[comp.sys.apple2] Usage

crew.wicklein@pro-midnightex.cts.com (Chris Wicklein) (04/27/91)

   Has anyone had a GS for several years, and left it on * alot *? I've had
mine since summer, and often will use it from 4PM to midnight, then leave
it on all night as an alarm clock, using a little ProDOS MLI call to get
the time and boot SoundSmith at 4AM. This is 12 hours a day it's on,
although I'm not actively using it all that time. I'm curios how good this
is for it.
----
ProLine:  crew.wicklein@pro-midnightex
Internet: crew.wicklein@pro-midnightex.cts.com
UUCP:     crash!pro-midnightex!crew.wicklein
ARPA:     crash!pro-midnightex!crew.wicklein@nosc.mil

2hnemarrow@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (04/27/91)

In article <8870@crash.cts.com>, crew.wicklein@pro-midnightex.cts.com (Chris Wicklein) writes:

>    Has anyone had a GS for several years, and left it on * alot *? I've had
> mine since summer, and often will use it from 4PM to midnight, then leave
> it on all night as an alarm clock, using a little ProDOS MLI call to get
> the time and boot SoundSmith at 4AM. This is 12 hours a day it's on,
> although I'm not actively using it all that time. I'm curios how good this
> is for it.

Mine was on all summer, and I know Bloom County BBS is run on a IIgs.  It's
probably best to have a fan though.  BTW, why don't you upload your little
ProDOS MLI call somwhere; like maybe comp.binaries.apple2.  (it doesn't have to
be pretty.)
  And, Harry, who are you to judge me? -- Andy Nichols: 1991 -- also:
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|   Barabas: ~A.D. 35 and
  2hnemarrow@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu       |   Hirohito:  1946
  PPark@volta.ece.ukans.edu            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  * Christopher Robin at Bloom County BBS, Dearborn, MI: 313-582-0888
  It's ruined, Tigger -- ruined!  Oh why don't you ever stop bouncing? --Rabbit

bazyar@ernie (Jawaid Bazyar) (04/28/91)

In article <8870@crash.cts.com> crew.wicklein@pro-midnightex.cts.com (Chris Wicklein) writes:
>   Has anyone had a GS for several years, and left it on * alot *? I've had
>mine since summer, and often will use it from 4PM to midnight, then leave
>it on all night as an alarm clock, using a little ProDOS MLI call to get
>the time and boot SoundSmith at 4AM. This is 12 hours a day it's on,
>although I'm not actively using it all that time. I'm curios how good this
>is for it.

  I ran a BBS.  My GS was on 24 hours a day for many months at a time.  In
fact, even though I'm no longer running a BBS, I'm used to Unix now, and
dislike rebooting unless absolutely necessary.
  I've never had a hardware failure of any kind in my GS.  I do however
have an Apple internal fan (which works very well and costs half what the
stupid Kensington ripoff fan does).

  The rule for computer equipment is generally that the less you power on
and off (a big shock to a system), the longer it will last.  Silicon doesn't
"wear out".  Similar to the fact that 90% of auto engine wear is incurred
while starting the engine- when the oil is in the pan and NOT lubricating
anything.

  To summarize- leaving it on doesn't hurt it, and might even help it some.
--
Jawaid Bazyar               |  "Twenty seven faces- with their eyes turned to
Senior/Computer Engineering |    the sky. I have got a camera, and an airtight

mkheintz@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Michael Heintz) (04/28/91)

In article <8870@crash.cts.com> crew.wicklein@pro-midnightex.cts.com (Chris Wicklein) writes:

>   Has anyone had a GS for several years, and left it on * alot *? I've had
>mine since summer, and often will use it from 4PM to midnight, then leave
>it on all night as an alarm clock, using a little ProDOS MLI call to get
>the time and boot SoundSmith at 4AM. This is 12 hours a day it's on,
>although I'm not actively using it all that time. I'm curios how good this
>is for it.

Chris,

My father once pointed out an interestin business magazine article
that stated it is actually better to leave the machine running
all the time!  The power drain is low (of course you really don't
need the monitor if you're just using the speaker, right??) and the
article said that the machine should last longer if used in this
fashion.. why??  because of the delicate circuitry, the author
argued that you cause less wear and tear when you leave the computer
on if you are going to be using if for long periods of time...

I also read in the Apple Hard drive documentation (I didn't buy one,
we got one at work) that it is okay to leave it on for extended
periods of time, although they suggest not leaving it on if you
will not be using it for 24 hours or so...  I think that hard drives
are able to keep up to speed better than being "brought up" to
speed all the time...

