[comp.sys.apple2] zip gs

lbotez@pro-sol.cts.com (Lynda Botez) (06/04/90)

Here's some interesting new information about the above-mentioned new product
from Zip that I gleaned off of a rather well-informed Apple II BBS that I
frequent....

*********

I went to the Orange Apple Commputer Club meeting today and the President of
Zip Technology made a presentation demo of the alpha Zip GS board running at
6.25 Mhz speed.  The key to the new accelerator was a ASIC chip which
eliminate
extra chips and electronics due to consolidation into one major chip.  In late
July, they will be shipping the 8Mhz rated boards for $349.00.  He had the key
engineer with him and they will eventually upgrade to a 20Mhz speed by
swapping
the 65816 chip with a faster chip.  The board also provides cache memory using
64k chips running at 25 nonoseconds speed.  I will be calling their Culver
City
manufacturing facility on Monday to ask for the specs.  Has anyone else
checked
out Zip?

**********

So Zip are the ones who signed the agreement with ASIC.  Not Applied
Engineering.

Anyone have an update on the ASIC chip and how it's progressing?

Lynda

rbannon@mira.acs.calpoly.edu (Roy Bannon) (06/05/90)

In article <2995@crash.cts.com> lbotez@pro-sol.cts.com (Lynda Botez) writes:
>Here's some interesting new information about the above-mentioned new product
>from Zip that I gleaned off of a rather well-informed Apple II BBS that I
>frequent....
>
>*********
>
>I went to the Orange Apple Commputer Club meeting today and the President of
>Zip Technology made a presentation demo of the alpha Zip GS board running at
>6.25 Mhz speed.  The key to the new accelerator was a ASIC chip which
>eliminate

>So Zip are the ones who signed the agreement with ASIC.  Not Applied
>Engineering.
>
>Anyone have an update on the ASIC chip and how it's progressing?
>
>Lynda

Actually, I think ASIC in this context means application specific integrated
circuit.  They mention that it reduces the chip count which is consistent with
a custom logic chip.  I don't think a new uP manufacturer would do that to a
very large extent.  I don't know anything new on the progresion of the ASIC
65816.  Hope this makes it a little clearer.

Roy

paulh@nuchat.UUCP (Paul Hutmacher) (06/05/90)

In article <2995@crash.cts.com> lbotez@pro-sol.cts.com (Lynda Botez) writes:

>So Zip are the ones who signed the agreement with ASIC.  Not Applied
>Engineering.

Great.  If they ship the Zip Chip GS like they did the eight bit Zip Chip you
should probably see adds next week asking for a prepaid order and might
possibly see the finished product in nine months.

Don't get me wrong; Zip Tech makes a nice product but they sure need to learn
a bit about shipping it on time.

--
Paul Hutmacher
paulh@nuchat.UUCP

JWANKERL@UTCVM.BITNET ("Josef W. Wankerl") (06/05/90)

On Mon, 4 Jun 90 16:56:05 GMT Lynda Botez said:
>[deleted stuff]  Has anyone else
>checked
>out Zip?

Yes, I've checked it out.  In fact, I checked it out in a GS at
AppleFest.  Tony Vece installed it in our computer and we had LOTS
of fun with it.  VERY nice product... in fact... I think I'm going
to buy one instead of that nice TransWarpGS I was saving up for!
(And that means a lot!)

>**********
>
>So Zip are the ones who signed the agreement with ASIC.  Not Applied
>Engineering.

No.  Zip is doing all of their own chips.  (Or so Tony said).

>Anyone have an update on the ASIC chip and how it's progressing?

Hmmmmm...  I was gunna call Tony today and see what the situation
was.  I guess I'll have to do it tomorrow.

Oh yeah, to get the full scoop on AppleFest and the Zip GS, you
can get the latest GS+ magazine, V1N5.  :-)

--
===> Josef W. Wankerl, college student | "I am a Viking"  -Y. Malmsteen
 ProLine:  jwankerl@pro-gsplus         | BITNET:  JWANKERL@UTCVM

pnakada@oracle.com (Paul Nakada) (06/06/90)

In article <9006050225.AA22989@apple.com> JWANKERL@UTCVM.BITNET ("Josef W. Wankerl") writes:
   On Mon, 4 Jun 90 16:56:05 GMT Lynda Botez said:
   >[deleted stuff]  Has anyone else
   >checked
   >out Zip?

