[comp.sys.apple2] Dos 3.3 file copier needed

prophet@oxy.edu (Dale Bruce LaFountain) (05/11/91)

Howdy.	I just downloaded Amdos from the binaries, and proceeded to make
a 3.5 disk with two 400k partitions.  Then I realized that I don't have
any Dos 3.3-based copy programs here.  I have Copy II Plus v8.3 and v9.0,
but neither of them recognize my Amdos disk as being a Dos3.3 hybrid.

Does anyone have or information leading me to a shareware file copier in
Dos 3.3?  I know that I can probably use BLOAD and BSAVE etc. to move the
files, but a copier would make my life much easier.

I have checked out most of the popular ftp sites, but I didn't find
anything that looked helpful.

Thanks for any info in advance,

Dale LaFountain
prophet@cub.oxy.edu
prophet@oxy.edu

In art <166433@tiger.oxy.edu> prophet@oxy.edu (Dale Bruce LaFountain) writes:
>Howdy.	I just downloaded Amdos from the binaries, and proceeded to make
>a 3.5 disk with two 400k partitions.  Then I realized that I don't have
>any Dos 3.3-based copy programs here.  I have Copy II Plus v8.3 and v9.0,
>but neither of them recognize my Amdos disk as being a Dos3.3 hybrid.

	I realize this does not answer your question, but it may provide
you help in getting files copied to a DOS 3.3 clone on 3.5" drives.

	UniDOS, which I believe is provided with ProSEL, does the same
thing that AMdos does. It also comes with a specially modified FID
(FUD?) that copies from regular DOS 3.3 disks to the UniDOS partitions.
UniDOS is by Glen Bredon as you can probably tell from my reference to
ProSEL.
--
/unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu       Apple IIGS Forever!        unknown@cats.ucsc.edu\
|WANT to help get ULTIMA VI //e or GS written?-mail me. CHEAP CD info-mail me.|

daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Dave Huang) (05/13/91)

In article <15684@darkstar.ucsc.edu> unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:
>UniDOS is by Glen Bredon as you can probably tell from my reference to
>ProSEL.

I think DOS Master is by Glen Bredon, and Mindcraft (Nibble Magazine)
publishes UniDOS... Don't the docs for AmDos have instructions for
patching FID?

>/unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu       Apple IIGS Forever!        unknown@cats.ucsc.edu\
>|WANT to help get ULTIMA VI //e or GS written?-mail me. CHEAP CD info-mail me.|
>\                    It's a Late Night World.... Of Love                     /

--
David Huang                                 |
Internet: daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu          |     "Help! My ganglion is

ART100@psuvm.psu.edu (Andy Tefft) (05/13/91)

In article <48875@ut-emx.uucp>, daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Dave Huang) says:

>In article <15684@darkstar.ucsc.edu> unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User)
>writes:

>Don't the docs for AmDos have instructions for
>patching FID?

Yep, and they seem to work (boy, hard to get used to using that                \
FID thing... :-)), but this won't help the original poster
much at all if he doesn't have FID in the first place.                         |

The problem here is FID is pretty much essential in this case,
since dos 3.3 is missing some of the useful file-handling capabilities
of prodos that would make writing a copy program a non-difficult
task (i.e. mli calls or the B and T parameters) and copy II+
and similar programs don't recognize a 3.5" disk with AMDOS on it.

One could probably find a copy of FID (or possibly some other dos 3.3
file copying program) or even an entire dos 3.3 system master in
the ancient part of a user group's library. The legality of giving
out copies of dos 3.3 system software is a question, though.

In article <91133.102017ART100@psuvm.psu.edu> ART100@psuvm.psu.edu (Andy Tefft) writes:
>Yep, and they seem to work (boy, hard to get used to using that
>FID thing... :-)), but this won't help the original poster
>much at all if he doesn't have FID in the first place.

Ah, I was assuming that if you need AmDOS, you've got DOS 3.3 (and the
associated utilities). After all, why go back to DOS 3.3 when you're
already using ProDOS? :-)
--

Andy Tefft <ART100@psuvm.psu.edu> (05/14/91)

In article <48914@ut-emx.uucp>, daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Dave Huang) says:

>Ah, I was assuming that if you need AmDOS, you've got DOS 3.3 (and the
>associated utilities). After all, why go back to DOS 3.3 when you're
>already using ProDOS? :-)

Well, I suppose a reasonable situation would be someone who
bought their first Apple sometime around the birth of the //c,
it came with prodos, but they still acquired some dos 3.3 disks
(Prodos didn't exactly take over all at once), just no system master.
Not too hard to imagine..

