[comp.sys.apple2] ZipGS vs Transwarp compatibility

lecates@chopin.udel.edu (Roy M Lecates) (05/17/91)

I am considering purchasing an accelerator for my GS.  First I'd like to
research the two options.

Has anyone had any un-correctable problems with the ZipGS?  Does it function
properly with AE's products (Audio Animator, PC Transporter, DataLink Express,
Vulcan 100 in particular).  If anyone uses the ZipGS with any of these, please
e-mail me with a short status report regarding performance.

Thanks in advance.

Roy LeCates
lecates@chopin.udel.edu

ericmcg@pnet91.cts.com (Eric Mcgillicuddy) (05/18/91)

The ZipGS is not particularly compatible with Proterm 2.2, other than that I
have had not difficulties.

UUCP: bkj386!pnet91!ericmcg
INET: ericmcg@pnet91.cts.com

jefft@panix.uucp (Jeff Tarr) (05/19/91)

In <741@generic.UUCP> ericmcg@pnet91.cts.com (Eric Mcgillicuddy) writes:

>The ZipGS is not particularly compatible with Proterm 2.2, other than that I
>have had not difficulties.

What do you mean it does not work well with ProTerm 2.2?  I don't own a
ZipGS, but have used one with ProTerm and not had any problems.(?)

--
---

Jeff Tarr, Jr.
Sysop:  AppleSauce BBS - 212/721-4122  Apple II and Macintosh Support.

ericmcg@pnet91.cts.com (Eric Mcgillicuddy) (05/19/91)

>What do you mean it does not work well with ProTerm 2.2?  I don't own a
>ZipGS, but have used one with ProTerm and not had any problems.(?)
>
>Jeff Tarr, Jr.
>Sysop:  AppleSauce BBS - 212/721-4122  Apple II and Macintosh Support.

The Zip must be slowed down for transfers, I find 50% is good enough, but full
speed will drop you into the monitor. I as having other problems, mainly with
saving captured text to disk (binscii's et al), but this has "gotten better"
with usage, I don't know why. I assume 3.0 will fix this, but I have not hear
d anything about it.

UUCP: bkj386!pnet91!ericmcg
INET: ericmcg@pnet91.cts.com

gtolar@xcluud.sccsi.com (Glynne Tolar) (05/20/91)

ericmcg@pnet91.cts.com (Eric Mcgillicuddy) writes:

> The ZipGS is not particularly compatible with Proterm 2.2, other than that I
> have had not difficulties.
>
> UUCP: bkj386!pnet91!ericmcg
> INET: ericmcg@pnet91.cts.com

I'm using ProTERM 2.2 right now with a ZipChip GSX @9Mhz and 16k cache and
having NO problems with it.  Check your board's version number.  If you have
anything below version 1.02 then send it to Zip for a free upgrade.  That
will fix your ProTERM problems.

You can paint it all kinds of pretty colors and have speakers give it glowing
reviews, but abrotion is still baby killing.
gtolar@xcluud.sccsi.com <-or-> uunet!nuchat!xcluud!gtolar
I didn't write the organization or path.  I just use it.

alfter@nevada.edu (SCOTT ALFTER) (05/20/91)

In article <748@generic.UUCP> ericmcg@pnet91.cts.com (Eric Mcgillicuddy) writes:
>[someone else writes:]
>>What do you mean it does not work well with ProTerm 2.2?  I don't own a
>>ZipGS, but have used one with ProTerm and not had any problems.(?)
>The Zip must be slowed down for transfers, I find 50% is good enough, but full
>speed will drop you into the monitor.

Sounds strange.  Going off the subject of GS accelerators a little
bit, I run the RocketChip in my IIe at full speed and have no problems
with ProTERM.  (However, you do run into timing trouble with the
AppleNet BBS package; a few POKEs in ANET.FILES and ANET.UTILITIES
will slow down the accelerator only during transfers.)

Ask me about SoftDAC!  Play Mac sounds  / v \ on your Apple II!
Internet: alfter@uns-helios.nevada.edu (    ( Apple II:
   GEnie: S.ALFTER                      \_^_/ the power to be your best!