   Yes, I've checked it out.  In fact, I checked it out in a GS at
   AppleFest.  Tony Vece installed it in our computer and we had LOTS
   of fun with it.  VERY nice product... in fact... I think I'm going
   to buy one instead of that nice TransWarpGS I was saving up for!
   (And that means a lot!)

   >**********
   >
   >So Zip are the ones who signed the agreement with ASIC.  Not Applied
   >Engineering.

   No.  Zip is doing all of their own chips.  (Or so Tony said).

   >Anyone have an update on the ASIC chip and how it's progressing?

   Hmmmmm...  I was gunna call Tony today and see what the situation
   was.  I guess I'll have to do it tomorrow.

May I remind all of you of Zip's past record.   The original Zip chip
was shipped MANY MANY months after initial spottings.  The actual
dates I don't have on  hand.

I ordered a Zip Chip 8 at the boston applefest (May 1989) where they
had at least one working prototype.  Ship date was quoted to me as
first week of July.

After numerous calls and conversations with the President of Zip Tech,
in which he repeatedly claimed problems with production (no kidding),
I still had no Zip Chip in December.  Feeling exasperated, I cancelled
my order, and requested a full refund  ( I paid by check..  never do
this ), hoping that they would stay in business long enough for me to
get my refund.  What I didn't expect, though, was a Zip Chip in my
mail box a month later.

No problems with the chip, and I am a satisfied customer.  I do have
problems with their business practices.  Had I been approached at the
Applefest as an investor, instead of being mislead and treated as a
customer, I probably would have made a different decision.

These same sentiments have been heard before on c.s.a., so please be
careful when shelling out a lot of money to a company which has yet to
prove itself worthy of the customer's trust.

-Paul Nakada

--

Paul Nakada  |  Oracle Corporation  |  pnakada@oracle.com

jerryk@pro-tcc.cts.com (Jerry E. Kindall) (06/06/90)

The ASIC chip on the ZipGS has NO relation to ASIC Enterprises, the people who
are making the fast '816 clone.  ASIC stands for Application Specific
Integrated Circuit, and is a generic kind of chip.  Ask me, ASIC Enterprises
picked a bad name for their company and may have a hard time keeping confusion
out of the marketplace.
   _____
  ||___||  Jerry Kindall               |  Internet: jerryk@pro-tcc.cts.com
  |  o  |  1139 Maryland               |  UUCP:     nosc!crash!pro-tcc!jerryk
  |__O__|  Grosse Pointe, MI  48230    |  GEnie: A2.JERRY     ALine: A2 Jerry

chin@ankh.ftl.fl.us (Albert Chin) (06/07/90)

After reading the recent articles about the Zip GS I just though I would
post my 2-cents worth regarding the company.

After Zip sued Bits and Pieces over patent infringement I then understood
what Zip's main purpose was, to make money regardless of the cost. Not only
have I since boycotted Zip but have convinced many others to do so. I do
hope Zip will one day GO OUT OF BUSINESS. They have no position in the
Apple community. They do not care about the future of the Apple, unless it
directly affects their economics.

Bits and Pieces developed an accelerator chip MUCH better than the garbage
that Zip put out. Granted, Zip was first, but the RocketChip 10mhz
accelerator took the Apple to the limits. As soon as the RocketChip came
out I cancelled my order for the Zip Chip and have never been disappointed.
The folks at Bits and Pieces reminded me of the good 'ol Apple days, in
which knowledge was freely shared.

A friend of mine even called Bits and Pieces and talked at length with one
of the engineers regarding how they developed the chip and how the circuitry
was done. I can guarantee Zip would never have done this.

BOYCOTT ZIP TECHNOLOGY - It's that simple. Let them get the message.

As to ASIC Technologies, please not that they are making a 20mhz 65816
solely for companies such as AE and Zip that will be making accelerator
cards for the Apple. They are not making a plug-in chip for the GS. They
say it is impossible, and yet the folks at Bits 'n Pieces had a prototype
they were working with to accomplish this. It was in testing during the
beginning of this year!

albert chin ... mthvax!mamia!albert

jerryk@pro-tcc.cts.com (Jerry E. Kindall) (06/10/90)

Boycott Zip Technology... hmm.

