[comp.sys.apple2] BinSCII's future

davewh@microsoft.UUCP (05/21/91)

Yes indeed, BinSCII has a future. unknown@ucsb.ucsc.edu asks why we
don't start a revolution. That is my intent precisely. I'm mostly
done with the encoder for BinSCII II archives. I have to read up on
how to handle resource forks (just generically - no need to extract
specific resources) for both GS and Mac. Once that's done, the
decoder should follow quickly. Then we'll have a generic BinSCII. I'm
going on vacation for a week, so nothing's gonna happen until June 4
when I get back.

uuencode sucks
binhex sucks
atob and btoa suck

These three all do not support automatic breakup of large files. None
support automatic hunting for the real data while decoding. uuencode
isn't "safe" accross different character sets (ie, ASCII <-> EBCDIC).
(the others probably aren't either - I'm not sure.)  None of them
contain file system independent data for quick decoding on foreign
file systems. None of them allow you to decode a broken file in any
order. None of them will let you know when the whole file has been
decoded. BinSCII I already supports most of these features.  BinSCII
II will support all fo them.

I CAN'T IMAGINE WHY ANYONE WANTS TO SWITCH TO UUENCODE!

Please be patient. I will finish BinSCII II as my tired brain allows
me. Working 9 hours in front of 2 computers does not get one excited
to work more hours in front of another computer at home...

Dave Whitney	Microsoft Corp, Work Group Apps  dcw@goldilocks.lcs.mit.edu or
I wrote Z-Link and BinSCII - send me bug reports. {...}!uunet!microsoft!davewh
I only work here. All opinions herein aren't Bill's, they're mine.
"We're samplin' - Yeah we're doin' it. We take good music an' we ruin it."
   -- "Rap Isn't Music"

toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (05/23/91)

davewh@microsoft.UUCP writes:

>uuencode sucks
>binhex sucks
>atob and btoa suck

most real uuencode implementations I've seen search for the "begin 644 file"
line. atob/btoa are EBCDIC safe, and use an 85 character alphabet (base 85
lets you encode four bytes into five characters, whereas binscii/binhex/uu
encode three bytes into four characters).

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

fadden@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Andy McFadden) (05/23/91)

In article <9105221610.AA25521@beaver.cs.washington.edu> davewh@microsoft.UUCP writes:
>Please be patient. I will finish BinSCII II as my tired brain allows
>me. Working 9 hours in front of 2 computers does not get one excited
>to work more hours in front of another computer at home...

And people wonder why NuLib and Arc3D took so damn long...

If you start to get tics in your eyes, go out and get some sun.  It works,
really.

--
fadden@cory.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden)
..!ucbvax!cory!fadden