[comp.sys.apple2] 3200 -> gif

isbell@athena.mit.edu (Charles L Isbell) (05/07/91)

So, anyway, I've used GIF3200 to make GIF files 3200 files.  Is there
a utility out there somewhere to make 3200 files GIF files?

Peace.
                                "Watch what you wish for--it may come true."
--
Don't just adopt opinions,    | \  / | Charles Lee Isbell
      develop them.           |  \/  | Homeboy from hell, living axiom and

taob@micor.ocunix.on.ca (Brian Tao) (05/07/91)

From isbell@athena.mit.edu (Charles L Isbell):

> So, anyway, I've used GIF3200 to make GIF files 3200 files.  Is there
> a utility out there somewhere to make 3200 files GIF files?

    The only one I know of is SuperConvert 3.0 (from Seven Hills Software).
I don't think you can go directly from 3200 to GIF.  You might have to
change it into a 256-colour approximation, and then a GIF.  Ask someone who
has SuperConvert.

sharris@chopin.udel.edu (Scott A Harris) (05/07/91)

In article <yL7J21w162w@micor.ocunix.on.ca> taob@micor.ocunix.on.ca (Brian Tao) writes:
>From isbell@athena.mit.edu (Charles L Isbell):
>
>    The only one I know of is SuperConvert 3.0 (from Seven Hills Software).
>I don't think you can go directly from 3200 to GIF.  You might have to
>change it into a 256-colour approximation, and then a GIF.  Ask someone who
>has SuperConvert.

Were can this SuperConvert be purchased.   Hmmmmmmm.
Thanks
Scott

dead

--
Scott A. Harris   sharris @ brahms.udel.edu   sharris @ chopin.udel.edu
                 HIO01142 @ udelvm.udel.edu    harris @ freezer.it.udel.edu

taob@micor.ocunix.on.ca (Brian Tao) (05/07/91)

From sharris@chopin.udel.edu (Scott A Harris):

> Were can this SuperConvert be purchased.   Hmmmmmmm.

    Directly from Seven Hills Software, I would imagine.  Programs Plus also
sells SuperConvert for $22.  If you're into moving lots of graphics around
different computers, SC 3.0 sounds like exactly what you need.

--
(desperately seeking a .sig)

taob@micor.ocunix.on.ca (Brian Tao) (05/07/91)

From kolesar@plains.NoDak.edu (Joe Kolesar):

> The author was supposed to incorporate a lot of new features into
> the program, and I heard he even put in an IFF->GS converter.

    Yes, you can convert Amiga IFF as well as several IBM graphic formats
(DeluxePaint II IFF, PC Paintbrush .PCX files, and a few others which escape
me at the moment).  I don't have SC 3.0 myself, so I can't give you a featre
list.  It looks a lot like SHRConvert 2.1 (with the three windows), but the
list of conversions is MUCH more impressive.  There is even support for TIFF
files created by PageMaker 4.0 on the Mac!

> Does anyone with a copy know what's new with SC 3.0 compared to
> SHRConvert v2.1?

    This is basically what Jason Harper wrote in the "What's New?" section
of the help: "There have been too many changes made to the last shareware
version of SHRConvert 2.1 to list here.  In future versions, this page will
list changes from the previous version."  That is NO understatement.  Jason
has included a plethora of dithering/re-mapping/transformation algorithms to
make your conversions as nice as possible.  320-mode, 640-mode, mixed
resolutions, multi-palettes, etc.  Unfortunately, it does not support
3200-colour output yet (but you can convert 3200-colour images into rahther
nice-looking 256-colour graphics for startup screens).

--
Brian T. Tao   *B-)  |  taob@micor.ocunix.on.ca  |  "Though this be
2705-1510 Riverside  |           - or -          |   madness, yet there

kolesar@plains.NoDak.edu (Joe Kolesar) (05/07/91)

In article <k7wk22w162w@micor.ocunix.on.ca> taob@micor.ocunix.on.ca (Brian Tao) writes:
>If you're into moving lots of graphics around
>different computers, SC 3.0 sounds like exactly what you need.

The author was supposed to incorporate a lot of new features into the
program, and I heard he even put in an IFF->GS converter.  Does anyone
with a copy know what's new with SC 3.0 compared to SHRConvert v2.1?

