[comp.sys.apple2] DOC RAM

ujmurphy@KING.MCS.DREXEL.EDU (Jim Murphy) (05/20/91)

Brian Tao writes:

>     I've been told that there is some sort of "softswitch" (an undocumented
> feature?) on the ROM 03 machines that will let you bank-switch two 64K
> chunks of memory in and out of the Ensoniq's DOC memory.  Someone else
> pointed out that this feature "has been around since the first system".  I
> have never heard of such a thing.  Can some verify this?
>
> --
> Brian T. Tao   *B-)  |  taob@micor.ocunix.on.ca  |  "Though this be
> 2705-1510 Riverside  |           - or -          |   madness, yet there
> Ottawa, ON  K1G 4X5  |      taob@micor.uucp      |   is method in 't."

     Well, the DOC has a mode called Extended Addressing wherein it can
access 128K of RAM. You can access this mode by setting bit 6 in any of the
wavetable size registers. Unfortunately, since the IIGS only uses 64K for
the sound RAM and has no high memory bank available, this bit must always be
set to zero. So, in conclusion, the answer is no, the IIGS as we know it
cannot access two 64K banks. Sorry.

Jim Murphy                             "I know that you believe you understand
Internet:  ujmurphy@mcs.drexel.edu     what you think I said. But I am not sure
GEnie:     J.MURPHY7                   you realize that what you heard is not
AOL:       Jim Murphy                  what I meant."