[comp.sys.apple2] Questiosn

szatezal@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Shane M Zatezalo) (05/23/91)

 I just got back from the good ol' computer store, and now I've got a
couple questions...

 #1 When the new finder is released (this summer?) is it to be called
    System Disk(s) 6.0? Does this mean that GSOS itself will be updated,
    as well as the Finder?

 #2 What GS software works with the Video Overlay Card?
    What software doesn't??

 #3 Since someone was asking about digitizing & the VOC card, has anyone done
    this? (yes, I realize the VOC can't digitize)

    What I am considering is buying the VOC (what's a good price?) and in the
    summer buying the Visionary card as well. I've got a Sonic Blaster to
    handle the sound playing/mixing, and two vcrs.)

And FINALLY, check out this post I saw a while back, about using Apple's
Full Page Scanner with the GS. It obviously can and has been done. I hope the
drivers for this are released with the next version of the system disk!!

<  Subj  > Stuff
<  Date  > 02/20/91  11:18:32 PM

Speaking about drivers, at a recent Apple Core meeting (a bay area apple users
group) Jim Merrit (apple R 'n D) came and demoed the star wars demo and some
other stuff.  And 'lo and behold, there was an Apple Flatbed Scanner driver on
his HD!!  He said it's been around for a while but no developer showed an
interest in it!!!  Geeze, are they ALL brain dead?

People have been pestering Apple for YEARS to write drivers for all of the GS
compatible Mac hardware floating out around there. . .

 Shane  szatezal@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu -or- al460@cleveland.freenet.edu

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (05/23/91)

In article <1991May22.214432.4493@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu> szatezal@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Shane M Zatezalo) writes:
> #1 When the new finder is released (this summer?) is it to be called
>    System Disk(s) 6.0? Does this mean that GSOS itself will be updated,
>    as well as the Finder?

Apple employees who know what would likely be provided tend to not say,
because of Apple policy against preannouncement of products.  Therefore
it is unlikely that you can get exact, reliable information about this.

Certainly System Disk 6.0 would include more than just a Finder upgrade.
"Rumor has it" that the MidiSynth, Animation, and Modem toolsets would be
included.  There are undoubtedly bug fixes and improvements to GS/OS and
other tools that would be included in any such system disk upgrade.
Logical, but not yet promised, enhancements would include an HFS FST so
that Mac disks could be directly read on the Apple II (as opposed to
having to have a real Mac on the other end of an AppleShare link).

> #2 What GS software works with the Video Overlay Card?
>    What software doesn't??

I have a VOC and, with the IIGS video looped to the VOC, the only
software I have noticed not functioning properly is software that makes
use of scan-line interrupts to revise display pallettes (etc.) on the fly.
This category includes 3200-color and border display code.  All normal
paint programs, etc. have no problem with the VOC.

> #3 Since someone was asking about digitizing & the VOC card, has anyone done
>    this? (yes, I realize the VOC can't digitize)

Do you mean, has anyone coupled a frame grabber directly to the VOC?
I haven't heard of any but would also like to know of one.

>And FINALLY, check out this post I saw a while back, about using Apple's
>Full Page Scanner with the GS. It obviously can and has been done. I hope the
>drivers for this are released with the next version of the system disk!!

At last year's KansasFest, a prototype of software for this was handed out
(but not for redistribution).  If the Animation tools etc. would make it
onto the next System Disk, I'd think that the SCSI tape and scanner support
would also.

>...  And 'lo and behold, there was an Apple Flatbed Scanner driver on
>his HD!!  He said it's been around for a while but no developer showed an
>interest in it!!!  Geeze, are they ALL brain dead?

Probably.