[comp.sys.apple2] ProTERM

lloyd@pro-grouch.cts.com (Lloyd Licht) (06/07/90)

Another bug I noticed in ProTerm 2.1 is you can't upload via ASCII if your
text file and ProTerm program are both in /ram5.  Puts you in monitor.

Lloyd

UUCP: crash!pro-grouch!lloyd
ARPA: crash!pro-grouch!lloyd@nosc.mil
INET: lloyd@pro-grouch.cts.com

Greg.Bear@samba.acs.unc.edu (BBS Account) (07/01/90)

Does anyone know if the new ProTERM (v2.2) has corrected the problem of
newline mode in vt100 emulation and generating a new line when a character
appears in the 80th column?  For the first, specifically the <ESC>20h and
<ESC>20l vt100 commands need to be functional.  Right now it just recognizes
the codes, but does not change anything.  On the 80th column wrap, according
to other vt-100 terminals, when a letter appears in the 80th column, the
cursor will not move until the next character is sent.  V2.1 generates a new
line, which messes up my usage of vi and reading messages/.sigs that use the
80th column.

		Greg.Bear@samba.acs.unc.edu

UD182050@NDSUVM1.BITNET (Mike Aos) (07/01/90)

In article <469@beguine.UUCP>, Greg.Bear@samba.acs.unc.edu (BBS Account) says:

>Does anyone know if the new ProTERM (v2.2) has corrected the problem of
>newline mode in vt100 emulation and generating a new line when a character
>appears in the 80th column?  For the first, specifically the <ESC>20h and
><ESC>20l vt100 commands need to be functional.  Right now it just recognizes
>the codes, but does not change anything.  On the 80th column wrap, according
>to other vt-100 terminals, when a letter appears in the 80th column, the
>cursor will not move until the next character is sent.  V2.1 generates a new
>line, which messes up my usage of vi and reading messages/.sigs that use the
>80th column.
>
>		Greg.Bear@samba.acs.unc.edu
I don't know if it fixes that problem specifically, but on BBS's that use ANSI,
I can set it to VT100, and get by.  It used to hand in some sections, and keep
printing the same line on top of itself, but ProTerm v2.2 fixes that.  It's
a joy to work with (older versions of ProTerm always seems to die on occasion
for me.)

Mike
-------
Mike

UD182050@NDSUVM1 (.Bitnet?)
UD182050@VM1.NoDak.Edu

I got LOTSA opinions.  You want one?  You can have it!

kusumoto@chsun1.uchicago.edu (Bob Kusumoto) (07/02/90)

Greg.Bear@samba.acs.unc.edu (BBS Account) writes:
>Does anyone know if the new ProTERM (v2.2) has corrected the problem of
>newline mode in vt100 emulation and generating a new line when a character
>appears in the 80th column?  For the first, specifically the <ESC>20h and
><ESC>20l vt100 commands need to be functional.  Right now it just recognizes
>the codes, but does not change anything.  On the 80th column wrap, according
>to other vt-100 terminals, when a letter appears in the 80th column, the
>cursor will not move until the next character is sent.  V2.1 generates a new
>line, which messes up my usage of vi and reading messages/.sigs that use the
>80th column.

This isn't really a problem with ProTERM's vt100 emulation, its really
ProTERM's lack of a wrap mode for the vt100 emualation that's giving you
a problem (after using various MS-DOS term programs, this is the basic
problem with vt100/vt102 emulations that come with them, no wrap mode).
Personally, I'd be demanding that they include a line wrap setting so you
can specify if the program should wrap or not. (I've only used v2.0 a couple
times, so forgive me if they've added some functionality since then.)

Bob
   Bob Kusumoto                              |    Find the electric messiah.
Internet:  kusumoto@chsun1.uchicago.edu      |          The AC-DC God.
Bitnet:    kusumoto@chsun1.uchicago.bitnet   | --- My Life with the Thrill Kill
UUCP:  ...!{oddjob,gargoyle}!chsun1!kusumoto |     Kult, "Kooler than Jesus"

root2@nuchat.UUCP (Guest sysadmin) (07/03/90)

In article <kusumoto.646932463@chsun1> kusumoto@chsun1.uchicago.edu (Bob Kusumoto) writes:
>This isn't really a problem with ProTERM's vt100 emulation, its really
>ProTERM's lack of a wrap mode for the vt100 emualation that's giving you
>a problem (after using various MS-DOS term programs, this is the basic
>problem with vt100/vt102 emulations that come with them, no wrap mode).
>Personally, I'd be demanding that they include a line wrap setting so you
>can specify if the program should wrap or not. (I've only used v2.0 a couple
>times, so forgive me if they've added some functionality since then.)
>Internet:  kusumoto@chsun1.uchicago.edu      |          The AC-DC God.

ProTERM does support wrap mode.  Perhaps you should read the documentation.
It can be toggled by a macro, or the command can be sent by the remote system.
On the vax I used to put a "set term/wrap" in my login file; under Unix I
echo the wrap on command found in the VT220 reference manual.  ProTERM accepts
the command and it works fine.

Jeff

Greg.Bear@samba.acs.unc.edu (BBS Account) (07/03/90)

(Where's the included article?  Great, and me on a real terminal now.)

ProTERM does recognize word wrap codes.  (I believe <ESC>[?7h and l.)
If it turn off word wrap, the cursor will stay in the 80th column after the
80th letter has printed.  And the 81st, 82nd, 83rd, etc.  I'd use that if
people would delimit lines at 80 columns at least.  With word wrap on, I can
see the longer lines, but lines that are exactly 80 columns move to the
next line immediately instead of staying where it is until the next character
is sent.  Just a basic bug in the word wrap code there.

The other I need is newline mode.  <ESC>20h and <ESC>20l is supposed to
set/reset that.  ProTERM recognizes those codes, but doesn't do anything
about it.

Newline mode means returns are sent as CR/LF instead of just CR, and that
received LFs get translated to CRs.

Oh, another thing, does the new software have a way to redefine the delete
key to a backspace and vice versa?  One of the mainframes here only uses
BS, and another only uses DEL, and the dialup between them is basically
random.

		Greg.Bear@bbs.acs.unc.edu

.x b:disclaimer

kusumoto@chsun1.uchicago.edu (Bob Kusumoto) (07/03/90)

ok, so it SUPPORTS word wrap, but it doesn't work like what I expect it to.