In article <91133.102017ART100@psuvm.psu.edu> ART100@psuvm.psu.edu (Andy Tefft) writes:
>One could probably find a copy of FID (or possibly some other dos 3.3
>file copying program) or even an entire dos 3.3 system master in
>the ancient part of a user group's library. The legality of giving
>out copies of dos 3.3 system software is a question, though.

	You mean everyone doesn't still have a Dos 3.3 System Master
disk?

<mumble mumble>

	Oh, you say there are people who started using the computer after
ProDOS was invented?

	You younguns really have it easy... When I was little, we
had to boot DOS 3.3 off of piddly little 140K disks.. in the snow..
in our bare feet... Oh.. ugg.. that's a different story...

	heh heh hehh..

(Now someone's going to reply and talk about using punch cards, huh??)
--

In article <48914@ut-emx.uucp> daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Dave Huang) writes:
>Ah, I was assuming that if you need AmDOS, you've got DOS 3.3 (and the
>associated utilities). After all, why go back to DOS 3.3 when you're
>already using ProDOS? :-)

	Yeah I know you're joking..  But despite the many cool things
that'll only run under DOS 3.3, I always liked DOS 3.3's less stringent
filename rules.  Big long names with spaces and such.
--
/unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu       Apple IIGS Forever!        unknown@cats.ucsc.edu\
|WANT to help get ULTIMA VI //e or GS written?-mail me. CHEAP CD info-mail me.|
\                    It's a Late Night World.... Of Love                     /

george@endeavor.intel.com (George L. Rachor Jr.) (05/14/91)

Some of use didn't even have drives to boot with...
I had my Apple ][ plus 3 years before getting a disk drive.

Now before somebody says it I did my share of toggling in code from the
monitor or front
panel.  The cassette interface was wonderful!

George Rachor Jr.
Intel Corporation
Hillsboro, OR  97124
george@endeavor.hf.intel.com

tsang@sturgeon.cs.washington.edu (Donald Tsang) (05/14/91)

In article <> unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:
>In article <> ART100@psuvm.psu.edu (Andy Tefft) writes:
>>One could probably find a copy of FID (or possibly some other dos 3.3
>>file copying program) or even an entire dos 3.3 system master in
>>the ancient part of a user group's library. The legality of giving
>>out copies of dos 3.3 system software is a question, though.
>
>You mean everyone doesn't still have a Dos 3.3 System Master disk?
>[stuff deleted]
>	You younguns really have it easy... When I was little, we
>had to boot DOS 3.3 off of piddly little 140K disks.. in the snow..
>in our bare feet... Oh.. ugg.. that's a different story...
>(Now someone's going to reply and talk about using punch cards, huh??)

------------------------- begin reminiscence --------------------------

Not quite... but DOS 3.2, where there were 13 and not 16 sectors per
track.  114K disks.  And we had Apple II's, not Apple II+'s, and we
were lucky because most of them had Applesoft cards and a respectable
32K.  Some of them even had the full 48K on the motherboard.

Then we (the Junior High school) got this neat Apple II+, with a
Language Card and DOS 3.3 capability (anyone remember the BOOT13
program, or the BASICS disk?), along with UCSD P-Code PASCAL!  And
a whopping 64K of RAM, more than any other computer we had!

We dreamed of having Apple ///'s, with dual 6502's, and SOS, with
PASCAL and Business BASIC, as well as Applesoft and Integer BASIC in
Apple II(+) Emulation Mode.  And a neat box, with a drive and extended
keyboard built in.

In those days, 5.25" disks cost $5 each at Computerland, with
student discount, and I had *two* of them (one side of one of them was
DOS 3.3, and had the apple-16 sticker on it).

Ah, those were the days... when games like Alien Typhoon were hot...

-------------------------- end reminiscence ---------------------------
------------------------- begin useful stuff --------------------------

But ya know... Copy II Plus and the //e, //c, and //gs System Utilities
have DOS 3.3 capability.  Additionally, the Apple products can read
UCSD P-System files, so you can edit your old Wizardry files...

If you still have DOS 3.2 files, though, you need MUFFIN from the old
DOS 3.3 System Master disk, or Copy II Plus, Version 4.2 or earlier.

  Donald Tsang
  tsang@cs.washington.edu

Andy Tefft <ART100@psuvm.psu.edu> (05/14/91)

In article <1991May13.233011.26732@beaver.cs.washington.edu>,
tsang@sturgeon.cs.washington.edu (Donald Tsang) says:

>If you still have DOS 3.2 files, though, you need MUFFIN from the old
>DOS 3.3 System Master disk, or Copy II Plus, Version 4.2 or earlier.

I had/have a disk that called itself 'dos 3.3.2' which was really
neat in that you could switch between dos 3.3 and 3.2 with an
ampersand command from applesoft. Easier for converting basic
programs!