[comp.sys.apple2] NetTrek GS request

Tabakal@UB.CC.UMICH.EDU (05/17/91)

> GSs *can* talk to each other, but there isn't much software around taking
> advantage of it.  The only one I can think of offhand was a preliminary
> version of a "Chat" CDA that let any number of GSs talk to each other over
> AppleTalk.

Okay, if anyone wants to really save the GS in a college/university
environment, develop a version of NetTrek that runs on the GS.  I
remember a couple of years ago the Mac version almost shut down the
net resources at U. of Michigan.  Laser printing slowed to a halt.
Couldn't find a free packet if you tried.

That's the real way to save the machine.  Inter-architecture computer
games.

> David A. Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.      |   DAL Systems
> Apple II System Software Engineer         |   P.O. Box 875
> America Online: Dave Lyons                |   Cupertino, CA 95015-0875
> GEnie:DAVE.LYONS  CompuServe:72177,3233 Internet:dlyons@apple.com
>
> My opinions are my own, not Apple's.

    Todd A. Bakal                                 Introducing:
    U of M Apple User's Group                        the new and improved
    Ann Arbor, Michigan                              FTP archive site

    Internet: Tabakal@apple2.archive.umich.edu    BITnet: UserTBKL@UMICHUB
    FTP:      apple2.archive.umich.edu            141.211.165.34

nrunyon%peruvian.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (The Third Bard) (05/19/91)

In article <8862297@ub.cc.umich.edu> Tabakal@UB.CC.UMICH.EDU writes:
>> GSs *can* talk to each other, but there isn't much software around taking
>> advantage of it.
>
>Okay, if anyone wants to really save the GS in a college/university
>environment, develop a version of NetTrek that runs on the GS.  I
>remember a couple of years ago the Mac version almost shut down the
>
>> David A. Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.      |   DAL Systems
>    Todd A. Bakal                                 Introducing:

	A GS version of netrek would be awsome.  We tend to have quite a few
netrek junkies around here.  I beleive the source code is around,so that
could help.  It would be neat if it could be compatible with the current
versions around, though that may not be as easy, or even possible because of
updating times over the modem.

	Neil -

------------ TBW (The Bird Watch) Sports - Baltimore Orioles! -------------
Neil M. Runyon		     | What is TWB Sports?  Finger me and find out!
University of Utah - CS Dept | "The Few. The Proud. The Stupid. The Inept."
nrunyon@peruvian.utah.edu    | 	          - Phule's Company [Robert Asprin]