If I were to use an ms-dos term program (for example, procomm plus), I can
set word wrap from within the program, not by having some code sent to the
emulator.  This way, I can edit in vi with lines longer than 80 columms,
which if I understand the program correctly, is somewhat of a problem in
ProTERM.  Am I wrong?

In article <469@beguine.UUCP> Greg.Bear@samba.acs.unc.edu (BBS Account) writes:
>Does anyone know if the new ProTERM (v2.2) has corrected the problem of
>newline mode in vt100 emulation and generating a new line when a character
>appears in the 80th column?  For the first, specifically the <ESC>20h and
><ESC>20l vt100 commands need to be functional.  Right now it just recognizes
>the codes, but does not change anything.  On the 80th column wrap, according
>to other vt-100 terminals, when a letter appears in the 80th column, the
>cursor will not move until the next character is sent.  V2.1 generates a new
>line, which messes up my usage of vi and reading messages/.sigs that use the
>80th column.
>		Greg.Bear@samba.acs.unc.edu

	I know nothing about the vt100 specs themselves, but I spoke to
Greg Shaeffer (sp?) personally about this problem at AppleFest SF '88..
[When ProTERM 2.0 or 2.1 was announced]

	He said that ProTERM has two options, either go down a line [two
lines actually], or stay in the 80th column and keep printing characters
there until a linefeed is reached.  He said that that was the specs of the
vt100 definition.

	There was some explanation/excuse that it was Apple's firmware
at fault for the extra line... It seems to only bother me in vi though..

	Anyway, I've been using the televideo termtype since I gave up
on vt100 [for this problem exactly] and it works perfectly. I still use
vt100 on some bbs's...

--
  _    __       __           __       _     /-------------------------------\
 /_\  |__| |    __|(GS) |_| |_  \  / |_|   |    unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu       |

rond@pro-grouch.cts.com (Ron Dippold) (07/04/90)

> the codes, but does not change anything.  On the 80th column wrap,
> according to other vt-100 terminals, when a letter appears in the
> 80th column, the cursor will not move until the next character is sent.
> V2.1 generates a new line, which messes up my usage of vi and reading

Check your 2.1 docs....  The following commands (used in a macro) set VT100
stuff:

OP W+ or OP W-   Set wrap at col 80 on or off
OP K+ or OP K-   Set Keypad / Application  keypad
OP I+ op OP I-   Enable/disable inverse chars in VT-100 mode

UUCP: crash!pro-grouch!rond
ARPA: crash!pro-grouch!rond@nosc.mil
INET: rond@pro-grouch.cts.com

AABENSON@MTUS5.BITNET (12/12/90)

Proterm... Well, I finally got a neat little PATCH to fix mine.  Before that
I was always telling everybody what an incredibly useless pile of junk it
was.  It seemed to have this nasty habit of crashing or hanging every time
(almost) I'd try to upload or download anything.  A friend gave me a patch,
and it's been working fine ever since.

What WOULD be nice would be if you could set some options for the Kermit
transfers.  On this system here, we're using these ancient NIU's, and they
only handle 7 bits, so we have to call in on 7E1, which makes most types
of transfers impossible (like x-modem, for example).

Also, in reguards to getting FTP stuff to work, believe me, I've had my
share of problems -- just ask any of the people I harrassed for answers.
The first problem I had was that I wasn't setting BINARY (or Image) mode
of transfers.  This causes lots of problems.  Remember, even if it has a
".bsc" or ".bsq" on the end, make sure you notice that capital ".Z" after
it -- that means it's compressed, and if you don't transfer compressed
things binary, you get MAJOR problems.  I noticed that once when I
uncompressed a file, and came back later to find it had used 70 Megs! --
This was a 30k file to begin with.

Oh, the other problem was that Proterm always died.  I don't have the patch
for it anymore, just the patched program.

                                                      - Andrew.
Internet:  aabenson@balance.cs.mtu.edu
BITNET: AABENSON@MTUS5.BITNET

P.S.  Please email responses (to the Internet address) that you would like
replies to.

In article <91005.221046AABENSON@MTUS5.BITNET> AABENSON@MTUS5.BITNET writes:
>You use ProTERM?  How can you use that bug-infested program?  It's just
>completely aweful if you want to use it on a regular basis!  Of course, it
>COULD just be me -- you know, some of us silly people think that a program
>will work properly MOST of the times we use it!  Who were we kidding?!

	BUG infested? I think it's just you (as you suggested!)

	ProTERM 2.2 has never crashed on me, and 2.1 only crashed very
very rarely... I knew about the few bugs that made it hang or crash (like
changing disks before sending or receiving a file), and just simply
avoided them..

	I've never seen any program that comes anywhere near ProTERM...
The closest is Ascii Express... And that's way behind ProTERM (even though in
a few places Ascii Express is more powerful than AE)...

	I would just like to know what you don't like about it..
--
/Apple II(GS) Forever! unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu MAIL ME FOR INFO ABOUT CHEAP CDs\
\WRITE TO ORIGIN ABOUT ULTIMA VI //e and IIGS! Mail me for addresses, & info. /

JSDLG@ALASKA.BITNET ("Dixie Gustine") (01/06/91)

I'm a brand new subscriber to this list so this may be an OLD question,
but here goes.

What specifically is the difference between ProTERM v2.1 and v2.2?

Thanks!

Dixie
jsdlg@alaska.bitnet
jsdlg@acad1.alaska.edu

rat@madnix.UUCP (David Douthitt) (01/08/91)

unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:

| In article <91005.221046AABENSON@MTUS5.BITNET> AABENSON@MTUS5.BITNET writes:
| >You use ProTERM?  How can you use that bug-infested program?  It's just
| >completely aweful if you want to use it on a regular basis!

I agree.

| 	ProTERM 2.2 has never crashed on me, and 2.1 only crashed very
| very rarely...

Seemed to me it always wanted to crash after you went thru [I]nstall.
I never had any telecom program crash as much as that one - even if it
was only 3-6 times.  If I have to pay money for something, I expect it
to NEVER go into the monitor.

| 	I've never seen any program that comes anywhere near ProTERM...
| The closest is Ascii Express... And that's way behind ProTERM (even though in
| a few places Ascii Express is more powerful than AE)...