Since when is it wrong for a company to try to make money?  Of course, if they
alienate their customers they don't stand to make money for long.

The RocketChip was a better accelerator than the ZipChip is.  Of course, since
the same guy designed both, he had a head start in doing the RocketChip.
Usually when you sign a contract with a company to develop a product, there's
a clause in the contract that forbids you to develop a similar product for a
competitor.  Zip sued (and won) over breach of contract, which is quite
provable in this case.  If you paid a guy a bunch of money to design a chip
for you and then he went off and did the same thing for someone else, you'd be
perturbed too.

ASIC Enterprises is making a 20 Mhz 65816, which will possibly be used in IIgs
accelerators.  Of course, the market is a little bigger than IIgs
accelerators.  Most 65816s in use today have little to do with Apples.  If
ASIC hoped to sell chips only to IIgs accelerator manufacturers they would
have had a difficult time finding investment capital.

The Zip GS will be a card because it HAS to be.  A plug-in processor
replacement accelerator cannot be DMA compatible; the signal simply isn't
avaialble at the processor socket.  Since the new Apple II High Speed SCSI
Card uses DMA, it's important that any IIgs accelerator be DMA compatible.
   _____
  ||___||  Jerry Kindall               |  Internet: jerryk@pro-tcc.cts.com
  |  o  |  1139 Maryland               |  UUCP:     nosc!crash!pro-tcc!jerryk
  |__O__|  Grosse Pointe, MI  48230    |  GEnie: A2.JERRY     ALine: A2 Jerry

larrylro@gnh-applesauce.cts.com (Larry LRO) (06/14/90)

The story behind the Zip and Bit n' Pieces lawsuit was an Engineer that left
Zip technologies and started the Bit n Pieces USING the technolgy that Zip had
spent thousands of dollars developing. That IS understandable. As for a Rocket
Chip GS... It would not be pratical. Tell me how you would upgrade to faster
speed? Add more cache Ram, etc? The Zip board works out of any slot (just needs
the power source) and is upgradable from the standard 8k cache, 8mhz (or will
it be 12mhz?) speed to a cache of up to 64k and a speed of beyond 25mhz. Zip
technologies said they would release the board first and a chip eventually, but
unless the chip is at 20mhz, it wouldn't be pratical if there was a difference
in price of only $20 or so..... For all we know the chip could be more
expensive. Rockets chip retailed for $229 for the IIE.....

lbotez@pro-sol.cts.com (Lynda Botez) (07/17/90)

Well, it looks like the Zip GS is close to shipping.

When this finally ships, you'll be running faster than the Transwarp GS.
It won't heat up like the Transwarp GS does... there's only 22 chips.

You can add up to 64k cache (I think it comes with 16k); and the best news is,
if you can find a faster chip, you can just pop it, and a new crystal, in;
voila... 10+ mhz.  And no errors like with the modified transwarp.

We should be hearing something soon...

Lynda

96975089@WSUVM1.CSC.WSU.EDU (Ken Smith) (10/03/90)

Has anyone heard anything new about the Zip GS.  Flipping though the latest
InCider I notice they have 3 versions, all at 8mhz.  Has anyone bought/received
any of these boards yet?  Is there any general opinion of how the Zip GS is
supposed to compare to the Transwarp?

any information would be greatly appreciated.

Ken Smith

  Internet:  96975089@wsuvm1.csc.wsu.edu
             ksmith@cs2.cs.wsu.edu

  Bitnet:    96975089@WSUVM1

In article <9010022021.AA10969@apple.com> 96975089@WSUVM1.CSC.WSU.EDU (Ken Smith) writes:
>Has anyone heard anything new about the Zip GS.  Flipping though the latest
>InCider I notice they have 3 versions, all at 8mhz.  Has anyone bought/received
>any of these boards yet?  Is there any general opinion of how the Zip GS is
>supposed to compare to the Transwarp?

	What are the prices of the three versions? Is it true one's
about $100, which I heard many months ago... (severely un-upgradeable
though)...

	I don't know because I don't waste money on Incider anymore...
Even after they screwed up and ripped me off for ~.5 year subscription
after they took over A+ (which my subscription was with), I kept buying
it at a newsstand...  I checked it out in a bookstore to read Skulley's
'letter', and then looked through it for about 2 mins to find anything
else that was useful to me.. (game reviews, and user questions).

