[comp.sys.apple2] Software development from Hell!

bazyar@ernie (Jawaid Bazyar) (03/25/91)

  In a mammoth Programming Party involving about $50,000 of computer
equipment, Derek Taubert and I made progress on a number of
projects that we'd been procrastinating on for too long.

1) Zmodem- I mostly ported the 'rz' program (same as on your Unix
   box!) I fought with an insidious Orca bug for about 12 hours
   before I figured out what it was and worked around it.  Mike's
   lucky Orca 1.2 is waiting for me at home.
   I'm going to hand the code back to Gregory Ross Thompson to
   finish up (and do the companion 'sz') before general
   release.  (And I may decide to rewrite it in assembly for
   intense speed).
2) UUCP- Derek made progress on his background-tasking UUCP
   daemon for the GS.  He got a basic notification loop that puts
   items in the Run queue to work- which means that your GS will
   soon be able to do UUCP file transfers in the background in
   any application that uses TaskMaster (almost all desktop
   programs).
3) Derek rewrote a 'swatch' desktop clock in Orca/C (originally
   TML pascal).  Besides being only half as large, the program has
   added functionality. It's an NDA with a minimal window- you
   can move it around just by dragging it.
4) Derek continues work on his Nintendo Powerglove driver for GS/OS.
5) Derek converted his MIDI Monitor NDA (a window with a keyboard-
   MIDI info coming across the line gets displayed as a "keypress"
   on the keyboard) to Orca/C.  Still has a bit of a bug, but we're
   working on it.

  We're eager to hear comments on our development efforts from you
folks.  Ideas, suggestions, kudos, whatever.  We'll soon be
posting the results of the Programming Party II to the net and
information services.  Look for it!

--
Jawaid Bazyar               |"I'm sure K&R have never heard of Mike."
Senior/Computer Engineering |

rhyde@ucrmath.ucr.edu (randy hyde) (03/25/91)

Has anyone attempted to port MINIX to the Apple IIgs?

If it can run on a 640K PC it ought to be able to run on an Apple //gs.
(The PC I refer to, BTW, is an 8088).

I realize that it would be difficult to get a C compiler running under
minix generating '816 code,  but how much work would it be to get the
kernel up and running?

This thought occurred to me as I was thinking about how ridiculous it
would be to put UNIX on an Apple //gs.  Then, says I, why not?  They've
had minix and QNX, and other low-end pseudo-UNIX-Clones running on 8088s
for years.  Why can't we have a pseudo-UNIX-Clone (above and beyond
APW/ORCA) running on the GS?  Although it would run slow, the GS has all
the necessary hardware to support Minix (no, you don't need an MMU! Even if
you had one MINIX wouldn't use it).

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (03/25/91)

In article <13031@ucrmath.ucr.edu> rhyde@ucrmath.ucr.edu (randy hyde) writes:
>Has anyone attempted to port MINIX to the Apple IIgs?

While I agree that this would be technically possible, it is not at all
clear that the result would repay the development investment.

From time to time a project along these lines is suggested, but so far
as I have heard nobody has completed such an implementation.

lucifer@world.std.com (Kevin S Green) (03/26/91)

In article <1991Mar25.011616.21708@m.cs.uiuc.edu> bazyar@cs.uiuc.edu (Jawaid Bazyar) writes:
>  In a mammoth Programming Party involving about $50,000 of computer
>equipment, Derek Taubert and I made progress on a number of
>projects that we'd been procrastinating on for too long.

Where do I send my checks?

--
Kevin S. Green / lucifer@world.std.com / {xylogics;uunet}!world!lucifer

In article <13031@ucrmath.ucr.edu> rhyde@ucrmath.ucr.edu (randy hyde) writes:
>Has anyone attempted to port MINIX to the Apple IIgs?
>If it can run on a 640K PC it ought to be able to run on an Apple //gs.
>(The PC I refer to, BTW, is an 8088).

	Could you describe MINIX? Isn't it just a shell that "sort of looks
and acts" like UNIX's cshell, but doesn't do any of the 'real' things
UNIX can do? (i.e. multitasking, sockets, etc.)

>I realize that it would be difficult to get a C compiler running under
>minix generating '816 code,  but how much work would it be to get the
>kernel up and running?

	Well it's seem to me that ORCA/C could be modified "minimally"
(heh heh heh) to be able to work on a GS UNIX.

>This thought occurred to me as I was thinking about how ridiculous it
>would be to put UNIX on an Apple //gs.  Then, says I, why not?  They've
>had minix and QNX, and other low-end pseudo-UNIX-Clones running on 8088s
>for years.  Why can't we have a pseudo-UNIX-Clone (above and beyond
>APW/ORCA) running on the GS?

	Why a pseudo-UNIX clone? Why not a -real- UNIX? Sorry my oath
of nondisclosure prevents me from going into further detail about the rumors
I have heard. Hopefully some of those involved will speak up! (HINT HINT!)
--
/unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu Apple IIGS Forever! ULTIMA VI GS -mail me. CDs-mail me\
\          McIntosh Junior:  The Power to Crush the Other Kids.               /

rhyde@ucrmath.ucr.edu (randy hyde) (03/28/91)

and acts" like UNIX's cshell, but doesn't do any of the 'real' things
UNIX can do? (i.e. multitasking, sockets, etc.)
<<<<<

Minix is a system 7 clone.  It comes from AS Tannenbaum's operating systems
book.  It is a real OS (some might argue that it's only a "toy", but it is
more modern than, say, UNIX).  It has a shell but it's much more than that.
Yes, it includes multitasking and interprocess communications (I don't know
Minix well enough to know if they've implemented it via sockets, I know it
uses a message passing protocol though).  Currently it runs on PCs, Macs,
Amigas, STs, PC532s, and other machines.  Why use Minix rather than "real"
UNIX-- the sources are available.  Furthermore, Minix runs just fine in
a segmented, non-protected, environment.  The same can't really  be said about
UNIX.

The big problems-- to date I haven't seen a C compiler for the '816 that
(a) comes with sources so you can port it to GS/Minix (I don't think you
could really get GCC up and running on an Apple IIgs, it's possibly, I don't
think anyone would be willing to put in the effort; (b) the libraries available
for the GS C compilers are pretty spartan.  You'd spend a lot of time getting
those things up to snuff.  (c) I don't know how pratical the result would be.
While it's theoretically possible to get Minix up and running on the GS,
I suspect the result (since it's written in "C") would be too slow to be practical.
Perhaps some enterprising individual would be willing to rewrite it in assembly.
Then It might run at a decent rate. :-)
*** Randy Hyde

SHBOUM@MACALSTR.EDU (05/19/91)

A while ago, Jawaid Bazyar writes:

> 4) Derek continues work on his Nintendo Powerglove driver for GS/OS.

	I just read that some company has made an Apple Desktop Bus
driver/device for the mac so that people can connect their powergloves and
other such devices to the Mac {MacWeekly}. Now will your driver use this
accessory? You might want to find out who is making them for the mac
and see if they might be interested in the GS market - after all its no
R&D in hardware for them...

							- Hal

| Hal Bouma				| Send mail to: SHBoum@Macalstr.edu    |
| Macalester College, St. Paul, MN.	| and 		SHBoum@Macalstr.Bitnet |
| Coming this fall for the //GS: NBA!	| GEnie : H.BOUMA		       |