[comp.sys.apple2] Which assembler?

HL00@NS.CC.LEHIGH.EDU (Sheng Lin) (05/13/91)

Well, I guess I've had enough practice programming the GS from the
mini-assembler and now I'm thinking of getting a full-size assembler.
If I'm going to write GS specific applications, should I get the Merlin
8/16 or the Orca/M package?

MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET (05/13/91)

On Mon, 13 May 91 01:31:57 GMT <info-apple-request@APPLE.COM> said:
>Well, I guess I've had enough practice programming the GS from the
>mini-assembler and now I'm thinking of getting a full-size assembler.
>If I'm going to write GS specific applications, should I get the Merlin
>8/16 or the Orca/M package?

I can't speak for the Merlin Assembler because I've never seen it, but
the ORCA/M Assembler is definitely worth getting.  Most Assembly code you'll
find for the GS is completely compatible with it.  The Byte Works (the people
that make ORCA) helped produce the APW Assembler and the ORCA assembler is
the same thing as the APW Assembler, so code written for one will almost
always work for the other.  If you want to stay 'main-stream' in GS
assembly, ORCA/M would probably be the best route.
                       --------

  BITNET--  mquinn@utcvm    <------------send files here
  pro-line-- mquinn@pro-gsplus.cts.com

In article <12059120:31:44HL00@lehigh.bitnet> HL00@NS.CC.LEHIGH.EDU (Sheng Lin) writes:
>Well, I guess I've had enough practice programming the GS from the
>mini-assembler and now I'm thinking of getting a full-size assembler.
>If I'm going to write GS specific applications, should I get the Merlin
>8/16 or the Orca/M package?

	The LISA assembler was posted to comp.binaries.apple2 recently.
It's freeware I believe.. If not, it's definitely shareware then...
--
/unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu       Apple IIGS Forever!        unknown@cats.ucsc.edu\
|WANT to help get ULTIMA VI //e or GS written?-mail me. CHEAP CD info-mail me.|

mhill@pnet91.cts.com (Martin Hill) (05/13/91)

> Well, I guess I've had enough practice programming the GS from the
> mini-assembler and now I'm thinking of getting a full-size assembler.
> If I'm going to write GS specific applications, should I get the Merlin
> 8/16 or the Orca/M package?

If you're planning to do pure assembly programming, then I recommend Merlin.
It's much quicker, stores source files more efficiently, has better macros,
has built-in utilities accessible just by hitting U at the main menu, and
everything is at your fingertips at all times. It's so much faster than ORCA/M
you wouldn't believe it. It's much easier and faster to assemble and link,
test the program out, quit, and then return to the editor with Merlin.

On the other hand, if you plan to integrate high level languages with
assembly, which I feel is the only way to go, then you'll need ORCA. That's
really the only thing in its favour, but it's an important consideration. When
I started using ORCA/M after using Merlin for a long time I found the whole
process clumsy and slow. That was when I really appreciated Merlin's great
editor. But I need to combine C and assembly, so ORCA is what I use.

UUCP: bkj386!pnet91!mhill
INET: mhill@pnet91.cts.com

ART100@psuvm.psu.edu (Andy Tefft) (05/13/91)

In article <15708@darkstar.ucsc.edu>, unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User)
says:

>In article <12059120:31:44HL00@lehigh.bitnet> HL00@NS.CC.LEHIGH.EDU (Sheng
>Lin)
>writes:
>>Well, I guess I've had enough practice programming the GS from the
>
>        The LISA assembler was posted to comp.binaries.apple2 recently.

Note that I haven't posted the GS versions yet. They are still
available by anon. ftp from ucrmath.ucr.edu in the PC subdirectory.
All I am doing is ftp'ing the files from ucr, running them through
bsc on unix, and posting them as a favor to Randy Hyde, who put them
on ucr in the first place.

I will probably get to posting the GS version this week; if anyone
else wants to volunteer the effort send me mail (should probably
be posted by someone who can download it and test it out briefly
first).

daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Dave Huang) (05/13/91)

In article <91133.103023ART100@psuvm.psu.edu> ART100@psuvm.psu.edu (Andy Tefft) writes:
>[ Re GS version of Lisa assembler ]
>I will probably get to posting the GS version this week; if anyone
>else wants to volunteer the effort send me mail (should probably
>be posted by someone who can download it and test it out briefly
>first).

I've d/led Lisa 16, and it works fine, but I can't get Anix to work
right... It assembles, but hangs on the title screen when I launch it
:-( Has anyone had any success with Anix?
--
David Huang                                 |
Internet: daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu          |     "Help! My ganglion is

rhyde@dimaggio.ucr.edu (randy hyde) (05/15/91)

If you are attempting to assemble and run ANIX 816 (I forget the version #,
but it's the .SHK one), it does not assemble and run.  It did at one time,
but I broke the code into pieces and make tools out of parts of it.  Never had
the time to get the new stuff working again.  I offered the source only as
examples.  It would probably take about two weeks worth of evenings for me to
get it working again.  Probably four weeks for someone just learning the
system.
*** Randy Hyde