--
Joe Kolesar    Mail: kolesar@plains.nodak.edu   Flames: swiers@plains.nodak.edu
Cleared by Iraqi Censors        Disclaimer: Do you actually think I wrote this?

In article <10239@plains.NoDak.edu> kolesar@plains.NoDak.edu (Joe Kolesar) writes:
>The author was supposed to incorporate a lot of new features into the
>program, and I heard he even put in an IFF->GS converter.  Does anyone
>with a copy know what's new with SC 3.0 compared to SHRConvert v2.1?

	Uhh, I know that it's not faster in GIF conversions than old
versions.. Or at least it's not up to the speed of recent GIF
converters... You people wait until you see Lord High Giffer.. WOW!
(Comon, Todd.. comon! Hurryup! New beta release!)

	I e-mailed Jason Harper on CompuServe a while ago and told him
there were much faster GIF converters out now and he said he wasn't
interested in getting a faster GIF converter...

	Sure seems strange, when Todd's GIF converter when it was COMPLETELY
in C, it was faster than SHRConvert. (I believe completely in BASIC it was
faster too)   Todd, please correct any misstatements on my part.
--
/unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu       Apple IIGS Forever!        unknown@cats.ucsc.edu\
|WANT to help get ULTIMA VI //e or GS written?-mail me. CHEAP CD info-mail me.|

meekins@gryphon.cis.ohio-state.edu (Tim Meekins) (05/08/91)

In article <15522@darkstar.ucsc.edu> unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:

>In article <10239@plains.NoDak.edu> kolesar@plains.NoDak.edu (Joe Kolesar) writes:
>>The author was supposed to incorporate a lot of new features into the
>>program, and I heard he even put in an IFF->GS converter.  Does anyone
>>with a copy know what's new with SC 3.0 compared to SHRConvert v2.1?
>
>	Uhh, I know that it's not faster in GIF conversions than old
>versions.. Or at least it's not up to the speed of recent GIF
>converters... You people wait until you see Lord High Giffer.. WOW!
>(Comon, Todd.. comon! Hurryup! New beta release!)

The main reason that GIF is not faster in SC 3.0 is becuase it doesn't
exist. Jason left it out due to doubts about the patent/copyright/whatever
on the GIF/LZW/whatever code.

>	I e-mailed Jason Harper on CompuServe a while ago and told him
>there were much faster GIF converters out now and he said he wasn't
>interested in getting a faster GIF converter...

Of course not, he doesn't even include GIF.

>	Sure seems strange, when Todd's GIF converter when it was COMPLETELY
>in C, it was faster than SHRConvert. (I believe completely in BASIC it was
>faster too)   Todd, please correct any misstatements on my part.

Well, Give Jason some credit. He DID use APW C, which we all know doesn't
produce the quickest code (but hey, it DOES work, unlike another C), and it
also has a nice color mapping which can also take time.
--
+---------------------------S-U-P-P-O-R-T-----------------------------------+
|/ Tim Meekins                  <<>> Snail Mail:           <<>>  Apple II  \|

stc7@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Steven T Chiang) (05/08/91)

In article <118375@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> meekins@gryphon.cis.ohio-state.edu (Tim Meekins) writes:

>>	I e-mailed Jason Harper on CompuServe a while ago and told him
>>there were much faster GIF converters out now and he said he wasn't
>>interested in getting a faster GIF converter...
>>

>Of course not, he doesn't even include GIF.

	Your information is somewhat outdated.  SuperConvert v3.0, the shipping
version includes GIF.  The betas did not for the reasons you
mentioned.  I guess it was brought back because of the demand (?).
Steven Chiang                  Coming Soon:  DreamGrafix  3200 color power
stc7@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu
America On_Line:  DWS Steve    Apple IIgs Forever!

daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Dave Huang) (05/09/91)

In article <118375@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> meekins@gryphon.cis.ohio-state.edu (Tim Meekins) writes:
>The main reason that GIF is not faster in SC 3.0 is becuase it doesn't
>exist. Jason left it out due to doubts about the patent/copyright/whatever
>on the GIF/LZW/whatever code.