	By the way, nobody answered my question why Incider is ONLY NOW
reviewing Airball, which is AT LEAST a year old.

--
/               Apple II(GS) Forever!    unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu               \
\"If cartoons were meant for adults, they'd be on in prime time."-Lisa Simpson/

jackg@pro-ldm.cts.com (System Administrator) (10/04/90)

I talked to Zip last week, and was told that they plan to start shipping the
5th of Oct.  I understand that one of the versions are for systems that are
using DMA, and one for those not.  I'm not sure what the 3rd one is.

UUCP:     crash!pnet01!pro-ldm!jackg           INET: jackg@pro-ldm.cts.com
ARPA:     crash!pnet01!pro-ldm!jackg@nosc.mil
ProLine:  jackg@pro-ldm                            300-9600 baud (HST)

jackg@pro-ldm.cts.com (System Administrator) (10/31/90)

I just received an eval ZipGSX, and was wondering if anybody else had had the
chance to use one.  Mine sort of has a big problem in that it dies after about
and hour of use.  I called Zip, and they said it apperars that I have a week
power supply as the card only draws 200ma.  I find it hard to believe it's the
power supply, as the only thing in the computer is a SCSI card (old), and a GS
RAM +.  Any other ideas?

UUCP:     crash!pnet01!pro-ldm!jackg           INET: jackg@pro-ldm.cts.com
ARPA:     crash!pnet01!pro-ldm!jackg@nosc.mil
ProLine:  jackg@pro-ldm                            300-9600 baud (HST)

mock@iris.ucdavis.edu (Kenrick J. Mock) (01/14/91)

Does anyone out there have the assembly code to:

1) Check if a ZIP GS board is installed in the system
2) Turn it to FAST (regular GS speed)
3) Turn it to ZIP (acclerated speed)

I appreciate it!  I've got all the stuff for the transwarp, but not
for the ZIP board.  It'd be nice in my programs that are designed to
run at normal GS fast speed to have the speed switch automatically,
rather than leave it up to the user to switch the speed setting.

Please mail replies to mock@iris.ucdavis.edu.

    "When you make your mark in the world, watch out for guys with erasers."
      - Wall Street Journal.    (Appropriate, as I just got my BS in EECS)
GEnie : K.MOCK        Net : mock@iris.ucdavis.edu, mock@alderon.lanl.gov

AABENSON@MTUS5.BITNET (01/15/91)

Naughty!  Naughty!  Apple says that you should simply inform the user that
the computer should be at a different speed (or whatever), but not make
the changes yourself, even WITH THE USER'S permission.  On the other hand,
since when do people do as Apple say?

- Andrew.  (aabenson@balance.cs.mtu.edu     or    aabenson@mtu.edu)

In article <9104161727.AA06654@alw.nih.gov> JDA@CU.NIH.GOV ("Doug Ashbrook") writes:
>      8 Mhz,  8K cache $178.95
>      8 Mhz, 16K cache $198.90
>      8 Mhz, 32K cache $228.??
>      8 Mhz, 64K cache $278.25

	Nobody answered my previous questions, so I'll ask again.

	Is the Zip USER upgradable? Can I just get more RAM chips for
the cache and/or buy a faster CPU and just plop it in??
--
/unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu Apple IIGS Forever! WANT ULTIMA VI //e or GS?-mail me.\
\CHEAP CDs info-mail me. McIntosh Junior:  The Power to Crush the Other Kids. /

JCC118@psuvm.psu.edu (You) (04/19/91)

I just received a product info letter from Zip today.  From what I can make of
it, they are selling 7mhz at $150 with 16k cache.  If you want anything faster,
 you have to order an upgrade.  I thought they had different boards, and you co
uld order the one you wanted, and then upgrade if you wanted to.  Do you buy a
"bare board" and then upgrade it, has it always been like this?  Just wanted to
 know.
 String.

 P.S. I know some of you out there live to treat people like they are stupid, p
lease refrain.

bazyar@ernie (Jawaid Bazyar) (04/19/91)

In article <14665@darkstar.ucsc.edu> unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:

>	Nobody answered my previous questions, so I'll ask again.
>
>	Is the Zip USER upgradable? Can I just get more RAM chips for
>the cache and/or buy a faster CPU and just plop it in??

   Yes.

  At least that's what the Zip lady told me.

