[comp.sys.apple2] Apple II BBS Software

szatezal@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Shane M Zatezalo) (05/23/91)

>grohol@novavax.UUCP (John Grohol) writes:
>ENT0022@OUACCVMB.BITNET writes:

>>>Hello everyone, I am interested to setup me own BBS but I do not have any
>>>experiment.  Could anyone provide me the information regarding to how to
>>>setup BBS, what kind of BBS software I should use.  What kind of thing I
>>>should aware of.

>>I can only assume you are running some kind of Apple II (since ya posted
>>it here...) So that leaves you with about 6 choices, 2 of which are
>>the only real programs to run on an Apple II for a BBS.

>>GBBS Pro (from L&L) is the "standard" of Apple II BBS's. It's been
>>around for years... Its relatively easy to program in, but has
>> [etc etc]

>METAL code is very similar to ACOS (GBBS's language) code, but with some
>changes and extensions.  I have some problems with it so far.  First, it
>doesn't have message files, which I feel is ACOS's strongest point.
>Second, it currently doesn't work with my modem.  (I'm thinking about
>getting a new one anyway.  My sister can use my DataLink 2400 on her
>IIe.)  Third, I still don't have a manual, so I can't even begin to
>attempt to write my own driver for the modem.

>Since it is still fairly new, it has bugs.  While it can handle
>emulations, it still doesn't recognize a ? in PSE mode as an _.  So far
>the only program I have found that recognizes that properly is ProTERM.
>(!)  It can be a real good program, as soon as all the bugs are worked out
>of it.  I don't know what the status of the Assembly ability is right now,
>but I was told it didn't work on the version I got.

 [other misc. stuff del'd]

"Since it is fairly new", and you wrote about those problems a couple
months ago, I think you should check out M.E.T.A.L. again. The program
is evolving at an enormous rate, and there have been MANY bug fixes.
(And yes, it does have "message files")

If you try to compare a GBBS/Acos/Macos bulletin board system, you CAN'T.
To program in M.E.T.A.L. is sooooo easy.  And it WORKS!! Acos has habits
of not compiling the same thing twice the same.

How can you even recommend Acos over Metal????

>> John M. Grohol                     ||  Nova University - Ft. Lauderdale, FL
>> Internet: grohol@novavax.nova.edu  ||  Center for Psychological Studies

>I'm planning on writing a comparison article on "The Big Three" in II
>Sysops in the second issue.

Sweet... I'd like to see what you come up with!

--

 Shane  szatezal@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu -or- al460@cleveland.freenet.edu