIF.

SynthLab unfortunately does not even support importing of ASIF instruments --
a large negative from my point of view as I positively _hate_ some of the lame
sounding (and noisy!) instruments that are on the SynthLab beta disk.

>Finally, are there any "less modern" pieces for SoundSmith. While the
>program is very nice, the music is a bit wierd to these old ears!

Wish I could help you there... SoundSmith does not appear to be capable of
supporting sustained waveforms, a real negative when you are trying to write
a soft piece.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

rond@pro-grouch.cts.com (Ron Dippold) (08/11/90)

> I now have the French 3200 Slides #1 (Thanks again to the kind soul
> who sent me that -- sorry I forgot your name but my mail was purged
> somewhat abruptly and I lost a lot of correspondence).

That was me <ahem!>

UUCP: crash!pro-grouch!rond
ARPA: crash!pro-grouch!rond@nosc.mil
INET: rond@pro-grouch.cts.com

acmfiu@serss0.fiu.edu (ACMFIU) (05/14/91)

i'd like to include a picture as the backdrop to a program. i know i can
do this with $C1 pics (standard 640-mode pictures). can i do the same
with 3200 color pics (i.e. just load in the data and move it to the
SHR screen)?

if the answer to above is no, then how would i display the pics?

albert

gt0t+@andrew.cmu.edu (Gregory Ross Thompson) (05/14/91)

acmfiu@serss0.fiu.edu (ACMFIU) writes:
> i'd like to include a picture as the backdrop to a program. i know i can
> do this with $C1 pics (standard 640-mode pictures). can i do the same
> with 3200 color pics (i.e. just load in the data and move it to the
> SHR screen)?

  How do you propose to update the pallettes for the picture if it's
going to be used as a background?  I think it'd be pretty impossible.
Besides, how are you planning on putting windows on top of a 3200
color pic?  For each scan line, you'd have to figure out which color
was white, and which was black (assuming white & black exist on that
line) and set the window to use those colors...  Hell, it'd never
work.

  Besides, you'd be limited to 320 mode...

> if the answer to above is no, then how would i display the pics?

  The answer is no...  How would you display a 3200 color pic?
Simple, just watch the vertical beam counter, and swap in the
pallettes as the beam moves from line to line...

> albert

		-Greg T.
		 InterNet: gt0t+@andrew.cmu.edu
		 BITNet  : R746GT0T@CMCCVB