--
Jawaid Bazyar               |  "Twenty seven faces- with their eyes turned to
Senior/Computer Engineering |    the sky. I have got a camera, and an airtight

PYC121@URIACC.URI.EDU (Andy Kress) (04/19/91)

    I was wondering.  Is there a noticable difference between 8k cache to
 a 64k cache?  I mean is it really worth hundreds more for 56k of memory?
 Im going to buy one of these things and could really use some more detailed
 info.  Thanks much!

                                       Andy Kress
                                       PYC121 AT URIACC.URI.EDU

             Apple II:  The power to take over the world!

bazyar@ernie (Jawaid Bazyar) (04/20/91)

In article <9104191500.AA14900@apple.com> PYC121@URIACC.URI.EDU (Andy Kress) writes:
>    I was wondering.  Is there a noticable difference between 8k cache to
> a 64k cache?  I mean is it really worth hundreds more for 56k of memory?
> Im going to buy one of these things and could really use some more detailed
> info.  Thanks much!

  Most assuredly so.  Doubling the cache from 16k to 32k in the Transwarp
increases performance more than going from 7MHz to 10MHz (in fact, without
a cache size increase, 10MHz doesn't buy you much).  The size of the
cache (and it's basic design) are the most important aspects of an accelerator
board.
  You can, however, do the upgrade on the Zips yourself- they'll send you
instructions with the card. I'm sure they're quite simple.

--
Jawaid Bazyar               |  "Twenty seven faces- with their eyes turned to
Senior/Computer Engineering |    the sky. I have got a camera, and an airtight
bazyar@cs.uiuc.edu          |     alibi.."
   Apple II Forever!        |  I need a job... Be priviliged to pay me! :-)

Larry.Lee@f438.n109.z1.Fidonet.Org (Larry Lee) (04/20/91)

YES the Zip GSX is upgradeable.  But you cannot keep your warranty valid

Whether you buy from them or not is your own decision, though.

 * Origin: Europa BBS (301) 718-4690 HST/DS 14.4k (1:109/438)

In article <9104191500.AA14900@apple.com> PYC121@URIACC.URI.EDU (Andy Kress) writes:
>    I was wondering.  Is there a noticable difference between 8k cache to
> a 64k cache?  I mean is it really worth hundreds more for 56k of memory?
> Im going to buy one of these things and could really use some more detailed
> info.  Thanks much!

	Just go out and buy your OWN 64K RAM chip. I don't know what speed it
should be, nor if it's a SRAM vs. a DRAM, but someone else will give those
details..

	Just go to an electronics shop and buy the right size/kind/speed
of RAM chip and pop it in. Jawaid or another frequent comp.sys.apple2-er
answered a question of mine and said it was user-upgradable.
--
/unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu Apple IIGS Forever! WANT ULTIMA VI //e or GS?-mail me.\
\CHEAP CDs info-mail me. McIntosh Junior:  The Power to Crush the Other Kids. /

scottr@gnh-applesauce.cts.com (Scott Rothstein) (04/20/91)

It is meant to be user upgradeable -- the cache especially is easy to upgrade.

The warranty states: "Any alteration to the ZipGS (such as cache size or
processor speed adjustments) without the use of Zip Technology supplied parts
voids [the] warranty." Nothing about Zip or a dealer having to do the work.
//////////////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
\  Internet: scottr@gnh-applesauce.cts.com   /\    I.D.F.:    /\ 'tis  but /
/  AKA:   Monte                              \/  no retreat   \/ a scratch \
\  Applesauce BBS: (212) 721-4122            /\  no surrender /\ -- M.P.   /
\   Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered, weak and weary,         /
/                                                   -- Edgar Allan Poe     \
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\//////////////////////////////////////

whitewolf@gnh-starport.cts.com (Tae Song) (04/21/91)

|        Nobody answered my previous questions, so I'll ask again.
|
|        Is the Zip USER upgradable? Can I just get more RAM chips for
|the cache and/or buy a faster CPU and just plop it in??

