[comp.sys.apple2] Apple ][GS and DeskJet 500

neufeld@aurora.physics.utoronto.ca (Christopher Neufeld) (05/10/91)

   I just picked up an HP DeskJet 500 inkjet printer and connected it to
my Apple ][GS. I've had a few difficulties with it, and I was wondering
if there's anything else I can do to fix things. I don't have an Epson
emulation cartridge.
   I can't do the old "PR#1" then "TYPE <filename>"  from BASIC or
"type <filename> > .printer" from ORCA. The printer port firmware ORAs
in the high bit, which selects graphic characters in the printer, and
doesn't invoke carriage returns. I always get a single line of greek
characters, mathematical symbols, and line art. The printer never sees a
command to begin a new line. Note that AppleWorks and similar programs
do not have this problem, as they (apparently) don't go through the
$C107 entry point with the offending ORA #$80.
   This is the thing I most want help with. I really miss being able to
print from BASIC programs or printing out ORCA program listings.
   Second problem is that DeluxePaint ][ draws 6 horizontal lines across
each page printed under the Vitesse Harmonie printer drivers. These
lines are always across the short width of the page, whether the picture
is being printed in portrait or in landscape mode. This does not happen
with BeagleWrite when it prints in non-draft mode.

   Setup:
Apple ][GS with 4MB RAM
Apple DMA SCSI and 45MB cartridge removeable drive
Applied Engineering DataLink 2400
Zip GSX

Printer port:
8N1, 19200bd, no DCD, no XON/XOFF, DTR on, line length unlimited, no echo,
add line feed after CR, buffering on

Printer DIP switches:
Character set PC-8, Paper size US letter, CR defn CR only, perforation
skip enabled, text scale mode 63 lines/page, graphics density 75 DPI,
terminal mode enabled, RS-232-C baud rate 19200, RS-232-C parity 8 bits
no parity, handshaking DTR.

--
 Christopher Neufeld....Just a graduate student  | Flash: morning star seen
 neufeld@aurora.physics.utoronto.ca    Ad astra! | in evening! Baffled

akcs.james22@vpnet.chi.il.us (James Thomas) (05/16/91)

     I was just wondering where you were able to pick up a driver that works
with the Deskjet and Apple IIGS GS/OS.  I have been looking for one for
quite a while.  Is it available thru FTP sites or did you have to purchase
it?  If so, where?  I am quite curious about the driver.  Please if anybody
knows about one, drop me a line.

                                                          James

In article <283166fb-16b0.1comp.sys.apple2-1@vpnet.chi.il.us> akcs.james22@vpnet.chi.il.us (James Thomas) writes:

>     I was just wondering where you were able to pick up a driver that works
>with the Deskjet and Apple IIGS GS/OS.  I have been looking for one for
>quite a while.  Is it available thru FTP sites or did you have to purchase
>it?  If so, where?  I am quite curious about the driver.  Please if anybody
>knows about one, drop me a line.
>
>                                                          James

Both Seven Hills and Vitesse have printer driver products for the HP DeskJet
printer.  Seven Hills' is called "Independence" and Vitesse's is called
"Harmonie."  Both have gotten excellent reviews and are available from most
mail-order places.  To my knowledge there are no free or PD HP drivers.

Matt Deatherage, Developer Technical  | The opinions expressed herein are
Support, Apple Computer, Inc.         | not those of Apple Computer, and
Personal mail only, please.  Thanks.  | shame on you for thinking otherwise.