Hope this helps!

Mike

j0p7771@sigma.tamu.edu (PEREZ, JASON) (04/28/91)

  In article <1991Apr27.174127.14781@m.cs.uiuc.edu>, you write...
  >  I've never had a hardware failure of any kind in my GS.  I do however
  >have an Apple internal fan (which works very well and costs half what the
  >stupid Kensington ripoff fan does).
  >
  >Jawaid Bazyar               |  "Twenty seven faces- with their eyes turned to

        That's not exactly a fair comparison.  The System Saver fan is larger
  and the Saver comes with a four-outlet suppressor, with two activation
  switches.  And it looks nice.

  Bitnet  : J0P7771@TAMSIGMA              |    "Frodo Lives !!"
  Internet: J0P7771@sigma.tamu.edu        |    "Don't have a cow man!
            J0P7771@venus.tamu.edu              Jason Perez

marks@pro-shop.cts.com (System Administrator) (04/28/91)

>   Has anyone had a GS for several years, and left it on * alot *? I've had
> mine since summer, and often will use it from 4PM to midnight, then leave
> it on all night as an alarm clock, using a little ProDOS MLI call to get
> the time and boot SoundSmith at 4AM. This is 12 hours a day it's on,
> although I'm not actively using it all that time. I'm curios how good this
> is for it.

   Actually, the hardest thing you can do to ANY electrical device is TURN IT
ON. That first surge of power is the greatest shock it will feel on a routine
day. I leave mine on 24 hours a day to run the BBS. The hard drive went about
5 months ago, the monitor went about 9 months ago, (had a bad year...) but the
CPU keeps on ticking.

   The best advice I can give you is to use a cooling fan, and turn off the
monitor if you don't need it. It runs very hot. The internal (or external)
speaker will still work if that is how you have the alarm hooked up.

   Oh, and another thing you will gain is battery life. If you don't turn the
CPU off, the battery will last MUCH longer because you don't use it to
maintain the system while it is off.

   Oh, my system is 4 years old

-- Mark

----
ProLine:  marks@pro-shop              UUCP:  crash!pro-shop!marks
Internet: marks@pro-shop.cts.com      ARPANet: crash!pro-shop!marks@nosc.mil
             [  Pro-Shop BBS (717)945-5448 / Scranton, Pa. ]

alb@cognos.UUCP (Al Belyea) (04/28/91)

I've had my GS for a number of years and for the last 2 or 3, I've left it
on all the time. I have a Kensington System Saver, with the Hard drive and
monitor plugged into the AUX switch, wth the CPU plugged into the MASTER
switch. When I'm done with it I do a cold shutdown and use the AUX switch to
turn off the hard drive and monitor. The CPU and the fan stay on all the time.

I haven't had any problems at all and I've got a fairly loaded system (4 Meg,
TWGS, stereo card, Quickie, VOC, AE heavy duty power supply). The only thing
is that every once in awhile, I'll power it down completely to vacuum out
the innards. The constant fan pulls in a lot of dust etc.

From what I've heard, the power up sequence is hard on electronic components.
Providing power to them all the time is supposed to be better for them over
the long term. Also, battery should last a long time.

--
Allan Belyea              UUCP:                          3755 Riverside Dr.
Cognos Incorporated       alb@cognos                     P.O. Box 9707

MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET (04/29/91)

On Sat, 27 Apr 91 17:41:27 GMT Jawaid Bazyar said:
>  I've never had a hardware failure of any kind in my GS.  I do however
>have an Apple internal fan (which works very well and costs half what the
>stupid Kensington ripoff fan does).

Well, the Kensington fan is a little more than a fan (If you're talking about
the Kensington System Save IIGS).  It's a fan, PLUS, a surge suppressor, plus
four back mounted power, grounded, sockets, plus, front mounted, lit, power
button, and front mounted, lit, auxilery power switch.

  BITNET--  mquinn@utcvm    <------------send files here
  pro-line-- mquinn@pro-gsplus.cts.com

alfter@nevada.edu (SCOTT ALFTER) (04/29/91)

I don't know why your usage would be a strain on the system.
Remember, most BBSes (though not mine) are online 24 hours a day, 7
days a week!

Scott Alfter-----------------------------_/_----------------------------
Call the Skunk Works BBS (702) 896-2676 / v \ 6 PM-6 AM 300/1200/2400
Internet: alfter@uns-helios.nevada.edu (    ( Apple II:
   GEnie: S.ALFTER                      \_^_/ the power to be your best!

kms@pro-permian.cts.com (Kevin M. Smallwood) (04/30/91)

        My Apple IIgs has been running constantly* since 1987. 90% of this
use has been from running a bbs of some sort. I've never had a power
failure, or monitor failure of any kind. I have a lot of cards inside the
case, but I use two fans (the internal Apple fan and a Kensington System
Saver IIgs). I don't know if having two fans helps, but I can't see it
hurting!