Gee.  That's what I use.

| 	I would just like to know what you don't like about it..

For me, it's several things:

	1. It crashes.
	2. IT DOES NOT USE INTERRUPTS!!  (this means it loses characters)
	3. The scripting is abominable and weak.
	4. The procedure for uploads and downloads is contorted and twisted.
	   When I do a ZModem download on my IBM, I don't have to do ANYTHING.
	   In ProTerm, I have to wade thru about 6 to 9 menus.  UUUGLLEEEEEEE.

	Probably the major thing is the premise behind all those menus.
	The idea is to HIDE the modem from you - (QUICK!  what's the modem
	access command?).  Gee, we users don't know DIDDLEY-SQUAT... gotta
	protect us morons from using the modem directy - heaven FORBID
	we should figure out what we are doing.

	(Sorry for the only half tongue-in-cheek tirade).  Apple did it some
	years ago before they were basically forced to come clean.
	IBM did it and failed when everyone else came out with tech manuals.

	When I use a program (like a telecom) I don't want it to bug me
	with menus unless I ASK for them.

	[Soapbox off]

And THAT's the way it was.  Good day!

--
! InterNet: deety!rat@spool.cs.wisc.edu           !  David Douthitt
! UUCP: ...uwvax!astroatc!nicmad!madnix!deety!rat !  Madison, Wisconsin

V2071A@VM.TEMPLE.EDU ("George A. Piotrowski Jr.") (01/10/91)

On 8 Jan 91 00:19:35 GMT you said:

>unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:
>|
>| In article <91005.221046AABENSON@MTUS5.BITNET> AABENSON@MTUS5.BITNET writes:
>| >You use ProTERM?  How can you use that bug-infested program?  It's just
>| >completely aweful if you want to use it on a regular basis!
>
>I agree.
>
>|     ProTERM 2.2 has never crashed on me, and 2.1 only crashed very
>| very rarely...
>
>Seemed to me it always wanted to crash after you went thru [I]nstall.
>I never had any telecom program crash as much as that one - even if it
>was only 3-6 times.  If I have to pay money for something, I expect it
>to NEVER go into the monitor.
>
>|     I've never seen any program that comes anywhere near ProTERM...
>| The closest is Ascii Express... And that's way behind ProTERM (even though in
>| a few places Ascii Express is more powerful than AE)...
>
>Gee.  That's what I use.
>
>|     I would just like to know what you don't like about it..
>
>For me, it's several things:
>
>    1. It crashes.
>    2. IT DOES NOT USE INTERRUPTS!!  (this means it loses characters)
>    3. The scripting is abominable and weak.
>    4. The procedure for uploads and downloads is contorted and twisted.
>       When I do a ZModem download on my IBM, I don't have to do ANYTHING.
>       In ProTerm, I have to wade thru about 6 to 9 menus.  UUUGLLEEEEEEE.
>
>    Probably the major thing is the premise behind all those menus.
>    The idea is to HIDE the modem from you - (QUICK!  what's the modem
>    access command?).  Gee, we users don't know DIDDLEY-SQUAT... gotta
>    protect us morons from using the modem directy - heaven FORBID
>    we should figure out what we are doing.

[Stuff Deleted]
>    When I use a program (like a telecom) I don't want it to bug me
>    with menus unless I ASK for them.
>
>    [Soapbox off]
>
>And THAT's the way it was.  Good day!
>
>--
>! InterNet: deety!rat@spool.cs.wisc.edu           !  David Douthitt
>! UUCP: ...uwvax!astroatc!nicmad!madnix!deety!rat !  Madison, Wisconsin
>!                   {decvax!att}!                 !  === Apple II Forever ===
>! Home of Mad Apple Forth and the Tiger Toolbox   !  The Stainless Steel Rat

I would like everyone who is bashing Proterm to please list the equipment,
peripherals, inits/das/cdevs, and system version.  I have been using Proterm
2.1 & for the last year 2.2, and have had very little problem with it at
all.  The only time I would lose characters would be when I have Appletalk
active and I boot to GSOS.  I have my HD setup to boot to ProDOS8 and have
a menu option on Prosel-8 to boot to GSOS.  I don't go to GSOS to use
Proterm since I have my computer set up for printing to Network printers.
I have heard that the problems is with the way Proterm handles interrupts.

Otherwise, Proterm is my most used comm program I own.  I work in an
Apple 2 and Mac environment and I use Proterm and Microphone II on the Mac.
I find myself using Proterm more often because it seems more comfortable.

I used to use Ascii Express years ago, then Mousetalk, and then finally
Proterm.

I will agree that with version 2.1, the macro language seemed like a foreign
language because the dox have almost no info on how to write them.  But the
new manual for 2.2 explains them in detail, including how to link diff. kinds
of macros.  It has been so helpful in taking advantage of the power in the
program.

It was also the only comm program on the Apple that would support YMODEM.
I called alot of local BBS's and most of them made it easier to d/l programs
using YMODEM instead of XMODEM.  (because of the batch capability)

The other main feature I like the most is the scrollback.  I currently have
2 megs in my ][gs (for the last 4 months) and I can get online to any service,
do whatever I need to do, and then afterward I can scrollback thru my session
and also save the scrollback to disk for later scanning.  That way I can leave
messages go by without necessarily reading them until I am offline and not
being charged for reading them.

I don't see where you have a problem with the menus.  They are straight
forward and easy to use. ( I am a computer programmer, and I still like the
interface).  I would wish that they would have a few of the file dialog
standard keys to the way files and volumes are selected (like tab to change
drives).  And if you are bothered by typing in a few commands, you can
program a global macro to d/l a file at the push of one button (actually
option-button).

If you want to continue bashing Proterm, please give some more detail about
your problems instead of just saying "It loses characters" or "It bombs alot".
I have rarely had Proterm bomb on me.  I don't remember the last time that
2.2 bombed on me.

Ok, I think I have said enought for now.

Live Long and Prosper!

