[comp.sys.apple2] where is all the IIgs software?

acmfiu@serss0.fiu.edu (ACMFIU) (05/08/91)

for those of you programmers who are asking, "Where is all the IIgs software?",
i would like you to list all the programs you have developed that are IIgs
specific to date. i don't want any "in the works" programs. i want stuff done
or in .7+ beta releases.

stop the complaining and get to work. the system software group has given
us all the tools, in my opinion, that is needed to do what we want. i find
it hard to ask for more when we haven't even "maxed" out the current set of
tools that are available to us. at least i know i haven't and don't plan on
*any* time soon.

there are things i don't like. but there are facilities for me to change
it to the way i want or facilities to make what i want. that's all i need.
remember the apple II days when you had to make everything yourself. let's
not get out of that habit.

albert

dat33228@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Derek A. Taubert) (05/11/91)

In article <3523@kluge.fiu.edu> acmfiu@serss0.fiu.edu (ACMFIU) writes:
>for those of you programmers who are asking, "Where is all the IIgs software?",
>i would like you to list all the programs you have developed that are IIgs
>specific to date. i don't want any "in the works" programs. i want stuff done
>or in .7+ beta releases.

I agree totally, I'm sick of the, "I'd really like to see xxx, but don't have
the time to do it."  It's not that I don't like suggestions, I love things to
keep me busy (I've got enough for now, thanx), but I don't want to hear
complaints from anyone who hasn't done code himself.  Suggestions are fine,
complaints to /dev/null.

>stop the complaining and get to work. the system software group has given
>us all the tools, in my opinion, that is needed to do what we want. i find
>it hard to ask for more when we haven't even "maxed" out the current set of
>tools that are available to us. at least i know i haven't and don't plan on
>*any* time soon.

I second the motion.

--
+ Derek Taubert --> derek@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu + Author of : GScii+	      +
+		    dat33228@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu  + and the world's most useless +

MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET (05/11/91)

On Fri, 10 May 91 20:27:52 GMT <info-apple-request@APPLE.COM> said:
>In article <3523@kluge.fiu.edu> acmfiu@serss0.fiu.edu (ACMFIU) writes:
>>for those of you programmers who are asking, "Where is all the IIgs
>software?",
>>i would like you to list all the programs you have developed that are IIgs
>>specific to date. i don't want any "in the works" programs. i want stuff done
>>or in .7+ beta releases.

So, what you're basically saying is, if we don't know how to program, then
we have a right to complain, but for those of us who have taken the time
and effort to learn how to program don't have a right to complain if we
haven't made any programs, regardless of whether or not we hold two jobs
AND go to school at the same time, while spending ALL of our free time
on the computer, learning all we can and programming?

>I agree totally, I'm sick of the, "I'd really like to see xxx, but don't have
>the time to do it."

Then, just what the $#@! do you expect us to do if we don't have the time?????
I'm sorry that you're sick of hearing it, but there's just not much that we
can do about it.  If you have some suggestions to give me some more time to
program, I'd gladly accept them!

>                     It's not that I don't like suggestions, I love things to
>keep me busy (I've got enough for now, thanx), but I don't want to hear
>complaints from anyone who hasn't done code himself.  Suggestions are fine,
>complaints to /dev/null.

I really don't understand your point.  We pay bongo bucks for our system,
and all the software developers have all but split because of Apple
(I'm NOT talking about DTS, but MANAGEMENT) won't support the computer
half as much as they do the mac.  -I'm- not a software company.  -I- don't
have a limitless amount of money to spend on development equipment, nor do
I have an infinite amount of time to program.

>>stop the complaining and get to work. the system software group has given
>>us all the tools, in my opinion, that is needed to do what we want. i find
>>it hard to ask for more when we haven't even "maxed" out the current set of
>>tools that are available to us. at least i know i haven't and don't plan on
>>*any* time soon.

I take it from this statement that your assuming we want APPLE to produce
more software?  Better system software is always accepted by me, but I'm
not complaining about lack of system software, nor do I see many (if ANY)
complaining about it.

...and as for the .7+ beta comment, why that number?  Doesn't 'in-progress'
count for anything?  It has to be in that stage before it can get to .7+ beta
you know.  I'm spending all my time on a new program, but it isn't even in the
alpha .01 stage yet, but I'm completely devoted to it and will not stop until
it is done.

  BITNET--  mquinn@utcvm    <------------send files here
  pro-line-- mquinn@pro-gsplus.cts.com

Peter.G.Wilding@dartmouth.edu (Peter G. Wilding) (05/15/91)

In article <9105111711.AA07693@apple.com>
MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET writes:

> We pay bongo bucks for our system,
> and all the software developers have all but split because of Apple
> (I'm NOT talking about DTS, but MANAGEMENT) won't support the computer
> half as much as they do the mac.

The stuff that annoys me is like what happened to Sowrd of Sodan.  They
spend 1 million bucks to develop it, come out with ** 3 ** functioning
demos, and then bag the whole project!  It's this kind of follow
through which is making the Apple II software scene the pits!

jpenne@ee.ualberta.ca (Jerry Penner) (05/15/91)

In article <1991May15.020657.21331@dartvax.dartmouth.edu> Peter.G.Wilding@dartmouth.edu (Peter G. Wilding) writes:
>In article <9105111711.AA07693@apple.com>
>MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET writes:

[ stuff about DTS nuked ]

>The stuff that annoys me is like what happened to Sowrd of Sodan.  They
>spend 1 million bucks to develop it, come out with ** 3 ** functioning
	^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>demos, and then bag the whole project!  It's this kind of follow
>through which is making the Apple II software scene the pits!

Really?!  $1 million?  Sounds rather ludicrous to me.  If they can't
produce a game for under $10000 they should hire another programmer.
Especially in these days of software houses using large libraries of
code and tools, they should be able to slap a workable version of a
game together quite quickly and then fine tune it.  Maybe that's why
their profit margins are so low.

Somehow I doubt that figure above very highly.

Hey, if you're a SW company and you just blew $1 you'd be out of
business.  If you're still in business, I'll do it for 1/8 the price.
:-)

--
      Jerry Penner	  Edmonton, Alberta, Canada	    Go Oilers Go!
	jpenne@bode.ee.ualberta.ca	  or	   alberta!bode!jpenne