Yes, didn't you read the ad?
INET: whitewolf@gnh-starport.cts.com
UUCP: crash!gnh-starport!whitewolf
ARPA: crash!gnh-starport!whitewolf@nosc.mil

jnb@sactoh0.sac.ca.us (Jeff Behl) (05/06/91)

I've been hearing about the new Zip card out for the gs that's around
$149 and is basically the same as the trasnwarp gs (speed/cache).
Could someone tell me what model number it is?  And is it available
through mail order yet?  This card seems like the accelerator I've been
looking for.  It's cheap, and it is upgradeable!  If anyone has any more
info (exact price/speed/cache/upgradeability (is that a word?)) please
post.
Thanks..
--
                      -As you go around the corners of life
                         never signal and always leave skid marks

  AOL:  JeffdeSac             Internet:  jnb@sactoh0.SAC.CA.USA

philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) (05/06/91)

In article <1991May5.175132.28235@sactoh0.sac.ca.us> jnb@sactoh0.sac.ca.us (Jeff Behl) writes:
>I've been hearing about the new Zip card out for the gs that's around
>$149 and is basically the same as the trasnwarp gs (speed/cache).
>Could someone tell me what model number it is?  And is it available
>through mail order yet?  This card seems like the accelerator I've been
>looking for.  It's cheap, and it is upgradeable!  If anyone has any more
>info (exact price/speed/cache/upgradeability (is that a word?)) please
>post.

Zip has standardized on one card. It is called the Zip GS. They seem to have
an introductory offer( seem only refers to the introductory- this is the
price) of $149.95 (money back guarantee=30 days). This gets you a 7MHz
DMA compatible board which is totally upgradable.If you want an extra
8k of cache, this will set you back an extra $19.95. You can also order
an 8 or 9MHz upgrade( and a 32k cache upgrade-> or 64k cache!).

At $149.95 this card is, in my opinion, just what the GS needs. Perhaps the
8k cache upgrade( giving you 16k) might be a good idea, but the board is
certainly adequate as is.

I do not work for Zip, but I am a very happy customer.

You can order one at 1-800-937-9737. Hmm...am I advertising here!?

Philip McDunnough
University of Toronto
philip@utstat.utoronto.ca
[my opinions,etc...]

scotth@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Scott Henderson) (05/07/91)

In article <1991May6.000320.2467@utstat.uucp> philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) writes:
>an introductory offer( seem only refers to the introductory- this is the
>price) of $149.95 (money back guarantee=30 days). This gets you a 7MHz
>DMA compatible board which is totally upgradable.If you want an extra
>8k of cache, this will set you back an extra $19.95. You can also order
>an 8 or 9MHz upgrade( and a 32k cache upgrade-> or 64k cache!).
>
>At $149.95 this card is, in my opinion, just what the GS needs. Perhaps the
>8k cache upgrade( giving you 16k) might be a good idea, but the board is
>certainly adequate as is.
>
>I do not work for Zip, but I am a very happy customer.
>
>You can order one at 1-800-937-9737. Hmm...am I advertising here!?

I thought I'd mention that I ordered one last week and now have my GS
flying at 9 mhz.  The Zip also comes with a cute little HyperStudio
stack that makes instalation easy for even technical neophytes to
insert the Zip.

I was disappointed about two things:

1)  The manual says that the cable is long enough to allow the card
    fit in slots 1-4.  My cable ONLY allows the card to be installed
    in slot 3 (no big deal, slot three is basically the standard slot
    for such things anyway).

2)  Zip stopped including the expansion port (similar to that found
    on the Transwarp) on the card (at least mine doesn't have it).
    This means that IF any device needs the expansion port, I'll have
    to send it in for an upgrade.

 However, the Zip seems to out perform the Transwarp in every category
except heat production :-) .  The Transwarp is like a furnace in the
motherboard when compared to the Zip.

-Scott

--
=  R. Scott Henderson		       =   main ()                           =
=  University of Illinois              =   {                                 =

jorgi@cs.uow.edu.au (George B Zamroz) (05/07/91)

scotth@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Scott Henderson) writes:

>I thought I'd mention that I ordered one last week and now have my GS
>flying at 9 mhz.  The Zip also comes with a cute little HyperStudio
>stack that makes instalation easy for even technical neophytes to
>insert the Zip.

>I was disappointed about two things:

>1)  The manual says that the cable is long enough to allow the card
>    fit in slots 1-4.  My cable ONLY allows the card to be installed
>    in slot 3 (no big deal, slot three is basically the standard slot
>    for such things anyway).

