[comp.sys.apple2] AWGS v1.1 and telcom

digdug@IASTATE.EDU (05/09/91)

Does anyone know what the terminal emulation is in the AWGS v1.1 telecom
module?
I don't think it is vt100, more like vt50.

Is there a way to add a vt100 terminal emulation to it, if so, how.  If
not, would anyone be willing to write one, I would gladly pay for it.

Later,
Doug

avery@netcom.COM (Avery Colter) (05/14/91)

digdug@IASTATE.EDU writes:

>Does anyone know what the terminal emulation is in the AWGS v1.1 telecom
>module?

Does the term 'tty' mean anything to you?
There is no full-screen emulation on AWGS Telecom. Only one of many
reasons I never use it. (The faulty downloading beinganother)

>Is there a way to add a vt100 terminal emulation to it, if so, how.  If
>not, would anyone be willing to write one, I would gladly pay for it.

Ugggh, about the only way would be an NDA that can do vt100.
I doubt Claris will ever add anything like that to the AWGS module.
--
  ^     ^ 	Avery Ray Colter
 /^\___/^\    	avery@netcom.com		{apple|claris}!netcom!avery

wombat@claris.com (Scott Lindsey) (05/17/91)

In article <1991May9.115508@IASTATE.EDU> digdug@IASTATE.EDU writes:

>Does anyone know what the terminal emulation is in the AWGS v1.1 telecom
>module?
>I don't think it is vt100, more like vt50.

More like TTY, which is to say, none.

>Is there a way to add a vt100 terminal emulation to it, if so, how.  If
>not, would anyone be willing to write one, I would gladly pay for it.

No, there's not really any way to add emulation, not for you (the 2nd party)
nor
for a 3rd party.  Sorry.

At the time StyleWare was developing AWGS (GSWorks), the main consideration for
Comm was strictly basic connectivity: the ability to connect via modem.  The
main problem with doing terminal emulation was fitting 24 lines of text on the
screen.  We considered having a text-screen comm, but that would have been a
horrible interface for a desktop program.  We thought about 7pt fonts, but
couldn't come up with anything that looked decent on the IIgs screen.  In the
end it finally came down to the amount of time that could be spent on it, and
we opted for something that could be used to log onto a BBS, keep a log, and
that's
about it.

If you really need terminal emulation, your best bet is to get a real terminal
emulation program, and use it instead of the Comm module.