George A. Piotrowski, Coordinator     CREN/Bitnet: V2071A@TEMPLEVM
Educational Computing Center             Internet: v2071a@vm.temple.edu
Temple University                       AppleLink: PIOTROWSKI1
Philadelphia, PA 19122             America Online: GaPio
(215) 787-6228             CI$: 74046,1304       Genie: G.PIOTROWSKI

Doc Brown: Obviously, the Time Continuum has been disrupted creating
this New Temporal Event Sequence resulting in this Alternate Reality!
Acknowledge-To: <V2071A@VM.TEMPLE.EDU>

GRAY@ADMIN.HumberC.ON.CA (Kelly Gray) (01/10/91)

I have another pet peeve with ProTerm. It may be because I am using
version 2.1 instead of the latest version, but this is what I find
happens to me.
 After logging off a BBS, it takes several seconds before ProTerm
realizes that I am no longer online. If I forget to wait, and start
dialling the next BBS in the list, it bombs with an error telling me
that I can't dial until I'm offline. If I happen to have set up a
BBSs to call in a rotating list, then hitting return at the error prompt
will attempt to dial the next BBS, AND GIVE ME THE SAME ERROR! There is
to exit that loop except to hit reset.

 The other bug that drives me nuts is that ProTerm will write all over my
RAMdisk. I suspect that the reason for that is because I have moved it to
slot 2 drive 1, but that was done to avoid problems with other software.

     <o_o>
 _________________________   ________________________________________
/                         \ /                                        \
|        Kelly Gray        |  The opinions expressed in the preceding |
|                          |  message are not guaranteed to represent |
| GRAY@ADMIN.HumberC.ON.CA |  any form of rational thought whatsoever |
\_________________________/ \_________________________________________/

dcw@lcs.mit.edu (David C. Whitney) (01/10/91)

In article <9101100605.AA03915@apple.com> V2071A@VM.TEMPLE.EDU ("George A. Piotrowski Jr.") writes:

[lots deleted]
>It [ProTerm] was also the only comm program on the Apple that would support
> YMODEM.

Wrongo. Z-Link has supported it from day 1 (late in '86, that is).
Now, With Jawaid Bazyar working on his Telcom program, there will be
another great shareware program (this one is GS only) to support a
great deal (including Ymodem - I already tested that).

--
Dave Whitney
Computer Science MIT 1990	| I wrote Z-Link and BinSCII. Send me bug

ART100@psuvm.psu.edu (Andy Tefft) (01/11/91)

I have had plenty of problems with proterm. Besides the fact that it
costs too much,

1. Its vt100 emulation rather sucks. For some of us, this is one
of the most important features in a term program. I haven't had the
intestinal fortitude to tell you exactly what sucks about the emulation
itself, except that it never seems to do or avoid line wrapping according
to my desires.

2. The way it handles vt100 KEYS definitely sucks:

   a) To send vt100 cursor key sequences you must press one of the
      apple keys with the arrows. Shouldn't have to.
   b) To send a vt100 keypad key I have to press an apple key plus
      the number which would be on the keypad key. For the top row,
      pf1-4 as they are marked, I have to hit shift-apple-1 etc.
      This is counter-intuitive. I never think what NUMBER is on the
      keypad key when I press it unless I am using it as a number,
      in which case I might as well hit the actual number key on my
      keyboard (which lacks a keypad). I like the way kermit handles
      vt100 keys.
   c) I cannot CHANGE either of these stupid key setups! Even Kermit
      lets me do that (kermit-a2, not kermit-65; kermit-a2 works
      well with my serial card by doing BUFFERING which proterm refuses
      to do).
3. Maybe this has to do with the particular copy of Proterm I have used
(don't have my own but have borrowed a friend's on occasion),
but whenever I abort a file transfer, the next transfer I attempt
causes the machine to lock up and hang.

I dunno, for my purposes these three reasons far outweigh any
scrollback buffer (BFD) or editor (same).

ART100@psuvm.psu.edu (Andy Tefft) (01/12/91)

This particular system is not a unix system. I have only a few
terminal types supported (basically vt100 or adm 3a) and vt100
is the only practical one to use. If I only needed vt52 I still
wouldn't waste my money on proterm because there are plenty of
other programs which do vt52 perfectly well and cost much much less.

MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET (01/12/91)

On Fri, 11 Jan 91 07:02:41 GMT The Unknown User said:

>	Could you please explain to me WHY vt100 emulation is so darn
>important?!

Well, I'm not the one you asked, but I'll explain why.  Most (or a very large
number) of university systems are vt-100 thingies... they expect function
keys and all that stuff.  Without vt-100 emulation, some of those systems
would be very difficult, if not impossible, to log onto to.  I, personally,
would not buy a telecomm program that didn't have a good vt-100 emulator.

>--
>/Apple II(GS) Forever! unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu MAIL ME FOR INFO ABOUT CHEAP CDs\
>\WRITE TO ORIGIN ABOUT ULTIMA VI //e and IIGS! Mail me for addresses, & info. /

  Michael J. Quinn
  University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
  BITNET--   mquinn@utcvm
  pro-line-- mquinn@pro-gsplus.cts.com

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (01/12/91)

In article <91010.230057ART100@psuvm.psu.edu> ART100@psuvm.psu.edu (Andy Tefft) writes:
>1. Its vt100 emulation rather sucks. For some of us, this is one
>of the most important features in a term program. I haven't had the
>intestinal fortitude to tell you exactly what sucks about the emulation
>itself, except that it never seems to do or avoid line wrapping according
>to my desires.

Genuine DEC VT100s have an extremely baroque and buggy line-wrap behavior.
My advice is to make sure that the host does not attempt to rely on the
VT100 line-wrap behavior; for example, on UNIX you would NOT specify the
"automargin" capability in termcap or terminfo, even if your VT100 (or
emulation thereof) has line wrap enabled.  It may also be necessary to
tell the host that your display is only 79 columns wide, so that it does
not accidentally trigger line wrap by displaying some character in the
80th column.

>   a) To send vt100 cursor key sequences you must press one of the
>      apple keys with the arrows. Shouldn't have to.

If the keypad is indistinguishable to Apple programs from the corresponding
main keyboard keys, there may be no alternative but to require some such
kludge.  (I don't know whether or not this is the case but it might be.)

>3. Maybe this has to do with the particular copy of Proterm I have used
>(don't have my own but have borrowed a friend's on occasion),
>but whenever I abort a file transfer, the next transfer I attempt
>causes the machine to lock up and hang.

