[comp.sys.apple2] Comm between two computers?

KMILES@AARDVARK.UCS.UOKNOR.EDU ("Kurt W. Miles 329-7303", 405) (05/10/91)

Ok gurus.  I have a question.  I have two computers at home. Both have internal
modems.  I currently have the line go from the phonme jack on the wall tothe
modem jack on computer 1, out the phone jack on computer 1 to the modem jack on
computer 2, and out the phone jack on computer 2 to a phone.  All works well.
Compuiter 1 has priority on the phone.  When C1 isn't on the phone, C2 can use
it.  Third in lin is the phone proper (which is just as well 'cause the dialer
on the phone doesn't work, anyway).

Here is the question:
How can I make computer 1 and computer 2 talk to each other via modem?  I have
tried running the phone line from modem to modem, but they only whistle at each
other, and never answer.  I have tried all the ideas I could come up with (ATA
and ATO, ATA and ATA, etc), but I am stumped.

HELP!!

Thanks a lot.

Kurt
              . . . . . Greyman ------->   and the   <-----------DRAGON . . .
                                                                 (AMHD)
      Remember... Sometimes the DRAGON wins!!!      "Oh, goody.  Breakfast!"
                                ------
kmiles@uokucsvx (bitnet)            kmiles@aardvark.ucs.uoknor.edu  (internet)

gh1w+@andrew.cmu.edu (Gregory A. Haverkamp) (05/11/91)

KMILES@AARDVARK.UCS.UOKNOR.EDU ("Kurt W. Miles  329-7303", 405) writes:

Here is the question:
How can I make computer 1 and computer 2 talk to each other via modem?  I have
tried running the phone line from modem to modem, but they only whistle at each
other, and never answer.  I have tried all the ideas I could come up with (ATA
and ATO, ATA and ATA, etc), but I am stumped.
<<

Kurt, here's what I think you're problem is: you have to convince the
modems that they are actually on a phone line - I've seen this problem
before doing some programming of modem-playable games.

First, and I don't know how legal this is, try to find a loop in your
area.  They usually hang around the end of the telephone prefixes and
have numbers such as 9898 and 9899.  I don't remember the specifics
anymore (it has been a long time since the days I cared), but one is a
closed end, the other is the open end.  One of these will emit a high
frequency tone, the other will remain silent.  Using the silent end,
simply call this number, and both modems will think they're online to
another modem (they're not overly bright).  Connect them at this point.
You'll need something like a y-jack to do this.  Plug it into the outlet
and the modems into either socket of the y-jack.

Second, and let me see if I can remember how we pulled this off, hook
the two up in the way described above.  Now, if you take the phone off
the hook (either modem should be able to do this with this connection),
most phone systems will start giving that obnoxious reorder signal.
However, after several minutes (5 to 10 or less, as I recall), the line
will just sit quiet.  As far as the modems will know, they will be
connected to another modem across the country.

Hope this helps.

Greg

gh1w@andrew.cmu.edu

ag0514@csc.albany.edu (Andy Goldstein) (05/11/91)

In article <9105100201.AA16988@apple.com> KMILES@AARDVARK.UCS.UOKNOR.EDU ("Kurt W. Miles  329-7303", 405) writes:

To get two modems to communicate together, without using the actual phone line:

Disconnect the line from the wall socket to computer.  On one computer, in
terminal mode type ATX3 D (will wait for answer even without dial tone), on
the other computer in terminal mode type ATA.  This should work, I do it all
the time between my IIgs and my roomates Amiga.
Andy Goldstein
Internet: ag0514@leah.albany.edu
  Bitnet: ag0514@albny1vx.bitnet
America Online: GOLDSTEIN

Peter.G.Wilding@dartmouth.edu (Peter G. Wilding) (05/15/91)

In article <AG0514.91May10134842@eve.albany.edu>
ag0514@csc.albany.edu (Andy Goldstein) writes:

> Disconnect the line from the wall socket to computer.  On one computer, in
> terminal mode type ATX3 D (will wait for answer even without dial tone), on
> the other computer in terminal mode type ATA.  This should work, I do it all
> the time between my IIgs and my roomates Amiga.

yea, you don't need a phone line for direct connect access.  Take the
modem port cable from the first GS and plug it into the modem port on
the second GS.  Boot up proterm on both ends, select GS Modem PORT, and
voila!  19200 baud transfers.
DISCLAIMER! I DON'T KNOW IF THIS WORKS.  MY FRIEND SAYS IT DOES, BUT I
MIGHT BE WRONG ON ONE OR TWO OF THE DETAILS.