[comp.sys.apple2] Agate

ggray@wpi.wpi.edu (Gary P Gray) (05/28/90)

I ran across the Agate program recently on GEnie.  It's a DHR graphics based
ANSI terminal emulator that works on any Apple //, and is able to keep up with
input at 2400 baud running at 1Mhz.  Needless to say, I was quite impressed
with this.  The author said (in a doc file dated ~Dec 1989) that the program
would be finished in the new year sometime, and all of the features listed in
the doc file would be available.  Has anyone heard from this person recently?
He's from somewhere in Canada (small place, right? :)

Anyway, the program as I have it is fairly impressive, despite being very
seriously brain damaged.  The main options menu won't pop up as advertised,
and the roll back buffer doesn't work.  The startup screen looks like one of
the banks of the picture was fried, so the copy I have may have been munged
somewhere along the line.

So, is this thing old news?  As it is, it's not useful to most people (only
die hard ANSI graphics fans maybe) but with upload/download and some bug
fixes, it should be a great product.  It's hard to think that this program has
been floating around unnoticed for some time. At this point it's a neat demo
of what clever programming can do (if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes I
would have scoffed at the idea...)

(if there is a great deal of interest I will post it to
comp.binaries.apple2)

--
-- WARNING!!! The above opinions may be HAZARDOUS or FATAL if swallowed!!! --
 "My mind is going... I can feel it...    |  Gary Gray -- ggray@wpi.wpi.edu

lyle@netcom.UUCP (Lyle Fong) (05/29/90)

Well.. AGATE is a potentially good product, but currently, it really lacks
many features.  VT100 is NOT IBM-ANSI..  It is more of a subset of ANSI.
If you run AGATE, and call a IBM board, any color code will screw up
the screen.. either with wierd numbers and characters or clear the entire
screen to unreadable lengths..  It does have a lot of the special character
codes, however.. but the text is barely readable..  partly due to the
horrible fonts.. which you can change, but is very tedious work.

The worst problem with it is the lack of a quit feature..  running it from my
hard drive, and having to reboot everytime I run it is not fun.  It is very
buggy.. crashing at wierd times..  even when you type in a telephone number.
There is no way the color could be achieved on DHR with decent resolution..
so he should have just interpreted the color codes as nothing..

A friend of mine, however, is currently working on a IIgs specific ANSI program.I've seen the beta version, and it really is impressive..  all the IBM
characters, color.. and all.  With direct calls to the screen, it bypasses
the toolbox, and therefore, doesn't sacrifice any speed drawbacks.

The only problem he has is that on a IIgs.. in 640 mode with DECENT text, you
can't have dithering.. which leaves you with 4 colors.  He can change the
palettes, but with only 4 colors per line, he has to use only the colors that
are most used..  but.. it still looks very good.

He has a lot of school work to catch up on,.. but he should be finished in
a few months.  (dunno how he is planning to distribute it.. as shareware
or whatever)

Will keep you posted on the progress..

Lyle

--

- America Online - Lyle Fong
- OggNET         - Corned Beef (#317/Dragon's Lair)

ggray@wpi.wpi.edu (Gary P Gray) (05/29/90)

In article <12591@netcom.UUCP> lyle@netcom.UUCP (Lyle Fong) writes:
>If you run AGATE, and call a IBM board, any color code will screw up
>the screen.. either with wierd numbers and characters or clear the entire
>screen to unreadable lengths..  It does have a lot of the special character
>codes, however.. but the text is barely readable..  partly due to the
>horrible fonts.. which you can change, but is very tedious work.

???? I called up an IBM board that makes extensive use of colors.  I had no
problem (the colors obviously didn't come out, but it didn't screw things.)
The fonts are really terrible.  Using this thing for longish periods of time
will probably kill your eyes.

>The worst problem with it is the lack of a quit feature..  running it from my
>hard drive, and having to reboot everytime I run it is not fun.  It is very
>buggy.. crashing at wierd times..  even when you type in a telephone number.

Yeah, I really hate rebooting every time.  This obviously is nowhere near a
even a beta test, more like a demo.  Totally unuseable but a neat demo.