This might be a genuine ProTerm bug, but note that AppleWorks GS 1.1
was shipped with a warning that aborting a multi-file download might
cause similar problems, and that it was due to a problem with GS/OS
(System Disk 5.0) that Apple was aware of and was working on.

AABENSON@MTUS5.BITNET (01/12/91)

Boy!  Oh, boy!  I didn't know there were so many dedicated ProTERM bashers
out there -- it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy!  :-)

bill@pro-gateway.cts.com (Bill Long, SysOp) (01/12/91)

>[lots deleted]
>>It [ProTerm] was also the only comm program on the Apple that would support
>> YMODEM.
>
>Wrongo. Z-Link has supported it from day 1 (late in '86, that is).
>Now, With Jawaid Bazyar working on his Telcom program, there will be
>another great shareware program (this one is GS only) to support a
>great deal (including Ymodem - I already tested that).

ReadyLink also supports Ymodem, plus I love the interface and the macro
language.

  Internet/ProLine: bill@pro-gateway.cts.com
+-----------+ UUCP: crash!pro-gateway!bill
|Pro-Gateway| ARPA: crash!pro-gateway!bill@nosc.mil
|214/6445113|
+-Dallas,TX-+

platkus@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Shawn W Platkus) (01/12/91)

In article <6553@mace.cc.purdue.edu> asd@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Kareth) writes:
>Ah!  Proterm bashing!  Here I come!
>
>In <9101100605.AA03915@apple.com> V2071A@VM.TEMPLE.EDU ("George A. Piotrowski Jr.") writes:
>
>>It was also the only comm program on the Apple that would support YMODEM.
>>I called alot of local BBS's and most of them made it easier to d/l programs
>>using YMODEM instead of XMODEM.  (because of the batch capability)
>
>I've yet to EVER get ANY of the protocols, except kermit to work to
>the Unix machines we use.  Our site has 7e1 for the word format.  I've
>tried all the standard sz, sb, sx, xmodem, etc trying to get it to
>work.  Proterm won't even acknowledge something is getting sent.  And
>yet I can jump into Mousetalk and download using xmodem whenever I
>wish.  I've even borrowed a copy of 2.2 to see if it would work.  It
>didn't.  It got chucked.  I've set all control characters to being
>escaped by sz, and I can't even get one block transfered.  And I KNOW
>zmodem will work across the lines, because my roommate did it all the
>time with his Mac, and I know others do it on their IBM's too.  Guess
>we didn't deserve a completely functional zmodem, after all it's just
>an Apple II eh?
>
>Now, I'll take my hatred of Proterm back if somebody can enlighten me
>to how to get Proterm to zmodem download over a direct connect 9600
>7e1 line.  Until such a time, it serves virtually no purpose to me.
>
>>I don't see where you have a problem with the menus.  They are straight
>>forward and easy to use. ( I am a computer programmer, and I still like the
>>interface).  I would wish that they would have a few of the file dialog
>>standard keys to the way files and volumes are selected (like tab to change
>>drives).  And if you are bothered by typing in a few commands, you can
>>program a global macro to d/l a file at the push of one button (actually
>>option-button).
>
>Have you ever seen Zterm on a Mac?  You initiate the zmodem (don't
>know if it does it on other protocols too) send and Zterm
>AUTOMATICALLY sees it, and starts downloading.  You just set the
>download directory before hand, and it does it.  Why can't Proterm?
>Yeah, the menu's are straight forward and easy to use, but which would
>you rather do?  Go thru menu's, or have Proterm automatically do the
>download.  And Zterm is shareware I believe.  One would think they
>would see better features in a package you have to pay so much more
>for.
>
>-k

I use ProTERM 2.2, and I know that X, Y, and Z modem all work fine.
I've called up a couple of my mac friends and we have transfered files using
zmodem, and Ymodem.
	But, just like you, I couldn't get ProTERM to work through the network
either.  It did the exact same thing you described.

I was working @ 2400 over phone lines.  A guy with a mac across the hall
dialed up with his mac, used the same rz and sz unix based protocals that I
tried, and it worked fine.  So we all know its ProTERM I guess.
But Zmodem with ProTERM works fine going to another micro!

Can anyone help us?

(What we really need is a good comm prog for the GS that uses the desktop
interface, supports terminal emulations, and all popular protocals, and
scrollback etc.  Like the Mac have)

In article <6553@mace.cc.purdue.edu> asd@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Kareth) writes:
>I've yet to EVER get ANY of the protocols, except kermit to work to
>the Unix machines we use.  Our site has 7e1 for the word format.  I've

	Now these are probably stupid suggestions, but I'll make 'em
anyway.. Please tell me I'm wrong if I'm wrong, but don't laugh at either
my suggestions or me.. (heh)

	(1) Have you tried LOGGING IN with 7e1 format then trying to download?!
		(i.e. your FORMAT setting in the dial parameter list is 7E1)

	(2) This one is more serious.. Are you RLOGGED in or TELNETTED in to
		the computer you're trying to download from? If so, it won't
		work, and it's not fair to blame it on ProTERM.. Actually
		if you do an rlogin -8 hostname, then it will work as it TELLS
		the UNIX system to use an 8 bit protocol and then you can
		still download.. I don't know of any trick like that for
		telnet..

	Other than that, I don't have the foggiest idea why you people have
so many problems (that's not meant as an insult)... I mean, if you're using
BSD 4.2 or 4.3, it should all work fine...

	Oh yes, if sz doesn't work, try "xmodem sbyk <filename list>"..
That will do Ymodem too..

	Both sz (with -options to tell it to be ymodem) and xmodem sbyk
have worked fine for me...

	Nobody answered my question why VT100 was so damn important either...
just curious..

bye
--

taob@pnet91.cts.com (Brian Tao) (01/13/91)

From gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn):

>>   a) To send vt100 cursor key sequences you must press one of the
>>      apple keys with the arrows. Shouldn't have to.
>
> If the keypad is indistinguishable to Apple programs from the
> corresponding main keyboard keys, there may be no alternative but
> to require some such kludge.  (I don't know whether or not this is
> the case but it might be.)

    I don't know about on the //e and //c, but the GS has a softswitch
location somehwere in the $C0xx range whose bits define various
characteristics of the key just pressed, i.e.: repeat on, numeric keypad, caps
lock down, shift down, etc.

