[comp.sys.apple2] status of TeX

acmfiu@serss0.fiu.edu (ACMFIU) (05/08/91)

in a recent post, randy hyde asked about the status of TeX. well, as far as
i know i'm the only one working on it. to date, the following programs are
complete:
	TeX v3.14
	Tangle v4.2
	Weave v4.2
	PLtoTF v3.2
	TFtoPL v3.2

all of this conversion is taking place on a Sun with gcc. i am using dave
gillespie's p2c pascal to C translator to do the conversion. everything has
gone smoothly (and better since v1.20 of p2c has been released). i am not
doing the work on my GS because i need UNIX shell scrips to help in the
conversion process. i was going to wait until i had finished all the TeX
software before trying to compile under orca/c.

however, if anyone is interested (just to be interested), i am willing
to download TeX and compile it under orca/c and see if it passes the "official"
TeX trip test (this test verifies if TeX is indeed *TeX*). i think i will
have no problems.

NOTE: i have compiled TeX on the GS before (long ago) and the executable
was 1+ megabytes in size. of course this was without optimizations on. this
is a *big* problem for you small memory folks, especially considering TeX
requires more memory for it's data (i feel sorry for you pictex folks who
have minimal memory).

let me know if you want me to try it out and i'll let you know what the
results are.

when everything is done here on the Sun, i don't plan on just compiling TeX
and then releasing it. i hope to have a graphic-based TeX system with
preview, metafont-viewing of fonts, text editor, TeX utilities, etc. in this
system. this will take time but i think in the end it will be worth it.

albert chin

rhyde@musial.ucr.edu (randy hyde) (05/09/91)

>> Status of TeX

Far out.  Glad to see some people actually doing something besides complaining.
I believe, BTW, that the Austin Code Works has a translation of TeX to C.
Runs on a PC.  But I know nothing else of the product since I've only seen
it described by one sentence in a flyer.

lucifer@world.std.com (Kevin S Green) (05/09/91)

In article <3521@kluge.fiu.edu> acmfiu@serss0.fiu.edu (ACMFIU) writes:
[...]
|when everything is done here on the Sun, i don't plan on just compiling TeX
|and then releasing it. i hope to have a graphic-based TeX system with
|preview, metafont-viewing of fonts, text editor, TeX utilities, etc. in this
|system. this will take time but i think in the end it will be worth it.
|
|albert chin

Albert,
 How do you plan to distribute the fruits of your labor (ie public domain,
freeware, shareware, commercial...)? I am interested in using it, and
will pay for the opportunity.

--
Kevin S. Green / lucifer@world.std.com / {xylogics;uunet}!world!lucifer

kpopple@imp.sim.es.com (Ken Poppleton) (05/10/91)

The University of Washington has TeX 3.1 avaible for Unix systems.  The
source incoudes the transulator for Web to C.  I have compiled LaTeX from
UofW on our Sun.  It may be possible to use the C code from a Unix version
of Tex.  The hard part would be the Unix system calls.  I would consider
the project but I do not think my 128k Apple IIe could handle TeX of LaTeX.

Ken Poppleton

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (05/11/91)

In article <3521@kluge.fiu.edu> acmfiu@serss0.fiu.edu (ACMFIU) writes:
>in a recent post, randy hyde asked about the status of TeX. ... to date,
>the following programs are complete: ...

He also challenged me to port yacc or bison to ORCA/C, which I declined.
Ironically, just after that I discovered a port of bison to ORCA/C posted
on AOL.  (Hyde was implying that it would be hard to port applications
such as these.)

rhyde@ucrmath.ucr.edu (randy hyde) (05/13/91)

He also challenged me to port yacc or bison to ORCA/C, which I declined.
Ironically, just after that I discovered a port of bison to ORCA/C posted
on AOL.  (Hyde was implying that it would be hard to port applications
such as these.)
<<<<

Nothing ironic about it.  I knew about these ports.  They don't work too
well because of memory allocation problems on the GS (my understanding is
that the BISON program only handles small grammars).  As an experience
in porting it was probably fun, sorta like porting MINIX would be.  But as
a real product, I feel it falls short.  For now I just run FLEX and BISON
on my PC and port the emitted C code to the GS (which is probably a faster
approach anyway).
*** Randy Hyde
The fact that someone has done it doesn't mean it was easy...

acmfiu@serss0.fiu.edu (ACMFIU) (05/15/91)

In article <1991May9.181315.2668@javelin.sim.es.com> kpopple@imp.sim.es.com (Ken Poppleton) writes:
>The University of Washington has TeX 3.1 avaible for Unix systems.  The
>source incoudes the transulator for Web to C.  I have compiled LaTeX from
>UofW on our Sun.  It may be possible to use the C code from a Unix version
>of Tex.  The hard part would be the Unix system calls.  I would consider
>the project but I do not think my 128k Apple IIe could handle TeX of LaTeX.
>
>Ken Poppleton

the version i've converted here on the Sun does not have any unix calls
at all. i did this on purpose because i will be porting it to the GS and
am just using it as a go-between right now.

i don't think the recompilation will be hard. i just don't have the time
to put together dvi drivers and the other stuff necessary to get a *decent*
implementation of TeX going (i don't want to attach my name to sorry
software). someone might always beat me to the punch but that is not so
much my concern as doing something i would work with. a command-line TeX
on the GS really does no good if there is not a PD shell to run it off of.
therefore, i've gotta work on the stuff that will make TeX run before i
can actually get to TeX myself. but that's just me.

i wouldn't want to handle TeX on *any* 128k machine. i don't even think
it will fit. now, if you want TeX-like features, check out Gutenberg.

albert

jb10320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Jawaid Bazyar) (05/16/91)

rhyde@ucrmath.ucr.edu (randy hyde) writes:

>Nothing ironic about it.  I knew about these ports.  They don't work too
>well because of memory allocation problems on the GS (my understanding is
>that the BISON program only handles small grammars).  As an experience
>in porting it was probably fun, sorta like porting MINIX would be.  But as
>a real product, I feel it falls short.  For now I just run FLEX and BISON
>on my PC and port the emitted C code to the GS (which is probably a faster
>approach anyway).

   I'm not so sure about the limits of Bison. I only have 1.75 meg, and I
was able to emit and compile an ANSI C grammar I pulled off the net.  It
was hardly what you'd call a small grammar.

--
Jawaid Bazyar               |  "Twenty seven faces- with their eyes turned to
Graduated!/Comp Engineering |    the sky. I have got a camera, and an airtight