>There is no way the color could be achieved on DHR with decent resolution..
>so he should have just interpreted the color codes as nothing..

I think he did.  I had no problems with recieveing color codes.  I did have a
big problem when I attemtped to use it as a VT-100 on my mainframe.  Crash
city.

I'll probably post this to comp.binaries.apple2 on Wednesday, since I have
recieved a few requests.

--
-- WARNING!!! The above opinions may be HAZARDOUS or FATAL if swallowed!!! --
 "My mind is going... I can feel it...    |  Gary Gray -- ggray@wpi.wpi.edu
  I can feel it..."                       |  GEnie: GGRAY6
                     (This space unintentionally left blank)

mquinn@pro-gsplus.cts.com (Michael Quinn) (05/31/90)

That ANSI terminal thing sounds like what I've been waiting for, for a long
time!  I'm definately interrested!  I'm curious if he ever finished it too.
Anyone else?
     __
    /  \
    |  |
   /   /  mquinn@pro-gsplus.cts.com
  /    \______________
_/       _____________)
       _(_)_____)
     /(_)______)
   -    (_)___)
_____________/

ggray@wpi.wpi.edu (Gary P Gray) (06/01/90)

I have posted the Agate ANSI terminal emulator to comp.binaries.apple2

Yes, it is severly brain damaged, so you didn't get a bad copy.  The only
thing you can really do with it is oooh and ahhhh at the fact that a terminal
emulator using a graphics screen can keep up with a 2400 baud modem.  Again,
any futher info on the author would be appreciated (I could write to him, and
maybe I will, Real Soon Now :)

--
-- WARNING!!! The above opinions may be HAZARDOUS or FATAL if swallowed!!! --
 "My mind is going... I can feel it...    |  Gary Gray -- ggray@wpi.wpi.edu
  I can feel it..."                       |  GEnie: GGRAY6
                     (This space unintentionally left blank)

paul.l@gnh-applesauce.cts.com (Paul Langhorn) (06/06/90)

Well, don't get too excited about Agate, since the emulation is pretty bad.
It's just a little better than vt-100, but not much. It doesn't support colors
and the fancy graphics characters, so until a new version comes out, I'm not
really using it because it's still got tons of bugs, two of which are quite
noticeable: the only way to exit the program is to reboot; scrollback doesn't
work.

 /+%+%+%+%+%+%+%+%+%+%+%+%+%+%+%+%+%+%+%+%+%+%+%+%+%+%+%+%+%+%+%+%+%+%+%+%+%+\
 &                                                                           &
 &           Paul Langhorn      INET:paul.l@gnh-applesauce.cts.com           &
 &                                                                           &
 &   To Quote A Very Wise Creature:   "Do... or Do Not;  There Is No Try."   &
 &                                                                           &
 \+%+%+%+%+%+%+%+%+%+%+%+%+%+%+%+%+%+%+%+%+%+%+%+%+%+%+%+%+%+%+%+%+%+%+%+%+%+/

car32596@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Radically Saved) (03/01/91)

     I recently downloaded the Agate terminal emulator program from W.U.
archives.  I noticed that the one I downloaded is a test version and as such
is lacking some of the features (the Options Menu, for example).  Is there a
newer version of Agate floating around the archive universe somewhere or is
it still under development.  (Or is there an older version that has most of the
specified options still out there?)  Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Collin Rich
<car32596@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu>

WAXMONRW@SNYBUFVA.BITNET (03/30/91)

Rober Rodriguez asked:

>Also, has anyone got the MS/DOS IBM version of Kermit working (version 3.01)
>or IBM's FTTERM product with a PC Transporter? The generic MS/DOS Kermit
>works but doesn't support terminal emulation. The IBM-specific version
>works at 1200 baud, but hangs at 2400. FTTERM won't boot up at all after
>you select the modem configuration.

No, I have not been able to get version 3.00 or version 3.01 of the MS/DOS
version of Kermit to run on the PCT, at least not at 2400 baud. I have not
tried to at 1200 baud.

I have replaced MS/DOS's Kermit with Telix; it has the Kermit protocol
built in and is easier to use. To use Telix you would need a new driver,
one which is available on GENIE. Without the driver, Telix does not work on
most (but not all PCTs).

