[comp.sys.apple2] NBA //GS {was Net Trek Request}

SHBOUM@MACALSTR.EDU (05/18/91)

In a previous article, Todd A. Bakal writes:

>> GSs *can* talk to each other, but there isn't much software around taking
>> advantage of it.  The only one I can think of offhand was a preliminary
>> version of a "Chat" CDA that let any number of GSs talk to each other over
>> AppleTalk.

> Okay, if anyone wants to really save the GS in a college/university
> environment, develop a version of NetTrek that runs on the GS.  I
> remember a couple of years ago the Mac version almost shut down the
> net resources at U. of Michigan.  Laser printing slowed to a halt.
> Couldn't find a free packet if you tried.

> That's the real way to save the machine.  Inter-architecture computer
> games.

	Well this summer I plan to port over to the GS a very popular
game that everyone enjoyed on our PDP at high school. Its a NBA simulation
game where you and another player chooses a team with statistics taken
from real life and you play the role of coach/player. Granted, even though
it is a text game, it is still a lot of fun to play! You can either have
the current player pass the ball inside or outside, shoot, or launch a
3-pointer if they are on the perimiter if you are on offense. If the
other team has the ball, you can use the pressure defense  to try
and force the turn over. As mentioned before, all the stats will be taken
from real life, so players like Magic Johnson have a better chance of
finding the open person, while Cliff Robinson will be a better rebounder.
Every time a player makes a basket, their shooting percentage goes up,
improving their chance of making the next shot. Conversly, each miss lowers
their chance of making the next shot. Other statistics such as team defense
are worked in as well.

	Now because this game is begging to be networked, I had already
planned to do a modem driver so two players could play via the modem.
Adding an Appletalk option to this won't be that much more difficult.
However, I say this hestitantly as chances are a good reason why there
are not many Appletalk applications for the GS is because its hard to
write software for it as well. Hopefully, like the sig says, I'll be able
to finish this before the end of fall!!!

						- Hal

| Hal Bouma				| Send mail to: SHBoum@Macalstr.edu    |
| Macalester College, St. Paul, MN.	| and 		SHBoum@Macalstr.Bitnet |
| Coming this fall for the //GS: NBA!	| GEnie : H.BOUMA		       |