[comp.sys.apple2] DOC RAM on ROM 03

taob@micor.ocunix.on.ca (Brian Tao) (05/19/91)

    I've been told that there is some sort of "softswitch" (an undocumented
feature?) on the ROM 03 machines that will let you bank-switch two 64K
chunks of memory in and out of the Ensoniq's DOC memory.  Someone else
pointed out that this feature "has been around since the first system".  I
have never heard of such a thing.  Can some verify this?

--
Brian T. Tao   *B-)  |  taob@micor.ocunix.on.ca  |  "Though this be
2705-1510 Riverside  |           - or -          |   madness, yet there

daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Dave Huang) (05/20/91)

In article <RFB823w162w@micor.ocunix.on.ca> taob@micor.ocunix.on.ca (Brian Tao) writes:
>    I've been told that there is some sort of "softswitch" (an undocumented
>feature?) on the ROM 03 machines that will let you bank-switch two 64K
>chunks of memory in and out of the Ensoniq's DOC memory.  Someone else
>pointed out that this feature "has been around since the first system".  I
>have never heard of such a thing.  Can some verify this?

Yes, there is an extended addressing thing in one of the DOC
registers, but since all GS's have 64K of DOC ram, that bit should
always be 0. It's a DOC feature, not a GS-specific feature, so it's
been around since ROM 00, but you can't do anything with it. There
were rumors that ROM 3 had 128K of DOC ram, but they were just rumors...

>--
>Brian T. Tao   *B-)  |  taob@micor.ocunix.on.ca  |  "Though this be
>2705-1510 Riverside  |           - or -          |   madness, yet there
>Ottawa, ON  K1G 4X5  |      taob@micor.uucp      |   is method in 't."
--
David Huang                                 |
Internet: daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu          |     "Help! My ganglion is

In article <RFB823w162w@micor.ocunix.on.ca> taob@micor.ocunix.on.ca (Brian Tao) writes:

>    I've been told that there is some sort of "softswitch" (an undocumented
>feature?) on the ROM 03 machines that will let you bank-switch two 64K
>chunks of memory in and out of the Ensoniq's DOC memory.  Someone else
>pointed out that this feature "has been around since the first system".  I
>have never heard of such a thing.  Can some verify this?
>
>--
>Brian T. Tao   *B-)  |  taob@micor.ocunix.on.ca  |  "Though this b

I think I accidentally started this rumor a couple of weeks ago when talking
to some people online.  It was part of a "which of these things isn't true?"
contest to which I refused to give the answer.  :)

It's totally false.  There is only 64K of DOC RAM on all IIgs systems, and
it's not switchable.
Matt Deatherage, Developer Technical  | The opinions expressed herein are
Support, Apple Computer, Inc.         | not those of Apple Computer, and
Personal mail only, please.  Thanks.  | shame on you for thinking otherwise.
^^^^^^^^ Technical questions are not personal. Please post them instead.