Have you actually seen SuperConvert 3.0? I ask since the guy from
Seven Hills has repeatedly stated on America Online that SC 3.0 _does_
have GIF conversion. Jason was going to leave it out, but he finally
got some kind of deal and SC now does GIF.

>Well, Give Jason some credit. He DID use APW C, which we all know doesn't
>produce the quickest code (but hey, it DOES work, unlike another C), and it
>also has a nice color mapping which can also take time.

The color mapping is the _only_ thing I like about SHRConvert 2.1...
it makes OK looking dithered 16 color pics out of 256 color GIFs
(provided they're small enough). Also, I think SuperConvert is limited
to 640x400 pics (I think that's 640 mode, but I'm not sure), which is
pretty small. It can't even load all of a 640x480 pic :-( I agree with
Unknown; Lord High Giffer looks very promising. Just the other day, I
loaded a 1xxx by something GIF with no problems at all (it was
converted from a grayscale TIFF, and you know how big those 300 dpi
scans are!) Any new betas yet, Todd? I've still got the seed
version...

>--
>+---------------------------S-U-P-P-O-R-T-----------------------------------+
>|/ Tim Meekins                  <<>> Snail Mail:           <<>>  Apple II  \|
>|>   meekins@cis.ohio-state.edu <<>>   8372 Morris Rd.     <<>>  Forever!  <|
>|\   timm@pro-tcc.cts.com       <<>>   Hilliard, OH 43026  <<>>            /|
 +-------------------------S-H-A-R-E-W-A-R-E---------------------------------+

;-)

--
David Huang                                 |
Internet: daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu          |     "Help! My ganglion is

meekins@anaconda.cis.ohio-state.edu (Tim Meekins) (05/09/91)

In article <48664@ut-emx.uucp> daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Dave Huang) writes:
>In article <118375@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> meekins@gryphon.cis.ohio-state.edu (Tim Meekins) writes:
>
>Have you actually seen SuperConvert 3.0? I ask since the guy from
>Seven Hills has repeatedly stated on America Online that SC 3.0 _does_
>have GIF conversion. Jason was going to leave it out, but he finally
>got some kind of deal and SC now does GIF.

As mentioned previously. I blew it, since I've only seen the beta version.

>The color mapping is the _only_ thing I like about SHRConvert 2.1...
>it makes OK looking dithered 16 color pics out of 256 color GIFs
>(provided they're small enough). Also, I think SuperConvert is limited
>to 640x400 pics (I think that's 640 mode, but I'm not sure), which is
>pretty small. It can't even load all of a 640x480 pic :-( I agree with
>Unknown; Lord High Giffer looks very promising. Just the other day, I
>loaded a 1xxx by something GIF with no problems at all (it was
>converted from a grayscale TIFF, and you know how big those 300 dpi
>scans are!) Any new betas yet, Todd? I've still got the seed
>version...

LHG does sound great, but I'm sure its speed will descrease once Todd
adds some real fancy color mapping. But, I'm positive it will still be
quite a bit more quicker than SC.

Also, the main question that started this feed was whether there were
any programs that would store a 3200 as a GIF. I don't know for a fact,
but I suspect the The Graphics Exchange can do it. Maybe someone who
has a copy can verify this.

-Tim

PS. "Look ma, new sig!!! It's only 4 lines now!!"
--
++------------S-U-P-P-O-R-T---S-H-A-R-E-W-A-R-E---O-R---D-I-E-!-----------++

gt0t+@andrew.cmu.edu (Gregory Ross Thompson) (05/10/91)

meekins@anaconda.cis.ohio-state.edu (Tim Meekins) writes:
> Also, the main question that started this feed was whether there were
> any programs that would store a 3200 as a GIF. I don't know for a fact,
> but I suspect the The Graphics Exchange can do it. Maybe someone who
> has a copy can verify this.

  Okay, I will.  Yes, The Graphic Exchange (by John MacLean), along
with Library Disk #1 (which either is now available from RWP, or will
be very soon) can load GIFs of any size (as far as I can tell), do
some amazing pallette selection (1, 16, or 200 pallettes), and save
the result.  The conversions are all VERY fast.  Once Todd has LHG
working and doing good color optimizations, I'd love to do a time
trial.  I think TGE can hold it's ground against just about anything.