Brian T. Tao  {taob@pnet91.cts.com} ||  Computer guru?  Someone who got
University of Metro Toronto         ||  their computer a couple of weeks
Scarberia, ON, MIC 3A8         *B-) ||  before you did.  (Alvin Toffler)

-Rich-@cup.portal.com (Richard Sherman Payne) (01/13/91)

I am not quoting the previous discussion, but the subject was
that PROTerm was not working with Unix Zmodem.

I have used Proterms Zmodem successfully with two Unix systems,
Portal, and Netcom. Portal does not give you shell access, but I
assume that they are using sz and rz. Netcom gives shell access,
and this is what I use. Both are Sun systems, which may or may
not be a factor. But I have had Zmodem hang, than fail on large
files when calling an IBM BBS (running Wildcat, Wicat?). Next time
I call I will try Ymodem, which is almost as good.

						Rich
					-Rich-@cup.portal.com

bbean@pro-grouch.cts.com (Bruce Bean) (01/13/91)

Ya read the docs,all 160+ pages of them........

fairall@ENUXHA.EAS.ASU.EDU (Don Fairall) (01/13/91)

For those who are debating the virtues of Proterm (or lack thereof), what
machines are you using?  Is it possible that Proterm only works well on an
accelerated machine (GS, //c+, accelerator card) that can poll the serial
port at a sufficent rate?

Don Fairall
fairall@enuxha.eas.asu.edu

llee@gnh-starport.cts.com (Larry Lee) (01/13/91)

I used ASCII Express for a year or so. Then I got sick of it.

AE ONLY supports ONE protocol, and that's X-Modem.
There is NO real scrollback. You have to put it in the COPY buffer.

Well, now that I TRY to think of the things I thought were horrible with that
program, I can't find any. I hate it when that happens. Anyways!

I don't know why everyone is complaining that ProTERM is "losing characters".
Losing them where?  I lose them in the control panel, but that's only every
once in a while, and I don't get lost of the word "Keyboard" turns into
"Keboard".  ProTERM also handles MORE transfer protocols, and to get ZMODEM
transfers, you go through TWO menues. ONE is to select your protocol in the
first, place, the SECOND is to specify the receive mode, default file type, and
the number of errors before transfer termination. TWO MENUS.

I know, life is SO hard, isn't it?

It crashes? I don't know what you're talking about. Very often? No. Once in a
blue moon? Yes.  It used to crash EVERY SINGLE TIME for me after exiting it to
several INITs and desk accessories which affected the ProDOS 8 quit call for
ALL applications. Now the only time it crashes is when my RamFAST card gets a
BA error.  I've been told that it's a memory error. Bad Address, maybe? But
the point is that ProTERM does NOT crash by itself easily. Have you ever used
version 2.2 yourself?

And the modem access command is +++. we are NOT that stupid.

<whew> Sorry for that tirade myself. I don't plan on making enemies here or
anything, but my point is that there is NOTHING wrong with ProTERM.

| ProLine.: llee@gnh-starport             | The other day a dog peed on me.  |
| UUCP....: crash!gnh-starport!llee       | A bad sign.                      |
| InterNet: llee@gnh-starport.cts.com     |                                  |
| AO .....: Shirley you can't be serious! |     - H.L. Mencken (1880-1956)   |

In article <9101121924.AA28414@apple.com> MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET writes:
>On Fri, 11 Jan 91 07:02:41 GMT The Unknown User said:
>>	Could you please explain to me WHY vt100 emulation is so darn
>>important?!
>Well, I'm not the one you asked, but I'll explain why.  Most (or a very large
>number) of university systems are vt-100 thingies... they expect function

	Most are "vt100 thingies"???

	But if they are using UNIX (at least BSD, and cshell, but I presume
all UNIX systems do something similar), they ASK for a termtype...

	And there are MANY MANY termtypes supported... Many others that will
function just as well as vt100 will.. Just like I'm using, tvi912c...
(actually "Televideo" on the ProTERM side, but I tell it "tvi912c" on the UNIX
side as that's a type of actual terminal I use a lot)...

	It works perfectly.. Are there people with UNIX account where it does
NOT ask you what termtype you have when you log on and just ASSUME that
you're using tvi912c?? (Even if it did, you could type "setenv TERM <termtype>"
and then do a "tset" to reset it...

	I just can't understand why vt100 is supposedly the be all and
end all of terminals... It just AIN'T.. And since ProTERM's vt100 doesn't
always work quite right (the 80th character problem sucks), just use a
different termtype!

	I really WANT to be proved wrong in this case... But I don't think I
will.
--

MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET (01/14/91)

On Sun, 13 Jan 91 07:20:59 GMT The Unknown User said:
>In article <9101121924.AA28414@apple.com> MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET writes:
>>On Fri, 11 Jan 91 07:02:41 GMT The Unknown User said:
>>>	Could you please explain to me WHY vt100 emulation is so darn
>>>important?!
>>Well, I'm not the one you asked, but I'll explain why.  Most (or a very large
>>number) of university systems are vt-100 thingies... they expect function
>
>   Most are "vt100 thingies"???

Sorry.  I couldn't think of anything more technical :)

>	But if they are using UNIX (at least BSD, and cshell, but I presume
>all UNIX systems do something similar), they ASK for a termtype...

But that's just it.... not all systems are UNIX!  Alot of people on here
think they are, but they most certainly are not. I'm using an IBM 3270
mainframe.  I know absolutely nothing about UNIX.  I don't even know if it
can work on an IBM 3270, but even if it can, that's not what our system is.
I'm using CMS right now.  We also have MUSIC/SP (crap) and a vax (when it's
working).  The thing is, vt-100 the THE protocal that most systems have in
common and that's why the VT-100 should work on ProTERM (or any other term
program, for that matter).

V2071A@VM.TEMPLE.EDU ("George A. Piotrowski Jr.") (01/16/91)

On Tue, 15 Jan 91 14:20:13 EST you said:
>Earlier on the net, you mentioned that you were willing to discuss Proterm
> problems
>with people.  Well, I'm haveing the problem of it dropping characters, which at
> times
>makes it slightly better than useless.  I'm using the program on a IIGS, a
> hayes-compat.
>modem, and an SSC.  I normally use the VT100 emulator.  It is version 2.2
>Any help would be appreciated.
>
>  --Ryan

Ryan,

Hi, I a few more questions to ask.  Are you using Proterm from ProDOS-8 or
from GSOS?  Are you using Appletalk?(Like printing to network Imagewriter or
LaserWriter)  If you are using GSOS and not using AppleTalk, do you have any
Inits/Cdevs/Das installed other than what has come with the system?