Ray Waxmonksy (waxmonrw@snybufva)

MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET (03/30/91)

On Fri, 29 Mar 91 12:40:00 EST <WAXMONRW%SNYBUFVA.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU> said:

>I have replaced MS/DOS's Kermit with Telix; it has the Kermit protocol
>built in and is easier to use. To use Telix you would need a new driver,
>one which is available on GENIE. Without the driver, Telix does not work on
>most (but not all PCTs).
>
>Ray Waxmonksy (waxmonrw@snybufva)

I have Telix for the PCT too and all of it works, EXCEPT for the Kermit
protocol.  (of course that one wouldn't work... it's the one I need most!):
Did you have to do anything special to get it the kermit protocol working?

  BITNET--  mquinn@utcvm    <------------send files here
  pro-line-- mquinn@pro-gsplus.cts.com

lhaider@pro-nbs.cts.com (Laer Haider) (03/30/91)

>I have replaced MS/DOS's Kermit with Telix; it has the Kermit protocol
>built in and is easier to use. To use Telix you would need a new driver,
>one which is available on GENIE. Without the driver, Telix does not work
>on most (but not all PCTs).

What driver is that?  If it is PD or SW, could you mail me a ZIP'd copy?
I've been having buku problems trying to run telecom programs on the PCT.
AE tells me that there is no current fix for it, and they don't plan to
release any fixes.  It's just one of the limitations of the card (their
support for Apple II products is going to hell).  In case you're wondering
what I'm talking about, it's that the PCT drops characters whenever it is
sending data to a storage device; whether it's a floppy or a RAM disk.
This makes it nearly impossible to get a download through the PCT.  That
was great news to get at a $1.50 a minute!  And I was just trying to order
the new version of the PCT software, for $39.00 + shipping!  I WILL NEVER
PURCHASE ANOTHER APPLIED ENGINEERING PRODUCT, **EVER**!

                /    _______________________________________________
 \             / /   ProLine:  pro-nbs!lhaider
  \\\' ,      / //      INET:  lhaider@pro-nbs.cts.com
   \\\//,   _/ //,      UUCP:  crash!pro-nbs!lhaider
    \_-//' /  //<,      ARPA:  crash!pro-nbs!lhaider@nosc.mil
      \ ///  <//`     BITNET:  lhaider%pro-nbs.cts.com@nosc.mil
      /  >>  \\\`__/_
     /,)-^>>\` , \\\   The opinions express here are just opinions.
     (/   \\ /\\\      Don't have a cow man!
         // _//\\\\   -----------------------------------------------
       ((` ((

ag0514@leah.albany.edu (Andy Goldstein) (04/07/91)

I just DL'd Agate from America Online and found that it has no file transfer
capability.  Did someone mention on the group that it has Zmodem?  If it does
have Zmodem now, where can I get a current copy?
Andy Goldstein
Internet: ag0514@leah.albany.edu
  Bitnet: ag0514@albny1vx.bitnet
America Online: GOLDSTEIN

alfter@nevada.edu (SCOTT ALFTER) (04/08/91)

In article <1991Apr7.231953.10726@utstat.uucp> philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) writes:
>At least Agate069 has a "correct" version of zmodem that works. It certainly
>is not the answer for GS users( that will have to wait a bit), but can you
>indicate another program which handles ANSI, vt100, and zmodem/ymodem?

Where's this version of AGATE?  The only version I've seen doesn't do
file transfers at all, let alone a real ZMODEM (as opposed to
ProTERM's "ZMODEM").

Scott Alfter-----------------------------_/_----------------------------
Support Operation Apple Storm!          / v \ Apple II:
Internet: alfter@uns-helios.nevada.edu (    ( the power to be your best!
   GEnie: S.ALFTER                      \_^_/

cchen@xcluud.sccsi.com (Conway Chen) (05/23/91)

Would someone please post the latest verison of AGATE, since it is nable
anwhere around here...
Thanks...(To comp.binaries.apple2 I mean...)

--
Conway Chen
cchen@xcluud.sccsi.com