  TGE can save (and load) EVERY existing 3200 format.  It'll do the
French 3201 (or whatever you wanna call it), it'll do Brook's format,
it'll do 'em all.

  If you do lots of work with pics (Especially GIFs & 3200s), I highly
suggest you call RWP right now, and order yourself a copy of TGE.
John MacLean has put a LOT of work into it.  RWP's number is (619)
442-0522, and the item # for TGE is 271...

  No, I don't work for RWP...

> -Tim
>
> PS. "Look ma, new sig!!! It's only 4 lines now!!"
> --
> ++------------S-U-P-P-O-R-T---S-H-A-R-E-W-A-R-E---O-R---D-I-E-!-----------++
> || Tim Meekins                   ||  Snail Mail:           ||   Apple II  ||
> ||   meekins@cis.ohio-state.edu  ||    8372 Morris Rd.     ||   Forever!  ||
> \\___timm@pro-tcc.cts.com________/\____Hilliard, OH 43026__/\_____________//

  Nice, Tim.  It's beautiful.  It's even short enough so that it
doesn't wrap around when people quote/caption/whatever it...

		-Greg T.
		 InterNet: gt0t+@andrew.cmu.edu
		 BITNet  : R746GT0T@CMCCVB
		 AOL     : GRThompson

johnmac@fawlty.towers.oz (John MacLean) (05/10/91)

In article <118614@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> meekins@anaconda.cis.ohio-state.edu (Tim Meekins) writes:
>In article <48664@ut-emx.uucp> daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Dave Huang) writes:
>>In article <118375@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> meekins@gryphon.cis.ohio-state.edu (Tim Meekins) writes:
>>
>Also, the main question that started this feed was whether there were
>any programs that would store a 3200 as a GIF. I don't know for a fact,
>but I suspect the The Graphics Exchange can do it. Maybe someone who
>has a copy can verify this.
>-Tim

Yes, TGE can do it also, but you need TGE Library Disk #1.
It has two 3200 toolsets which can load and save all the 3200 file formats
and lots of GIF toolsets to handle color mapping and scaling in various
ways.

However, the *real power* only comes when you get TGE Library Disk #2
(which is yet to be released).
I'm almost there now (unfortunately, my studies and my job have to come
first - My final exam is June 15 - Yeah!).

John MacLean.
--
This net: johnmac@fawlty.towers.oz                      Phone: +61 2 427 2999
That net: uunet!fawlty.towers.oz!johnmac                Fax:   +61 2 427 7072

lhaider@pro-nbs.cts.com (Laer Haider) (05/10/91)

>>From sharris@chopin.udel.edu (Scott A Harris):
>> Were can this SuperConvert be purchased.   Hmmmmmmm.
>
>    Directly from Seven Hills Software, I would imagine.  Programs Plus
also
>sells SuperConvert for $22.  If you're into moving lots of graphics around
>different computers, SC 3.0 sounds like exactly what you need.

This is a big problem in the Apple community, and growing.  How is anyone
to know that a program is available for our computers?  We should start a
monthly list of available programs, approximate prices and mail order
sources for programs for the Apple II series.  Something like the Games
ratings list, or FAQ.  I'd love to do something like it, but am usually
deep in the dark concerning what's available.  Any takers?
                /    _______________________________________________
 \             / /   ProLine:  pro-nbs!lhaider
  \\\' ,      / //      INET:  lhaider@pro-nbs.cts.com
   \\\//,   _/ //,      UUCP:  crash!pro-nbs!lhaider
    \_-//' /  //<,      ARPA:  crash!pro-nbs!lhaider@nosc.mil
      \ ///  <//`     BITNET:  lhaider%pro-nbs.cts.com@nosc.mil
      /  >>  \\\`__/_
     /,)-^>>\` , \\\   The opinions express here are just opinions.
     (/   \\ /\\\      Don't have a cow man!
         // _//\\\\   -----------------------------------------------
       ((` ((

christob@neabbs.UUCP (TEKSTOTAAL) (05/16/91)

A Dutch Apple IIGS group has publshed a 3000 files AppleWorks database
with all known programs here in NL. You should write to:
Guus Schijns
Kastanjelaan 11
3442 JD  Woerden
The Netherlands
He'll send you the disk for $10, I'm sure.
greetin#! rnews 564