[comp.sys.apple2] I

steveb@pro-novapple.cts.com (Steve Breeding) (05/18/91)

Need some serious help here...

Here's the story..    I found a generic SCSI hard drive, and put it into a
case...    The problem is, I can't find a Low Level Formatter program for
it..

The Drive is a Micropolis 1375, and the drive, case, and cabling are all
OK, I checked them on a friends SCSI equiped IBM (it even recognizes it as
a MICPLS 1375 drive, so I know it's good)..

Ok, my questions are:

Where I can a get a LLF program for the Apple // DMA SCSI card??

Does anybody have the drivers for the Apple Tape Backup 40SC???

Thanks, guys....

----
ProLine:  steveb@pro-novapple
Internet: steveb@pro-novapple.cts.com
UUCP:     crash!pro-novapple!steveb
ARPA:     crash!pro-novapple!steveb@nosc.mil

In article <26324.netnews.info.apple@pro-novapple> steveb@pro-novapple.cts.com (Steve Breeding) writes:
>Ok, my questions are:
>Where I can a get a LLF program for the Apple // DMA SCSI card??

	Isn't the "hard format" that the Apple DMA utilities do a "low level
format"? Or is that simply zeroing the drive?
	I'm referring to the hard format it asks you if you want to skip
in the partitioning section.
	When you get rid of all partitions, the Advanced Disk Utility also
asks you if you want to reformat with another interleave, so I think that's
a low level format also.

	By the way, could someone tell me why Mr.Fixit and the Apple utilities
give me DIFFERENT blocks that are bad when I do a test? Now I seem to have
fixed everything.. I was locking out bad blocks, and I earlier had a few
problems that caused me to need to reformat... Now even Mr. Fixit skips
by the old blocks it marked bad (but it sometimes pauses for a sec, so I
think those blocks are marginal).
	Even in the beginning, Mr. Fixit & the apple utilites told me different
blocks were bad, which is weird. Not that one is a subset of the other, they
were totally diffferent sets.

>Does anybody have the drivers for the Apple Tape Backup 40SC???

	I believe you have to buy those from APDA. I hope you do buy 'em,
to show your support.
--
/unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu       Apple IIGS Forever!        unknown@cats.ucsc.edu\
|WANT to help get ULTIMA VI //e or GS written?-mail me. CHEAP CD info-mail me.|