If I can think of any other questions, I will let you know.  I will gather up
all of the responses to see where people are having problems.  That is why
I am posting this message to info-apple.  I will say
that I am using Proterm on a //gs connecting to an ibm 4381 running CMS.  I
use kermit to do my file transfers with no problems.  I run Proterm from
Prodos-8 at work (because I have Appletalk active) and from GSOS at home and
I don't have any problems.  I have not had much of a chance to use Proterm on
a Unix system, but have used it on a Vax VMS with no problems that I can
remember.  I have used it with lots of trouble on a Cyber 860, but I don't
use that system much, and even our computer dept puts out a separate copy of
Kermit (on the ibm pc) for that machine.

Okay, I think I have said enough for now, so please respond.  If I get enough
valid responses, I will send the results on to Insync to see if they can
correct the problems.

Later for now,

greg@hoss.unl.edu (Lig Lury Jr.) (01/18/91)

... dunadan@blake.u.washington.edu (Steven Owen) writes:
>... GRAY@ADMIN.HumberC.ON.CA (Kelly Gray) writes:

>>   I have an enchanced //e running ProDOS 8 V 1.9, ProSel 8 V 4.0, and
>>ProTerm V 2.1. I also have a Ramworks III card with 1 Meg of memory. I am
>>using the RAMdisk driver from ProSel to set up half of my Ramworks card
>>as a RAMdrive is slot 4 drive 1. ProTerm proceeds to set up a scrollback
>>buffer that is considerably larger than the free space on the Ramworks
>>card, so I can only conclude that it is setting up to overwrite the
>>RAMdisk. ProTerm does NOT remove the RAMdisk driver, nor does it reduce
>>the size of the RAMdisk to accomodate the scrollback buffer.

If your RAMdisk is not full, it will compute that the free space is the
total of free memory and unused RAMdisk space.  If the RAMdisk is
allocated completely, ProTERM will not attempt to use it.

>My system is almost identical to yours, except I'm running ProDOS 1.8.  I use
>ProSel, ProTERM 2.1, and have my 1 MB Ramworks III configured entirely as a
>RAMdisk (I use ProSel's driver and leave the RAMdisk in slot 3, drive 1 as
>/RAM).  And, as you point out, every time I start up ProTERM, it says I've
>got 690k of scrollback space.  However, since I usually keep my /RAM volume
>25% full (I run a BBS, and store files in /RAM to speed things up), I would
>expect that some of these files would be deleted or corrupted; especially
>since, at times, my scrollback can get quite large (a routine ProTERM session
>would be reading 5-6 Usenet newsgroups, and a couple of local bulletin boards).
>This has never happened.

That is because those files are actually taking up memory.  ProTERM will
not use memory taken up by files in the RAMdisk.  V2.1 however WILL write
over any files you save in your RAMdisk DURING a ProTERM session.  Get
v2.2, and this will not happen.

>I can only surmise that when ProTERM sets up its scrollback buffer, it only
>uses the non-occupied blocks in /RAM, or perhaps uses up memory from the "end"
>of the RAMcard, moving forward as it fills up.  I dunno.  It's a weird beast,
>and one would expect the program to be able to recognize available RAMdisk
>space and use it only if it isn't already configured as a ProDOS volume.

That is what it is doing.

>>   How can I set up ProTerm to leave the RAMdrive memory alone? The manual
>>only says that Proterm will recognise either AE's ProDrive or the ProSel
>>driver, but as far as I can see, it does neither.

>I have yet to find a way to do this.  Anybody?  Anybody?  (Bueller?)

If you insist on using v2.1 (and I don't know why you would), take a
program like Copy II Plus, ProDOS version (I use v8.2 myself, and hate
v9.x) and select Verify Disk on your RAMdisk.  After it scans the entire
RAMdisk, run ProTERM.  Your scrollback will be MUCH smaller, but rest
assured it will NOT destroy any of your RAMdisk files that you save during
a session.

Or get v2.2.

>... also, I quit using [the CACHE program in ProSel] it with my BBS (run under
>BASIC.SYSTEM and ModemWorks) when it kept corrupting random blocks on the hard
>drive

Eww, what BBS is that, Magic City Micro, Sonic BBS, or some other
AppleSoft BBS I haven't heard of?

There used to be a MCMBBS here long ago, but it went down before I
arrived.  There used to be an SBBS system as well, but he got ACOS.  Now
we're both looking into METAL.

>--Mike Owen, sysop of the Broken Blade: (206) 781-9424, 300-2400 baud, 24 hrs

And me with mine currently configured as an answering machine, after a
power outage wiping out my Ursa Minor Beta configuration.  One day before
scheduled backups.  What's the best uninterruptable power supply available
these days?

--
   ///   ____   \\\
   | |/ /    \ \| |    greg@hoss.unl.edu
    \\_( \==/ )_//     Lig Lury Jr.
        \__\\/

greg@hoss.unl.edu (Lig Lury Jr.) (05/13/91)

hennessy@acsu.buffalo.edu (Mathew A Hennessy) writes:
>Peter.G.Wilding@dartmouth.edu (Peter G. Wilding) writes:

>>Yep, ProTERM is it.  Tell your friend to get that. It fits on one
>>floppy disk, and the other drive which your friend has will be
>>available for transfers or whatever.  ProTERM supports a huge number of
>>interfaces and modems.  ProTERM was just released in a new version (too
>>bad some bugs still remain), and it is getting completely overhauled
>>for a later release.  Definitely tell your friend to get ProTERM.  It's
>>the easiest to use term program around.

Yeah, it'll fit on a 5.25" disk, but that doesn't leave enough space for
macros and a dialing list, unless you've got them formatted for 40 tracks.
Myself, I keep it in my /RAM5 on my IIgs.

>Yes, ProTERM is one program I miss moving to the MSDOS world from
>Apple... I especially miss the scrollback buffer and unshakeable autolearn
>macros..

