[comp.sys.apple2] $BF

lhaider@pro-nbs.cts.com (Laer Haider) (05/16/91)

Can anybody tell me what a GS/OS document file (type $BF or DOC) is?
I've got one called BIG.WIN and haven't a clue what it's for.  I can
convert it to a text file using ProSel's "unpacker", but the outcome
is gibberish.  Any help here?
                /    _______________________________________________
 \             / /   ProLine:  pro-nbs!lhaider
  \\\' ,      / //      INET:  lhaider@pro-nbs.cts.com
   \\\//,   _/ //,      UUCP:  crash!pro-nbs!lhaider
    \_-//' /  //<,      ARPA:  crash!pro-nbs!lhaider@nosc.mil
      \ ///  <//`     BITNET:  lhaider%pro-nbs.cts.com@nosc.mil
      /  >>  \\\`__/_
     /,)-^>>\` , \\\   The opinions express here are just opinions.
     (/   \\ /\\\      Don't have a cow man!
         // _//\\\\   -----------------------------------------------
       ((` ((

daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Dave Huang) (05/19/91)

In article <3070.apple.a2.net@pro-nbs> lhaider@pro-nbs.cts.com (Laer Haider) writes:
>Can anybody tell me what a GS/OS document file (type $BF or DOC) is?
>I've got one called BIG.WIN and haven't a clue what it's for.  I can
>convert it to a text file using ProSel's "unpacker", but the outcome
>is gibberish.  Any help here?

A GS/OS DOC file is just a generic document file. However, BIG.WIN is
a Arkanoid II level file (only useful if you have Arkanoid II).
--
David Huang                                 |
Internet: daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu          |     "Help! My ganglion is

In article <3070.apple.a2.net@pro-nbs> lhaider@pro-nbs.cts.com (Laer Haider) writes:
>Can anybody tell me what a GS/OS document file (type $BF or DOC) is?
>I've got one called BIG.WIN and haven't a clue what it's for.  I can
>convert it to a text file using ProSel's "unpacker", but the outcome
>is gibberish.  Any help here?
>                /    _______________________________________________
> \             / /   ProLine:  pro-nbs!lhaider
>  \\\' ,      / //      INET:  lhaider@pro-nbs.cts.com
>   \\\//,   _/ //,      UUCP:  crash!pro-nbs!lhaider
>    \_-//' /  //<,      ARPA:  crash!pro-nbs!lhaider@nosc.mil
>      \ ///  <//`     BITNET:  lhaider%pro-nbs.cts.com@nosc.mil
>      /  >>  \\\`__/_
>     /,)-^>>\` , \\\   The opinions express here are just opinions.
>     (/   \\ /\\\      Don't have a cow man!
>         // _//\\\\   -----------------------------------------------
>       ((` ((

Are you sure it's not called BIG.SIGNATURE?  If so, delete it, please.  :)

$BF is one of those horror stories from file type days past.  It was originally
intended to be an Apple IIgs sound file, so since everyone demanded useless
three-letter abbreviations it was given the abbrevication "DOC".  Somebody
somewhere decided this meant "Document" and it even got included in the ProDOS
16 manual that way.

Needless (almost) to say, several dozen developers of IIgs applications saw
a filetype for "documents" and said "Hey, I create documents", so they used
it for their purposes.  MECC does this with _all_ of their IIgs applications
even though they've been personally told about six times not to do that
anymore.  I can't imagine a company with that many AppleLink accounts not
being able to send in a file type form.  :)  (Don't hurt me, Craig)
Matt Deatherage, Developer Technical  | The opinions expressed herein are
Support, Apple Computer, Inc.         | not those of Apple Computer, and
Personal mail only, please.  Thanks.  | shame on you for thinking otherwise.