Kevin
-----
ProLine    : kms@pro-permian                : Kevin M. Smallwood
Internet    : kms@pro-permian.cts.com        : 4415 Northcrest Dr. #2816
UUCP         : crash!pro-permian!kms          : Midland, Texas  79707
ARPA          : crash!pro-permian!kms@nosc.mil : (915) 520-3010 (Modem)
America Online : kms2                           : (915) 520-3011 (Voice)

drudman@hpcc01.HP.COM (Drew Rudman) (05/02/91)

I run my BBS off of my GS so it is on 24 hrs a day.  There are a lot of systems
out there that do this.  I think the only detriment is to the hard drive which
has a rated cycle life - the longer it is on, the less life it will have.  I
believe leaving the computer componetry on all the time is actually a GOOD
thing - constantly altering the electronic state of a machine with a lot of
off/on uses probably isn't as healthy.  The additional bonus is that I have
had my GS for 5 or 6 years now and I have yet to replace the original battery!

[ Call...              9600bps/60meg ][ Drew Rudman                        ]
[            The Charge              ][                                    ]
[   Apple ][              IBM        ][ Usenet: drudman@hpiosa.corp.hp.com ]
[          (415) 321-4713            ][ The Charge BBS: Axe Slinger (#1)   ]

drudman@hpcc01.HP.COM (Drew Rudman) (05/07/91)

Not to mention that the internal GS fan consumes 2 slots.

[   Apple ][              IBM        ][ Internet: drudman@hpiosa.corp.hp.com ]

In article <1520021@hpcc01.HP.COM> drudman@hpcc01.HP.COM (Drew Rudman) writes:
>Not to mention that the internal GS fan consumes 2 slots.

Wrong, thanks for playing.

The internal IIgs fan "consumes" _no_ slots - it draws power from the fan
connector on the back of the motherboard near the power supply.

The internal fan *does* sit in front of slots 1-3, which is why the IIgs
Peripheral Card Specifications (Apple IIgs Technical Note #28, October 1987)
says and has _always_ said cards designed for slots 1-3 should be no longer
than 7 inches.
Matt Deatherage, Developer Technical  | The opinions expressed herein are
Support, Apple Computer, Inc.         | not those of Apple Computer, and
Personal mail only, please.  Thanks.  | shame on you for thinking otherwise.

philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) (05/10/91)

In article <1520021@hpcc01.HP.COM> drudman@hpcc01.HP.COM (Drew Rudman) writes:
>Not to mention that the internal GS fan consumes 2 slots.

The Cirtech fan (you can order it from A2-Central) is quiet and does not
consume 2 slots. It is an internal one.

Philip McDunnough
University of Toronto

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (05/11/91)

In article <1520021@hpcc01.HP.COM> drudman@hpcc01.HP.COM (Drew Rudman) writes:
>Not to mention that the internal GS fan consumes 2 slots.

While there is not room for LONG cards, short ones fit just fine.
The internal fan's biggest problems are (a) noise and (b) noise.
(Two kinds of "noise" here.)

daveharv@pro-novapple.cts.com (Dave Harvey-SysAdmin) (05/15/91)

>The internal fan *does* sit in front of slots 1-3, which is why the IIgs
>Peripheral Card Specifications (Apple IIgs Technical Note #28, October 1987)
>says and has _always_ said cards designed for slots 1-3 should be no longer
>than 7 inches.

That's all well and good, but what if you decide to use AppleTalk on a ROM 01
machine and have a hard disk.  In some documentation I've seen, possibably
Apple's, they suggest putting the hard drive in slot 1.  I haven't seen any
controller cards that were 7 inches or less.  The only other alternative is
to stick the card in slot 6 thereby doing away with using 5 1/4" drives
unless you get a card for the 5 1/4" drive and stick *it* in slot 1.

proline: pro-novapple!daveharv                    |
uucp: crash!pnet01!pro-novapple!daveharv          |   Pro-novapple BBS
arpa: crash!pnet01!pro-novapple!daveharv@nosc.mil |  300/1200/2400/9600 Baud
Internet: daveharv@pro-novapple.cts.com           |    703-671-0416

Northern Virginia Apple Users Group               |
P.O. Box 8211, Falls Church, VA 22041             |