Hmm, I have trouble getting them to work in connection with L&L Support,
which is now having you hit ESCAPE before you login, due to them running
Fruity-Dog, for Fido-Net access.  Then again, they do keep changing the
login text.  (Anyone notice that L&L no-longer prints the GBBS copyright
notice on logoff?  Hmm...)

>Do you know offhand whether ProTERM will have ANSI color anytime soon
>(the apple's weakest link besides speed)?

I don't think so.  I think the only thing you can hope for is ANSI
monochrome, since you'd have to use either the DHGR mode or 640 mode on
the IIgs.  There are no plans to create a IIgs specific ProTERM.  The only
ANSI term for the Apple II series I know of is AGATE, with v0.69 allowing
Zmodem.

>I still remember making ProTERM
>animations (ProTERM has its own special term protocol, and it's got most of
>the special ANSI chars in mousetext.), veritable works of art.

BUZZ!  The "special ANSI chars" are not part of ANSI.  The graphics
characters come from the high end of the IBM character set, and are not
part of the ANSI standard.

>Hennessy@acsu.buffalo.edu

ProTERM's biggest problem right now is with Zmodem.  With the machines
here, I can't transfer anything reliably without 8th bit quoting, which
ProTERM doesn't recognize.  Also the VT100 still has one bug that bugs me.
When doing an ASCII-Send, the top-of-screen bar shows up and starts
corrupting the scrollback.  NOTE: I know enough to turn the thing bar off
in vt-100 mode.  It is calling it back when it does an ASCII Send, with
undesirable results.

Hmm, perhaps this thread has drifted too far from the topic of alt.bbs,
and should be sent over to comp.sys.apple2?

--
///   ____   \\\ |"What?  What's going on?  Who's this?...  Ladies and
| |/ /    \ \| | | Gentlemen, a big hand please for the Great Prophet Zarquon."
 \\_|\____/|_//  |"Uh, thank you, sorry I'm late, so many things cropping up at
greg \_\\\/ hoss | the last moment.  How are we for time?  Have I just got a min

Peter.G.Wilding@dartmouth.edu (Peter G. Wilding) (05/15/91)

In article <1991May13.163710.19160@unlinfo.unl.edu>
greg@hoss.unl.edu (Lig Lury Jr.) writes:

> ProTERM's biggest problem right now is with Zmodem.

The scoop: Andy Nicholas has written a Zmodem protocol for GBBS, and
will be releasing it soon.  This should correspond roughly with the new
release of ProTERM, which will HOPEFULLY have all of its many and
varied bugs fixed.

-pete

greg@hoss.unl.edu (Lig Lury Jr.) (05/18/91)

grohol@novavax.UUCP (John Grohol) writes:

>My only question for ProTERM is: Whay after all these years doesn't it
>support color and ANSI graphics, two things almost all other (even
>COMMIE's!!) support!! I hope v3.0 (due out this summer) corrects this.

Think.  How are you going to get decent 80-column ANSI emulation with IBM
graphic characters and color codes without moving up to an Apple IIgs?
The authors have stated categorically that a IIgs specific version will
not be written.

You want ANSI text?  Either get AGATE, or an IBM.

>   John M. Grohol                    ||  Nova University
>   Internet: grohol@novavax.nova.edu ||  Center for Psychological Studies

And dammit, ANSI doesn't have graphics.  It is just the extension of the
IBM character set, as MouseText is for the Apple II series.

--
///   ____   \\\  Lig       "By the way, what does teleport mean?"  "Where
| |/ /    \ \| |  Lury    does it say teleport!"  "Oh, right over here, just
 \\_|\____/|_//   Jr.     below the word Emergency, above the word `System',
greg \_\\\/ hoss.unl.edu    and next to a sign which says `Out of Order'."

MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET (05/19/91)

On Sat, 18 May 91 01:58:41 GMT <info-apple-request@APPLE.COM> said:

>And dammit, ANSI doesn't have graphics.  It is just the extension of the
>IBM character set, as MouseText is for the Apple II series.

I think it's understood that he's talking about IBM ANSI, even though it's
not TRUE ANSI, -it- does have graphics characters.

  BITNET--  mquinn@utcvm    <------------send files here
  pro-line-- mquinn@pro-gsplus.cts.com

greg@hoss.unl.edu (Lig Lury Jr.) (05/23/91)

MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET writes:
>greg@hoss.unl.edu (Lig Lury, Jr.) writes:

>>And dammit, ANSI doesn't have graphics.  It is just the extension of the
>>IBM character set, as MouseText is for the Apple II series.

>I think it's understood that he's talking about IBM ANSI, even though it's
>not TRUE ANSI, -it- does have graphics characters.

It still stands that the IBM graphics characters are not part of ANSI.  It
should be possible for an IBM machine to send its 8th-bit characters
without any of the abilities of ANSI.  (I am often annoyed at systems that
recognize this difference, but don't have the ability to say, "I'm not an
IBM," and continue giving you 8th-bit garbage around menus.)

///   ____   \\\ "The major problem--one of the major problems, for there are
| |/ /    \ \| |       several--one of the many major problems with governing
 \\_|\____/|_//            people is of whom you get to do it, or more to the
greg \_\\\/ hoss.unl.edu    point, who gets people to let them do it to them."

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (05/23/91)

In article <1991May22.182839.5194@unlinfo.unl.edu>, greg@hoss.unl.edu (Lig Lury Jr.) writes:
> It still stands that the IBM graphics characters are not part of ANSI.

It's bad enough already without further abusing the term.  "ANSI" is a U.S.
standards organization recognized by ISO (which is an international s.o.).
American National Standard X3.64 specifies what people loosely call "ANSI
terminal" behavior.  X3.64 does not cover the IBM PC extensions for line-
drawing characters and other character graphics.  Note that DEC's VT100
terminal, perhaps the first implementation of X3.64, had already provided
such characters as DEC-specific extensions beyond X3.64, but naturally IBM
ignored existing practice and came up with their own incompatible extension
for this.  Thus, any faithful emulation of the VT100 will discard the high
bit of the 8-bit bytes and not support IBM PC graphic extension characters.

I don't know where the term "ANSI graphics" originated, but it's a horrible
misnomer.