>2)  Zip stopped including the expansion port (similar to that found
>    on the Transwarp) on the card (at least mine doesn't have it).
>    This means that IF any device needs the expansion port, I'll have
>    to send it in for an upgrade.

> However, the Zip seems to out perform the Transwarp in every category
>except heat production :-) .  The Transwarp is like a furnace in the
>motherboard when compared to the Zip.

I tried a Transwarp GS shortly after they first came out (I have been shopping
at my local Apple dealer for so long that they let me try things out before
I buy). I was disappointed in the product. Installation proved to be a real
problem, and the card was far from reliable (Appleworks GS would crash at
Transwarp speed).

Last week I received my Zip GSX. It did suffer from one problem that I had with
the Transwarp (my CPU socket seems to be a bit wider than normal so I had to
bend the pins on the connector out a bit so that it would be a snug fit).
However, the rest of the installation was easy, and the card has performed
flawlessly. While I am sure that the Transwarp GS has improved since it came
out, I still feel the the Zip GSX is a better product.

The software support is better: there is a CDev, CDA and an Init, with an NDA
on the way. I don't care much for the NDA, since the CDev provides the same
functionality. I like being able the change the processor speed in various
increments. It is especially nice for games, since you can pick the speed that
suits you best.

The cable on my card (it still has the expansion connector on it), it long
enough to reach slots 1-4, but I still put it in slot 3.

The Hyperstudio stack would be especially useful for people who aren't
familiar with installing cards in their GS.

That's all for now.
--
George B. Zamroz, University of Wollongong, Australia
Masters Student (Computer Science)

stc7@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Steven T Chiang) (05/07/91)

In article <1991May7.060235.23865@cs.uow.edu.au> jorgi@cs.uow.edu.au (George B Zamroz) writes:

>The software support is better: there is a CDev, CDA and an Init, with an NDA
>on the way. I don't care much for the NDA, since the CDev provides the same
>functionality. I like being able the change the processor speed in various
>increments. It is especially nice for games, since you can pick the speed that
>suits you best.

	I'm not arguing that TWGS is a better accelerator than the Zip
GS, because I don't think I can justify that.

	But I am willing to argue about the above point.  The TWGS has
the CDA in rom, which makes it infinitely better than the Zip's
cda/cdev/nda etc.  For those who don't always boot into gs/os, it
makes switching speeds MUCH easier.  As for NDA's and CDEV's they
exist, but they were just written by third party authors... maybe AE
couldn't afford the disk...  8)

	I'll give you the fact that the Zip CDA supports a lot of
different options, which is nice, but the fact that it has to be
loaded in is a disadvantage.

Steven Chiang                  Coming Soon:  DreamGrafix  3200 color power
stc7@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu
America On_Line:  DWS Steve    Apple IIgs Forever!

toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (05/08/91)

scotth@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Scott Henderson) writes:

>1)  The manual says that the cable is long enough to allow the card
>    fit in slots 1-4.  My cable ONLY allows the card to be installed
>    in slot 3 (no big deal, slot three is basically the standard slot
>    for such things anyway).

This is a recent change for increased reliability. A lot of people were
having trouble with the Zip crashing if the cable was that long. The new
shorter cable has made things work in a LOT of systems, especially those
that have lots of peripherals.

>2)  Zip stopped including the expansion port (similar to that found
>    on the Transwarp) on the card (at least mine doesn't have it).
>    This means that IF any device needs the expansion port, I'll have
>    to send it in for an upgrade.

Nope, you'll have to find somebody with a rev 1.02 or earlier. The expansion
port was dropped permanently, because (a) it introduces a lot of noise and
is suspected of causing problems on some people's systems, and (b) Zip decided
that nobody was going to take significant advantage of it and therefore no one
would really miss it.

Zip is far more concerned about cutting down on the number of people whose
systems are noisy and accelerator hostile.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

granite@pro-merlin.cts.com (George 'Chip' Griffin) (05/19/91)

I am not sure that TransWarp has inproved at all since it came out.  While I
have been generally thrilled with the products and service from AE, the
TransWarp just does not live up to its reputation.  I had my TWGS replaced 4
times during the Warranty period, even though I spend most of the year at sea,
and yet I still have a inoperable TWGS.  Mine frequently (too much soo to be
dependable) unceramoniously drops the user into an odd looking lo-res graphics
type screen.

Live Free or Die!
        -= Granite =-
        G.Griffin